Confirmed Trade: [TOR/OTT] Nikita Zaitsev, Connor Brown, and M. Carcone for Cody Ceci, B. Harpur, A. Luchuk, 2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
There's a tweet of his where he said there would likely be a sweetener and surmised it could be brown and or a pick. I don't really feel like going and finding it though...

I already posted the tweet above. It says nothing of the sort.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
·

@TSNBobMcKenzie
It may well be there is a sweetener going from TOR to OTT to facilitate Zaitsev for Ceci. It could be a player (Connor Brown?) or it could be a pick. But there will no doubt be some additional piece going from TOR to OTT.

Fair enough, I was wrong. That being said, considering Toronto's cap restrictions, I dont think of Brown as much of a sweetener, and more doing the Leafs a favor at this point.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough, I was wrong. That being said, considering Toronto's cap restrictions, I dont think of Brown as much of a sweetener, and more doing the Leafs a favor at this point.
I disagree on Brown not having value. I don’t think the Leafs will miss him with their depth but I think he probably could bring back a third round pick. Given the opportunity on another team I think he could be a decent third line player.

bdp

Aug 21, 2008
"TOR and OTT appear to have a tentative trade in place that would send Nikita Zaitsev to OTT in exchange for Cody Ceci. There may be another part or parts to it but the deal can’t be finalized until July 1, when TOR pays Zaitsev’s $3M signing bonus.

literally read his following tweet

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I disagree on Brown not having value. I don’t think the Leafs will miss him with their depth but I think he probably could bring back a third round pick. Given the opportunity on another team I think he could be a decent third line player.

It's really a win/win. Toronto sheds much needed cap space, Ottawa gets a serviceable player, and Brown gets a chance to perhaps play higher in the lineup and get himself rewarded with a new contract.

Reactions: TML1990

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Please show me where he says the word sweetener.

"It may well be there is a sweetener going from TOR to OTT to facilitate Zaitsev for Ceci. It could be a player (Connor Brown?) or it could be a pick. But there will no doubt be some additional piece going from TOR to OTT."

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
"It may well be there is a sweetener going from TOR to OTT to facilitate Zaitsev for Ceci. It could be a player (Connor Brown?) or it could be a pick. But there will no doubt be some additional piece going from TOR to OTT."

Thanks, it's been addressed multiple times now.

Reactions: TML1990

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's really a win/win. Toronto sheds much needed cap space, Ottawa gets a serviceable player, and Brown gets a chance to perhaps play higher in the lineup and get himself rewarded with a new contract.
Yeah I like the deal for both teams although I’m not that high on either Zaitsev or Ceci who both have pretty bad metrics. Depends on what Toronto uses the cap space for though. I have to think that they’re looking at Ceci for at least one year as they’ve lost Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev and Dermott will miss some time. They need to still pick up a few defenders.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Will be interesting to see if the Leafs roll with Ceci for a year as a stopgap or flip him before the year.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

What kind of player is brown? If hes not a top 6er he'll be competing for his job indefinetely may not be re signed past RFA tbh.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I like the deal for both teams. Depends on what Toronto uses the cap space for though. I have to think that they’re looking at Ceci for at least one year as they’ve lost Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev and Dermott will miss some time. They need to still pick up a few defenders.

At this point, I think they almost have to look at Ceci on a 1 year deal, which while not ideal, is much better than another 5 years of Zaitsev.

If the arb number comes back at a number that simply isn't manageable, they walk away and try to add elsewhere.

Ideally, they get Ceci to agree to a small cap number prove it deal. Which I really dont see happening, unfortunately.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's a 3rd liner on a good team, but 100% top 6 on Ottawa

He was a 4th liner on the Leafs to end the season and into the playoffs. He's a fringe 3rd liner on a good team, ideally a 4th liner who PK's for you. Not ideal for 2.1 million.

If he's in your top 6, you're bad. Like really bad.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
At this point, I think they almost have to look at Ceci on a 1 year deal, which while not ideal, is much better than another 5 years of Zaitsev.

If the arb number comes back at a number that simply isn't manageable, they walk away and try to add elsewhere.

Ideally, they get Ceci to agree to a small cap number prove it deal. Which I really dont see happening, unfortunately.

I don't think they can walk away from the arb number if it isn't manageable. There is a number (somewhere around $3 million) that teams can't walk away from. Unless I am missing what you mean by walk away.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I don't think they can walk away from the arb number if it isn't manageable. There is a number (somewhere around $3 million) that teams can't walk away from. Unless I am missing what you mean by walk away.

you have it wrong.

It's the 4.337 million or so line that teams can't walk away from if it's under that.

Reactions: Baxterman

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He was a 4th liner on the Leafs to end the season and into the playoffs. He's a fringe 3rd liner on a good team, ideally a 4th liner who PK's for you. Not ideal for 2.1 million.

If he's in your top 6, you're bad. Like really bad.

We are tanking for Byfield/Lafreniere. Have you seen our forwards?!

Reactions: derriko

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
over 4.3 million I believe, it was posted earlier(walkaway number)

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
you have it wrong.

It's the 4.337 million or so line that teams can't walk away from if it's under that.

Which shouldn't be an issue considering Ceci made 4.3 last year. Also a reason as to why perhaps he accepts his QO, if he think the Leafs will just walk away. What would Ceci command if he were an UFA?

Maybe the Leafs can sign him and get creative, say 4.3/year but the Leafs give him a considerable signing bonus, say 3 million. Does Ceci then become more attractive to potential teams at 1.3/year in actual dollars?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Which shouldn't be an issue considering Ceci made 4.3 last year. Also a reason as to why perhaps he accepts his QO, if he think the Leafs will just walk away. What would Ceci command if he were an UFA?

Maybe the Leafs can sign him and get creative, say 4.3/year but the Leafs give him a considerable signing bonus, say 3 million. Does Ceci then become more attractive to potential teams at 1.3/year in actual dollars?

I honestly think something like that may be the case.

It doesn't make sense for the Leafs to let him go for nothing when he has some value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad