Speculation: [TOR/NYR] Bozak for Holden?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think that most people in this thread recognise that the plus added to Holden for Bozak would have to be equal or greater to that of Holden's value himself

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
fair enough, I really don't know if the plan is to hold on Bozak or if we're ready to let Nylander take over. Babcock was adamant that Nylander will be a winger this year in an end of year press conference so that may mean that Bozak is staying and will only be available at the TDL if we're out of it

Babcock said that Nylander would be a winger back in April.
Since then they signed Patrick Marleau who has played center and is good on face-offs and defensively which will allow Nylander to take the offensive draws and Marleau could take the defensive draws (or they could each take the draws on their strong side) until such time as Babcock is confident enough in Nylander to allow him to take all the draws.
Marleau's signing made Bozak expendable, will allow Nylander's development at center to progress quicker and freed up a spot for Kapanen on the right wing in the opening night line up.
Marleau = win + win + win

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Babcock said that Nylander would be a winger back in April.
Since then they signed Patrick Marleau who has played center and is good on face-offs and defensively which will allow Nylander to take the offensive draws and Marleau could take the defensive draws (or they could each take the draws on their strong side) until such time as Babcock is confident enough in Nylander to allow him to take all the draws.
Marleau's signing made Bozak expendable, will allow Nylander's development at center to progress quicker and freed up a spot for Kapanen on the right wing in the opening night line up.
Marleau = win + win + win

that could be the case for sure, the statement was that Nylander would be a winger not that Bozak was going to be here

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Say Bozak is dealt for futures or a bottom 4 rhd who doesn't have term or is old i could see a top 9 of:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Leo-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Marleau-Nylander

The third line would have the rotations of Nylander as a center. Pretty balanced with Kadri taking the matchups allowing the other 2 lines to run rampant

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Say Bozak is dealt for futures or a bottom 4 rhd who doesn't have term or is old i could see a top 9 of:

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Leo-Kadri-Brown
JVR-Marleau-Nylander

The third line would have the rotations of Nylander as a center. Pretty balanced with Kadri taking the matchups allowing the other 2 lines to run rampant

I'd still be inclined to get Hyman to the 4th line and let Kapanen/Leivo have a shot at a scoring line. But I think your point is that we're deep enough and that certainly seems true

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd still be inclined to get Hyman to the 4th line and let Kapanen/Leivo have a shot at a scoring line. But I think your point is that we're deep enough and that certainly seems true

I just have a feeling we will be seeing Matthews with Hyman for the next couple of years.. not that I want him there lol.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I'd point out that Holden played most of last year on the wrong (right) side and put up 34 points. There were times he was an adventure in his own end but not all the time. For $1.65 mil that's good value. I don't have a big issue with him on our D next year--though I don't see a top 4 role for him with McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith and Skjei.

It certainly makes some sense for Toronto to do this. $4.2 mil for a 3rd line center is pricey and if they want to find some cap space for Connor Brown--then Bozak is kind of the odd man out. I could see the Rangers adding but beyond a 3rd I wouldn't do it. Rangers need to hang on to their 1st's and 2nd's for a while.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Value aside--contract limit may be a problem for us.

Value aside, we are also looking to move Holden because we have a logjam on D at the moment, so not sure adding another guy looking for an NHL spot in that jam is going to be the factor that makes us give up a 1st vs a 2nd.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Almost identical, except older, worse defensively and a UFA at the end of the year.

So, not very identical at all really.

As an NYR fan I get the logic behind using Bozak as a stop gap, but I don't like him very much. I'd rather just deal something more valuable for a longer term solution and be done with it.

makes 2.25 million less as well for that same production.

good luck finding a long term option as a top 6 center, and be prepared to pay a lot more than Holden and a 2nd

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd point out that Holden played most of last year on the wrong (right) side and put up 34 points. There were times he was an adventure in his own end but not all the time. For $1.65 mil that's good value. I don't have a big issue with him on our D next year--though I don't see a top 4 role for him with McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Smith and Skjei.

It certainly makes some sense for Toronto to do this. $4.2 mil for a 3rd line center is pricey and if they want to find some cap space for Connor Brown--then Bozak is kind of the odd man out. I could see the Rangers adding but beyond a 3rd I wouldn't do it. Rangers need to hang on to their 1st's and 2nd's for a while.

this has been debunked multiple times. the leafs have likely already put both Lupul and Horton on LTIR. They are probably looking at 5-6 million in cap space

Holden + a 3rd just doesnt get it done. not for a 55 pt C that is one of the better faceoff men in the league. leafs were good last year because they could roll 3 scoring lines (Matthews line 72g, Bozak line 66g, Kadri line 66g) regardless of which line is labelled a 3rd line, with that production they are rolling a 1st line and two 2nd lines.

Holden + Graves or Holden+2nd+B prospect or no deal

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bozak for a 1st?! Never fail to make me laugh, Leafs fans.

Reaves, Ryan

"but he didnt technically bring back a 1st on his own"

Is Bozak worth more than Reaves and the last pick in rd 2?

yes

hard to argue bozak isnt worth a late 1st to a contender, especially one that desperately needs a stopgap 2C

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Reaves, Ryan

"but he didnt technically bring back a 1st on his own"

Is Bozak worth more than Reaves and the last pick in rd 2?

yes

hard to argue bozak isnt worth a late 1st to a contender, especially one that desperately needs a stopgap 2C

The Rangers wouldn't trade their 1st though, and Bozak wouldn't return that if he was traded right now. Maybe in a bidding war at the deadline if he is one of the best players available.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He certainly can be. He was on our team last year. We did pretty decent with him in that role.

at the end of the season/playoffs he wasnt. he had a very good few months where he was definitely a top 4 dman, but would any rangers fan say he is above mcdonaugh, skjei, smith or shattenkirk?

Bozak + contract dump (smith) for Holden + Graves.
what say you?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Why would both organizations tell their players they have been traded when the trade hasn't even been made yet. Its not like teams are going to tell their players if they are in negotiations to trade them, Most of the time players dont even find out they were traded by their team (they find out from social media,TV,texts from friends,whatever)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad