Proposal: Tor - NJ

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
To be fair the only reason he didn't sign with us is because we had center depth already with Nico, Zacha, Henrique and Zajac at the time. He was pretty open about it.

He wanted to sign with a team where he had more of an opportunity.
Great, stay in Toranta

Last edited:

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Dubas has stated he's looking to add players on expiring contracts, given the flat cap and upcoming expansion draft.

Devils have 8 pending UFA's on their roster, yet we're talking about them possibly moving their 23-year old team leading point producer or their 24-year old team leading goal scorer?

He'll also do hockey deals, expiring contracts are maybe easier because teams maybe are willing to retain to make trades work. Miles Wood is 25. If I'm in New Jerseys position, I'll be scared to turn into Edmonton. I'd be looking to deal some young forwards for young D. Sandin is a really good piece, but as Blackjack has mentioned New Jersey is pretty good at LHD, and if you draft Power or Hughes this year that's makes the group even better.

What about:

Liljegren, Engvall
for
Zacha, Maltsev or Kuokkanen

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
And yet you want to move "your guy"
Not exactly, it's not that simple.
Kerfot is a good player inherently, I think people are taking it as he sucks for two reasons. One like you mentioned he's in every trade. And two is that he has a 3.5 mil cap hit.
Kerfoot is a fine player but if you could upgrade to forsberg you do it.

The leafs don't have to move him and he's a good piece. But if we can find a better piece why not? If we are trading him his value isn't that high however. Like I said its not cause he's not good its cause teams trading the better player are not going to care. To them he and rightfully so is to make cap work. If kerfoot was making a million dollars. We wouldn't be having this convo.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He'll also do hockey deals, expiring contracts are maybe easier because teams maybe are willing to retain to make trades work. Miles Wood is 25. If I'm in New Jerseys position, I'll be scared to turn into Edmonton. I'd be looking to deal some young forwards for young D. Sandin is a really good piece, but as Blackjack has mentioned New Jersey is pretty good at LHD, and if you draft Power or Hughes this year that's makes the group even better.

What about:

Liljegren, Engvall
for
Zacha, Maltsev or Kuokkanen

I don't think Engvall holds much value for NJ. He's more of what they already have to a large degree. If TOR was willing to move Lilljegren for any combo of expiring UFAs I'm sure NJ would be all ears but TOR wouldn't seem to have cap and Palmieri and Zajac have trade protection (partial in the case of Palmieri). Maybe there is a fit with Lilljegren and Maltsev but NJ is getting NHL contributions from Zacha and Kuokkanen and both still have upside so I doubt either would get moved for a promising but still unproven prospect. I doubt TOR would move Lilljegren for a 3C sort of player in the case of Maltsev. It just doesn't seem to be a great fit.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Zacha has over twice as many points as Andreas Johnson who virtually every leaf fan considered a top six last year in Toronto.
Eh he was a mid 6. AJ did have a 20 goal season and 15 goal paced season but he should never be played as a top option. He had tons of hype from leaf fans due to dominating the AHL and winning the calder cup MVP. Gotta remember, until the Raptors we hadn't won anything even slightly significant since like 1993.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Kerfot is a good player inherently, I think people are taking it as he sucks for two reasons. One like you mentioned he's in every trade. And two is that he has a 3.5 mil cap hit.

The leafs don't have to move him and he's a good piece. But if we can find a better piece why not? If we are trading him his value isn't that high however. Like I said its not cause he's not good its cause teams trading the better player are not going to care. To them he and rightfully so is to make cap work. If kerfoot was making a million dollars. We wouldn't be having this convo.
I would agree, good but overpaid

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Eh he was a mid 6. AJ did have a 20 goal season and 15 goal paced season but he should never be played as a top option. He had tons of hype from leaf fans due to dominating the AHL and winning the calder cup MVP. Gotta remember, until the Raptors we hadn't won anything even slightly significant since like 1993.
Probably was a mid six. But my point is that the vast majority called him top 6. Then to claim Zacha as a bottom six forward when he is out scoring Johnsson by a huge margin is quite laughable.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Probably was a mid six. But my point is that the vast majority called him top 6. Then to claim Zacha as a bottom six forward when he is out scoring Johnsson by a huge margin is quite laughable.
In general people on this website seem to overvalue their own players while diminishing the value of players on other teams. In all fairness though, I would not want to move Sandin in a trade where the main return is Zacha. Just my opinion mostly due to the Leafs having great C depth.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
To be fair the only reason he didn't sign with us is because we had center depth already with Nico, Zacha, Henrique and Zajac at the time. He was pretty open about it.

He wanted to sign with a team where he had more of an opportunity.
So now that they've added Hughes to that list what now makes NJ a more viable option?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

This is true of almost every player and deal is a cap league. If Lucic or Eriksson were making $1million they wouldn't be in the conversations they're in either. You can't separate the contract from the player when discussing value. Kerfoot for this season and 2 more @$3.5 doesn't offer a lot of value especially to a team like NJ. Kerfoot doesn't suck, but he isn't good value either. It also has a lot to do with term. Kerfoot at $3.5 for this season is easy for a team to absorb especially as a cap balancing move, but now having that contract on the books for the next 2 seasons as well greatly changes a teams willingness to bring him in. I also don't know what an inherently good player is?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So now that they've added Hughes to that list what now makes NJ a more viable option?
Zajac is 35, Henrique was traded, Zacha is in this trade proposal and Kerfoot doesn’t have a choice now?

I don’t see why Toronto trades for Zacha though, they would probably be looking for a two center with better defense for their 3rd line, not a center with worse 5v5 defense than Kerfoot.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Zajac is 35, Henrique was traded, Zacha is in this trade proposal and Kerfoot doesn’t have a choice now?

I don’t see why Toronto trades for Zacha though, they would probably be looking for a two center with better defense for their 3rd line, not a center with worse 5v5 defense than Kerfoot.
With this said, NJ would love Kerfoot and his $3.5 over the next 2- 1/2 seasons. Despite the fact he refused to sign with them.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
With this said, NJ would love Kerfoot and his $3.5 over the next 2- 1/2 seasons. Despite the fact he refused to sign with them.
The trade doesn’t make sense for Toronto or New Jersey. As someone else pointed out, it’s doesn’t make sense for a young team to trade a young roster player for a random spare center who will be 27 in August. Zacha isn’t a useful player for a team trying to be a contender right now that could use a real 3rd line center.

I also don’t think it’s particularly important that Kerfoot signed somewhere else in 2017, especially since that team traded his ass. He wanted more opportunity at center to make the NHL at the time and it worked.

Last edited:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
The trade doesn’t make sense for Toronto or New Jersey. As someone else pointed out, it’s doesn’t make sense for a young team to trade a young roster player for a random spare center who will be 27 in August. Zacha isn’t a useful player for a team trying to be a contender right now that could use a real 3rd line center.

I also don’t think it’s particularly important that Kerfoot signed somewhere else in 2017, especially since that team traded his ass.
I would not want to bring a player back that scorned my team once. Especially not a player like Kerfoot. I can't imagine Devils ownership would be excited to pay $7+ million for a player that refused to sign out of college causing them to lose an asset for nothing. If it was Crosby or McDavid you make an exception, for Kerfoot you stick to your guns.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Out-of-town fans probably aren’t aware that a good chunk of Zacha’s upticked production this year has come on the wing.

He obviously has a large body of work at center, and the confidence he’s gained would probably translate if he switched back to center, but I wouldn’t acquire him to exclusively be a center. You’re going to want to have some sort of roster flexibility to maximize his role.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would not want to bring a player back that scorned my team once. Especially not a player like Kerfoot. I can't imagine Devils ownership would be excited to pay $7+ million for a player that refused to sign out of college causing them to lose an asset for nothing. If it was Crosby or McDavid you make an exception, for Kerfoot you stick to your guns.
It wouldn’t effect my judgement, it’s a bummer to lose NCAA but they get to make that choice. He likely sees himself as something more then just an “asset”.

I don’t really care about or want Kerfoot, I guess this is coming up because with the cap crunch there are are a limited number of teams that will take that contract off of Toronto’s hands. I wouldn’t give up good assets for Kerfoot, they would actually have to make it worth our while. He’s not that much of a goal scorer and that’s mostly what the Devils would be interested in, particularly if the player is 5’10” 175 lbs.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014

Zacha is going to the top line with Zacha - Matthews - Marner. The key piece of the trade was actually Sandin from Toronto, Kerfoot is for cap reason for the trade to work but apparently RHD is more of a need for NJ.

So maybe

Liljegren, Kerfoot, Engvall
for
Zacha, Maltsev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad