Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
good pick up. he got brandon prust money. Prust as good for 3 years then started to break down..martin bigger and more durable

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
They're all 4th liners, which is what I meant. I would take Martin over any of those players. Weise is 2nd on that list, but Martin's still the better player.
Weise has 56 points the past 2 years. Martin has 58 points over the last 4 years.

Hmm.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
To be fair Colton orr was probably suffering multiple undisclosed concussion ever year from the time he was 16.

And why do people talk as if Orr's contract was some kind of anchor when it never affected anything.

And you don't think Martin, who's led the league in hits for the last while, doesn't have to bunch of nagging "ailments"?

Orr's contract, in the grand scheme of things, didn't do much, because we didn't become succesful in that time. It's certainly not Toronto's intent to be garbage for the next 4 years.

Plus, we have to wonder how the security of a long term deal, combined with whatever ailments he does have, will affect his play.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
With the way people are complaining in here you'd think Martin was 35 years old...the guy is 27, how is this a bad deal? Everyone saying "4th liners don't deserve term", this is how you build a team. You actually need 4 solid lines to compete...Martin is a great add.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
If someone is prone to ailments, that affects their value. However, if someone is durable, that also affects their value. In the case of Martin, his durability is something that TML considered and rightfully so.

denis

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hated to see MM go. As long as Leaf fans understand what he is and what he isn't, he'll become a fan favorite.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hated to see MM go. As long as Leaf fans understand what he is and what he isn't, he'll become a fan favorite.

Tie Domi....Uncle Leo....Colton Orr...all guys that have been fan favorites. I think Martin will quickly win over fans....

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Honestly, the guy can skate and forecheck. Good defensive numbers, he doesn't need to score to be effective, but will take 10 goals from a 4th liner any day.

He'll probably be used a little higher in the line up this year than I would like, but that's what happens in a rebuild. In a year or two will be slotted properly. Babcock loves rolling 4 line that can play.

This isn't Orr and McLearen

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
With the way people are complaining in here you'd think Martin was 35 years old...the guy is 27, how is this a bad deal? Everyone saying "4th liners don't deserve term", this is how you build a team. You actually need 4 solid lines to compete...Martin is a great add.

His type won't win you a championship but it's hard to win championships without players willing to do the work he does. I believe he'll be a good addition.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Weise has 56 points the past 2 years. Martin has 58 points over the last 4 years.

Hmm.

Weise played on 3 lines significantly the last 2 seasons:

Weise - Desharnais - Paccioretty
Weise - Desharnais - Fleischmann
Weise - Plekanec - Paccioretty

Hmm. If we're going to go by point total, of course he's going to have more:laugh:
Pretty sad tbh though.

I'm arguing that in Torono, Weise wouldn't play above the 4th line, due to the kids playing + he's not a good possession player). So why would we pay him at all? Thus why I would choose Martin (Better defensively, better possession-wise slightly and hits/fights for our soft team).

If you're saying Weise isn't a Martin type of player, that's fine. But if he isn't, then we would never sign him because he isn't a strong possession player nor great defensively.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Komarov and Martin in the lineup.... it would be frightening to think if we had Polak as well still. The dasher boards may have to be changed between periods in Toronto.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Detroit fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but Babcock typically doesn't dress enforcers, and I don't think he's crazy about his players getting in fights. Polak for example only got in one fight under Babcock, and he only fought because he boarded a Duck and Manson practically forced him to fight (seems to be the hockey code).

I wonder if Babcock will pull the reins back on Matt Martin and his fighting, and maybe get him to focus more on just playing hockey. Just having him in the lineup, I'm sure, will get opposing players to back off the youth a bit.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
2.5mil is above market value for a 4th liner. 4 years is also too much term IMO.

He could possibly be our lowest paid 4th liner next year.

Martin - Laich - Michalek

Was a little skeptical, but that's the price in today's NHL for a player like Martin. Ultimately, the deal will not handcuff us in its duration and is easy enough to move.

I swear some of the people on this board haven't seen much of him and think he's Orr 2.0. He is a far superior player. He is .5 mil overpaid, that's not much considering he is UFA.

I am glad they targeted a guy and got him. He's durable, can score the odd goal and makes teams aware he's on the ice. He is a great fit with this team with what we are doing and how Babcock likes to build his lineup.

He'll get a lot of fan support in short order. Very happy he's here.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

Thank you! Off the top of my head, we don't have anyone like him coming up anytime soon either. So fills that gap.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Martin is a better player than Orr ever was though.. The only comparable between the two is they played for the Leafs at some point, so I'm not sure why you're using him as an example.

It is called grasping at straws.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Weise played on 3 lines significantly the last 2 seasons:

Weise - Desharnais - Paccioretty
Weise - Desharnais - Fleischmann
Weise - Plekanec - Paccioretty

Hmm. If we're going to go by point total, of course he's going to have more:laugh:
Pretty sad tbh though.

I'm arguing that in Torono, Weise wouldn't play above the 4th line, due to the kids playing + he's not a good possession player). So why would we pay him at all? Thus why I would choose Martin (Better defensively, better possession-wise slightly and hits/fights for our soft team).

If you're saying Weise isn't a Martin type of player, that's fine. But if he isn't, then we would never sign him because he isn't a strong possession player nor great defensively.

He also got PP time...

one77

Dec 22, 2013
What a great signing for the Leafs. Exactly what they needed, and Martin is only 27 years old + very durable. Great great signing.

Him and Komarov will be very annoying to play against

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Martin is a grinder, not an enforcer. Huge difference. He gets in 7-13 fights a year (11 last season: http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/4999) but anyone comparing him to Colton Orr who got to the big leagues by being a fighter is really not making a fair comparison.

Martin will drop the gloves if he gets pestered, but he's not the "okay we're down 0-2, Martin go out there and pick a fight!" guy that Orr is. Rather, he lays out the big check, gets the crowd amped up, gets his team amped up, and tries to change the momentum of the game that way.

Trust me when I say anyone calling him a "face puncher" or what have you is dead wrong and doesn't understand the kind of game Martin plays.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
It was more about the gritty players being fan favorites....Uncle Leo is no fighter...:laugh:

Domi being Mr.Cheapshot is gritty now? Do you remember the time he wouldn't drop them with Rob Ray, Ray was ejected and Domi went after Mike Peca once that happened?

Domi was once heavyweight champ of the NHL...Until he tried to play hockey in Toronto and he got all messed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad