Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin (4 years, $2.5M AAV)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I actually like this signing for the Leafs. Martin makes the Leafs a better team.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
This is why I don't get why people call it a bad deal. Kessel eats up almost as much of that, on a longer term than this guy (if Martin becomes unproductive)... and he will never again play for the team.

Well I also hated the idea of retaining on Kessel. All these things add up and could potentially limit our flexibility in the future. That's why I would prefer only core players get deals > 2 years. Kadri, Rielly and Andersen are the only other Leafs to get more than two years from this management group.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Hate it. Two years and $.5M too much.

He's good defensively, great shot suppression, and of course he has intangibles :)rolleyes:), but he's a fourth line guy and that's way too much for a fourth line guy.

Matt Martin had 10 goals and 19 points last season. Not bad for a 4th line

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Not as bad as the Clarkson deal but that's too much term and money for a 4th liner. Like Martin's game a lot but you're paying too much for a guy that just hits people.

I guess the 10 goals didn't happen.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Martin played on a line with two players who were superior to him in every way when it comes to playing hockey. Will he have the same luxury in Toronto?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

The producer of the video should've flashed to a picture of drew millers (assuming it's him) team photo, with his white hair, for effect purposes lol.

3883.png

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Decent signing for the Leafs. As they improve over the next little while they'll need players like Martin.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Martin played on a line with two players who were superior to him in every way when it comes to playing hockey. Will he have the same luxury in Toronto?

Very possibly. Babs liked Komarov's game and rewarded him, and he had a great year. If Martin puts the work in, he'll get a chance with better line mates, Babs likes some sandpaper on a talented line sometimes also.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
One of the few players that I was hoping we would sign this free agency. I feel better watching these young, small, skilled players developing with a player like Martin on the bench and dressing room. Thanks to all the Islander fans for trying to clue-in some of our PC, truculent apposed buttercups. Martins is a great addition was is sorely needed.

Mad Brills*

This is basically the prust signing from 4 years ago

though martin is worse

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Not a bad signing. He's something we are missing, who cares if we payed a little too much.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
As an Isles fan I am furious that they didn't sign Martin to this very reasonable contract. He's a hitting machine, is a decent fighter, can skate and take a regular shift, PK in a pinch, and pitch in some offense. He's also in his prime and may develop into a better offensive and penalty killing player under a real NHL coaching staff. Great signing for the leafs

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Great team guy and will offer some protection when needed. A little above market in dollars and term but I'm sure there were other suitors.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
LOL, how does this turd get a 4 year contract and 2.5 million on top of it? never change Toronto never change!

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Excellent signing by the Leafs.
Matt Martin 6' 3'' 220 lbs with very good wheels
Martin is the #1 Hitter in the NHL over the past 4 years or so.
Matt Martin:
“In terms of being a protector, I’m not sure if that’s the right word. I want to go out and be effective. In talking
to the Leafs, I think I can play their game, not just fight. But I’m not someone who likes liberties being
taken with my teammates. I’m there to free up space to help them.”
“Mike factored into my decision. He’s been so successful throughout the years with the Red Wings. I’ve
watched players emerge under his style, such as Justin Abdelkader there and Leo Komarov here. It appealed to
me in that sense that you can bring your game to another level. It’s what we all want as players.
“He has that demeanor behind the bench that won’t help just me, but help all of the young players in our
organization to improve.”
Lou Lamoriello :
“Certainly, he has size and strength and we feel his skating is very good. I’ve had the experience of (his New Jersey)
teams play against Matt a good number of years. Our staff liked him, our coaching staff liked him and that was
the most important thing.”
Lamoriello shrugged off the price and term. He was probably looking for a stay-at-home defencemen as well, such
as Kris Russell or James Wisniewski, but this was a lean year for such prizes and the Leafs still have to be careful
with cap space.
“Everything that happens these days is too much money. I don’t see many contracts that weren’t too much money
(in Friday’s jaw-dropping opening hour of free agency $334 million was spent). But when you feel there’s a need and
there’s a short supply and you don’t mind the best player available for that, then you
have to make that decision.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/07/01/leafs-sign-matt-martin-to-ride-shotgun-for-youngsters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad