Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If Dubas does that he'll end up with a 21 player roster with ZERO cap space cushion in case of injuries (the non-LTIR type). Some people on here are dumb enough to say that if there's are injuries (and yes, there will be injuries) Dubas will just bring someone up from the minors... Sorry... he can't do that if they are short term injuries because doing that makes the Leafs non cap compliant because the Leafs have ZERO cap space

You are simply wrong.

If the Leafs' have 18 skaters and 2 goalies on their roster, no cap space, and lose a player or players due to injury they can (after having played one game with fewer than 20 players) use section 50.10(e) of the CBA which allows the emergency recall of a player or players to fill out their roster for the remainder of the time for which they are needed. The emergency recalled player's salaries do not count towards the cap. They have to have a salary of no more than 800K (including bonuses) to qualify. They can do this as many times as they need to.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
You are simply wrong.

If the Leafs' have 18 skaters and 2 goalies on their roster, no cap space, and lose a player or players due to injury they can (after having played one game with fewer than 20 players) use section 50.10(e) of the CBA which allows the emergency recall of a player or players to fill out their roster for the remainder of the time for which they are needed. The emergency recalled player's salaries do not count towards the cap. They have to have a salary of no more than 800K (including bonuses) to qualify. They can do this as many times as they need to.
Thank god they have that out! Now they can call up SEMYON Der-ARGUCHINTSEVY, an 18-year old that had 6 goals in the OHL last year, who has an ELC for under 800,000! If he doesn't have bonus clauses, they are home free...

Reactions: KINGS17

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You are simply wrong.

Interesting. Need a little luck in the game with less than 20 players though, especially if there were multiple injuries the game before

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You are simply wrong.

True, but ever time the team initiates an emergency recall they have to have played one game with a roster of 19 or fewer players. That could happen a number of times throughout the season. Certainly not ideal.... especially if the missing player is one of a teams 6 defensemen.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Thank god they have that out! Now they can call up SEMYON Der-ARGUCHINTSEVY, an 18-year old that had 6 goals in the OHL last year, who has an ELC for under 800,000! If he doesn't have bonus clauses, they are home free...

Umm...most players they would want to call up qualify: Shore, Petan, Agostino, Wilson, Aberg, Goat, Harpur, Schmaltz, Marincin, Holl, Gravel

Reactions: Kurtz

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
True, but ever time the team initiates an emergency recall they have to have played one game with a roster of 19 or fewer players. That could happen a number of times throughout the season. Certainly not ideal.... especially if the missing player is one of a teams 6 defensemen.

True - I wouldn't want to be in that position. It is also possible that game in which the play is injured counts as the game in which they would be short a full 20. I don't think that is the case, but the wording is not completely clear to me.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
True - I wouldn't want to be in that position. It is also possible that game in which the play is injured counts as the game in which they would be short a full 20. I don't think that is the case, but the wording is not completely clear to me.
can we agree its not sunshine and rainbows and no GM would choose to be in this position? I see posts like this was all part of the grand plan

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
Umm...most players they would want to call up qualify: Shore, Petan, Agostino, Wilson, Aberg, Goat, Harpur, Schmaltz, Marincin, Holl, Gravel

The only problem is, most if not all those players will be needed on the roster to keep them under the cap. If not, they all have to clear waivers, and then who do they replace them with? Remember last year when they tried to waiver two goalies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
can we agree its not sunshine and rainbows and no GM would choose to be in this position? I see posts like this was all part of the grand plan

You and I can. I can't speak for others. I have said from the get go that it is a complete mess, and the people at Leafs' headoffice who have to try to make this work are probably more stressed than they have ever been in their life.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The only problem is, most if not all those players will be needed on the roster to keep them under the cap. If not, they all have to clear waivers, and then who do they replace them with? Remember last year when they tried to waiver two goalies.

The reason they picked up so many league minimum vets is so they waiver most of them and not worry if they lost a couple. I named 11 guys. Maybe 3 are on the roster after Dermott and Hyman come back. The benefit to the player is they are guaranteed 700K even if in the minors.

ajp4to

Jul 31, 2015
The reason they picked up so many league minimum vets is so they waiver most of them and not worry if they lost a couple. I named 11 guys. Maybe 3 are on the roster after Dermott and Hyman come back. The benefit to the player is they are guaranteed 700K even if in the minors.
Well, its good that Dubas now has the second-best player, fourth-best player; and 6th best player in the league all locked up, oh wait, that's paid. You never know they might be worth it, even though they haven't as yet won squat! They will do all the scoring, B/C those other ten roster places can be filled with guys that have proven they can contribute nothing at all...

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I feel like not many people know this, but the leafs' assistant gm, Brandon Pridham help create the cba and salary cap. He was hired as a "cap contultant". They literally have the salary cap creator hired as a cap consultant.

And the majority of posters on this site talk like they're top shit as if they can see years down the leafs' timeline.

The leafs have their entire team signed for this season. Lets enjoy watching hockey as hockey fans for a year and worry about the cap next offseason. Oh wait, we dont have to, as we have the guy who literally created the cap working for us. Awesome! glg

Reactions: sd1976

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yes. it’s not ideal. Of course. But it’s manageable with a 21 player roster.

The leafs problem has been that they played the worst players too much and the best not enough.

Won’t be like that this year.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
It was a long, emotional process, but it feels amazing to have the best young core in hockey locked up.

This will probably be the best Leaf team many of us will have ever seen, and I couldn't be more excited!
This is not saying much for most HF posters.

The main question is : Will they win a round ?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. it’s not ideal. Of course. But it’s manageable with a 21 player roster.

The leafs problem has been that they played the worst players too much and the best not enough.

Won’t be like that this year.
I don't think the team as presently constructed can compete for a cup. Dubas clearly values skill and skating over size and checking all through the roster. It will be a science experiment to see who is right.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
You know if 100 people are saying that there's going to be a cap issue and 20 people are saying no there isn't... don't you think that the 100 people might be right and the 20 people wrong? Particularly when those 20 people are all Leaf fans and its they're only hope for the future that they are right and the 100 are wrong?
Give it up. When the majority says something is true... its usually true. You can't invest 49.7% of the team's salary cap space in 17% of the team and not expect there to be serious issues down the road.

Their*

Majority isn’t always right, pal. The core is locked up, that’s all I care about. I’m no cap genius but I’m pretty sure the leafs have a few of those on the payroll, so I’m not as concerned as you seem to be

Reactions: Luminiferous

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Their*

Majority isn’t always right, pal. The core is locked up, that’s all I care about. I’m no cap genius but I’m pretty sure the leafs have a few of those on the payroll, so I’m not as concerned as you seem to be

This.

And if there ARE any cap crunch issues in the next 5-6 years, there's not a single "expensive" young Leaf player who any other team wouldn't LOVE to trade picks and prospects for.

Capologists will figure this stuff out. In the meantime, our young core will go for a Cup and moves will come, when needed.

dfunk

Feb 1, 2012
This.

And if there ARE any cap crunch issues in the next 5-6 years, there's not a single "expensive" young Leaf player who any other team wouldn't LOVE to trade picks and prospects for.

Capologists will figure this stuff out. In the meantime, our young core will go for a Cup and moves will come, when needed.

Exactly. Which isn’t any time soon, so I’m gonna enjoy the next couple years then see what happens later

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Well, its good that Dubas now has the second-best player, fourth-best player; and 6th best player in the league all locked up, oh wait, that's paid. You never know they might be worth it, even though they haven't as yet won squat! They will do all the scoring, B/C those other ten roster places can be filled with guys that have proven they can contribute nothing at all...

You seem like a bitter person. I am not sure why. I care pretty much nothing at all about the ongoings of teams that I don't cheer for. The Leafs have some talent. That talent refused to sign for less than they did and that has left the Leafs in the position where they are now which carries risks and which is both not as good as some are saying and not as bad as others are saying. We will see how that plays out.

Reactions: Luminiferous
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad