Confirmed with Link: [TOR/LVK] Vegas select F Brenden Leipsic from TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Leipsic was always the best Marlie whenever I went to the games the last couple years. I'll be happy for him and Vegas if he turns out to a 2-way 40-point guy. I'm not sure he had any sort of future with the Leafs and by some miracle he actually looks like one of the more intriguing forwards on Vegas so far. Those leaked picks are pretty mediocre.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Most teams are giving up better players. Some are avoiding it by overpaying just to keep average players. I'm glad with how it turned out. It's an expansion draft. Everyone pays one way or another.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I echo statements that I liked Leipsic too but am not devestated he is gone. I really wish him well and hope he gets an opportunity in Vegas. We are going to trade/lose players over the years that turn out great.....it's the nature of the beast. But we can't hoard because we are scared to make a bad move.

Re Martin: he serves his role. Even if his only use is to give confidence to our rookies he'd be worth his weight in gold

Re Posters who know more than leaf management: crazy statement. You could sell me that someone knows more about Swedish hockey prospects than our Cap guy Pridham....but who cares. I honestly believe the combined brains that make up our management team is more apt to make better decisions than anyone here.

Re: people calling GM GM out on his trades is also crazy until we hear all the details. The Anaheim situation from what I understand seems to illustrate perfectly. Many think he should have taken Manson/Vats. I agree but I'd choose to believe they weren't actually available to Vegas ever. IE if Vegas didn't agree to take Shea then they find a way to protect them or trade for better return. So sure he could have sat back and watched a trade frenzy between all other team to avoid giving him anyone decent and get stuck with whatever is exposed or take the best he could get.

Re: this thread. Wish it was more constructive conversations than the few people who have seemed to railroad it and are attacking others.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The same management that "lost" us Leipsic by protecting Martin also "saved" us a Rielly, Kadri, or Gardiner by moving out terrible contracts with NMC we would have been forced to protect.

Keep that in mind.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The same management that "lost" us Leipsic by protecting Martin also "saved" us a Rielly, Kadri, or Gardiner by moving out terrible contracts with NMC we would have been forced to protect.

Keep that in mind.

I think there is another expansion coming, so it will be interesting to see who is willing to give out those NMC's.

Perhaps will have another category, NMC's that are null and void for expansion drafts.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Keep that in mind.

Cody Franson trade turned into:
Travis Dermott
Jeremy Bracco
Martins Dzierkals
+
Player spot lost to expansion (Leipsic).

We didn't lose anything... ;)

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Keep that in mind.

Like I've said. I praise this management staff to no end, and I think their only real mistake so far has been protecting Martin in the draft.

Don't even think the signing was a mistake because he could've been a solid pick-up if he played anything like he did in NYI.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Like I've said. I praise this management staff to no end, and I think their only real mistake so far has been protecting Martin in the draft.

Don't even think the signing was a mistake because he could've been a solid pick-up if he played anything like he did in NYI.

Who cares though Leipsic can't play martins role, won't take komaros role or hymans. If jvr is here he isn't taking that either. If you want him to switch sides whose spot does he take? No ones.he is waiver eligible this year so who really gives a **** he was exposed

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Protect Martin, lose Leipsic.
Protect Leipsic, lose Rychel.

Is it really that big of a difference all in all?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Who cares though Leipsic can't play martins role, won't take komaros role or hymans. If jvr is here he isn't taking that either. If you want him to switch sides whose spot does he take? No ones.he is waiver eligible this year so who really gives a **** he was exposed

This exactly. Leipsic had no role on the team, we would have waived him or traded him after training camp. Martin is on the team, so it makes sense to protect Martin. One of Leipsic/Rychel were making the team as a 13th forward with higher probability it being Rychel because of his net presence and size for the 4th line, now we know who it is. :)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Morgs has zero understanding of role players and team structure.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Morgs has zero understanding of role players and team structure.

I'm very aware of "team structure" but the only reason teams are structured like that is because nobody does it differently. Martin plays 10 5v5 minutes a game, doesn't PK, doesn't PP. Why not use a guy like Leipsic or Leivo in that spot?? Oh I forgot we need a team dad.

You're clueless.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I'm very aware of "team structure" but the only reason teams are structured like that is because nobody does it differently. Martin plays 10 5v5 minutes a game, doesn't PK, doesn't PP. Why not use a guy like Leipsic or Leivo in that spot?? Oh I forgot we need a team dad.

You're clueless.

I doubt Leipsic or Leivo can stop teams from physically targeting Marner, Nylander, Matthews, etc all game long. :shakehead

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I doubt Leipsic or Leivo can stop teams from physically targeting Marner, Nylander, Matthews, etc all game long. :shakehead

Oh my ... this isn't the 70's, and the guys that are targeting them aren't these 6'5" guys who are only there to fight and injure.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Oh my ... this isn't the 70's, and the guys that are targeting them aren't these 6'5" guys who are only there to fight and injure.

It's like talking to a brick wall.

C'mon man, give it up already, this has been beaten to death 100x over.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
Not a huge loss but I still would have preferred losing Rychel. Leipsic's speed is a huge plus at the NHL level.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not a big deal. At least we didn't overpay to keep average assets like the Islanders or Tampa. We got off easier than the vast majority of teams tonight.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Leipsic is nice but he was a bottom 6 forward ceiling wise.... and likely may never make the NHL.

just happy to be a leaf fan today

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Also may I add that if we exposed Martin and protected Leipsic, we would have lost Rychel, which would be a similar kind of loss. No matter what happened, one of those two was leaving as Martin provides zero value to Vegas.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Pretty sure some of the Sportsnet pictures of Leipsic are actually Connote Brown lol

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can

You're clueless.

Speaking of clueless :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad