Confirmed with Link: [TOR/LVK] Vegas select F Brenden Leipsic from TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
They could've taken Rychel AND Leipsic and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

I'm more curious to see if Lou can somehow bring in one of those mouth-watering defenseman that are available (Vatanen or Dumba, even Miller).

They could have taken Rychel,Leipsic,Leivo and Polak and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit. :laugh:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We've got winger depth and he figures to get a better opportunity for playing time with Vegas.

BEERnSOUP

Feb 2, 2015
I think Leipsic is more likely to be the better player between him and Rychel. With that said, Rychel's game is more likely to be in need by the Leafs than Leipsic's. Good pick by Vegas, and as a Leafs fan I'm happy with the result as well.

One less waiver requiring winger to worry about I suppose, and you had to lose someone... Leipsic might be able to do some damage for Vegas, if not starting the year then quite likely getting an opportunity after the trade deadline. Hope it works out for him.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
The question becomes are either of Rychel or Leipsic worth spending assets on to ensure Martin would have been selected by Vegas? I assume the organization didn't think so. Martin would not have been taken for the fact he provides low value on the ice, and even lower value in a trade. Literally a useless pick for an expansion team.

I wouldn't even have forced them to take him, just expose him to see if they'd be stupid enough to do it.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Honestly, compared to what other teams lost (or should have lost had McPhee not been such a cream-puff) and had to expose, the Leafs made out like bandits.

Let's see the next expansion draft, in the next 3-5 years, see what we have to expose, and remember the 2017 expansion draft when we had to risk losing *gasp* Leipsic, Rychel, Fehr, Marincin, Marchenko. Not sure that any of those players are even in the NHL in 3 years.

I wish Leipsic well, and I hope that Rychel turns into the player I think he can be. Perfectly fine with what has transpired here.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Very amusing all these comments about Martin. Do you guys actually think you know more than Shanny, Lou, Babs, Hunter, Fletcher et al?

I don't really believe I know renaissance warfare better than Napoleon either, but he clearly made some mistakes at Waterloo.

With that said, while I think this season has shown that Martin was more of a passenger on his earlier lines, I don't particularly care about this latest criticism. We were losing Leipsic or Rychel either way, and who doesn't really matter. It's a non-issue, and arguing it back and forth seem like a waste of time.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Martin would have been picked up by Vegas. Their management loves face punchers, and Martin's got a face you can put on a billboard. They won't be marketing wins for the next few years, so they'd be marketing personalities.

Cool maybe they will trade us a 1st for him. Everyone talks marketing and this and that but when you bring up asset value in trade... Ugh

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't really believe I know renaissance warfare better than Napoleon either, but he clearly made some mistakes at Waterloo.

With that said, while I think this season has shown that Martin was more of a passenger on his earlier lines, I don't particularly care about this latest criticism. We were losing Leipsic or Rychel either way, and who doesn't really matter. It's a non-issue, and arguing it back and forth seem like a waste of time.

Like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic perhaps?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Absoultely fine, we're probably Top 10 in terms in of minimal expansion impact on franchise versus the rest of the league. If he turns out better than expected oh well, what can you do, prospects are a bit of a crapshoot like that. Good chance we never miss him anyway with our depth.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't get why people keep bringing up Martin. It was always Leipsic or Rychel and I think that we kept the player we wanted to keep without having to give up a pick

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC

Great response !!!!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Pretty awesome if all at list out of this process is Leipsec. He's the most replaceable guy we have in the system.

DING DING
Key point. Even if Leipsec goes on to play top 6 minutes for Vegas he is extremely replaceable for this Leafs team. As an org Toronto couldn't have asked for more.
If a top 6 goes down we move up Sosh or Kap. Leipsic was a long shot to get ice time for the team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We lost a playet who was going to have to clear waivers this year and was not going to make the team. Martin would have been selected ovet him and we need Martin fir the coming season. We lost a player we were going to lose anyways.

Feb 24, 2004
Very amusing all these comments about Martin. Do you guys actually think you know more than Shanny, Lou, Babs, Hunter, Fletcher et al?

I've been here a long time.

Do you honestly think similar versions of your question aren't said every time someone criticizes a move?

Newsflash: GMs aren't infallible and appealing to authority in non-technical fields isn't always the best idea.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I completely understand and agree why Martin was retained but I would say at this point 99% of this board is more clued in than Fletcher.

I won't mention who falls into the 1% :laugh:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Leipsic might stick in the NHL, or he might be the next Seth Griffith. He will definately get more of an opportunity in Vegas then here though.. we probably would have had to give him the leivo treatment next year or lose him to waivers anyways. Good luck Brendan!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Martin is completely as advertised, and giving the Leafs exactly what they wanted and paid for when they signed him.

I don't understand why people expect management to think any less of him.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

savage.

I am not sure what's the big deal is about losing a player like Leipsec. He was never going to get a chance with this current Leafs. We still have Jhonsson, Grundstorm and few other prospects coming up that has more upside than Leipsec

I hope the kid gets to play in Vegas.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Why are people worried about Leipsic ,,, if the forwards stay status quo and you've got Kapanen on the 4th line you still have Sosh, Leivo, Rychel and Fehr without lineup spots...

I think it just always stings to lose a guy that could be a good player. If Leipsic turns into a Brendan Gallagher I'll regret losing him, even if we're overstocked with good wingers - we're all greedy by nature haha

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Win-win would would been Marincin. It might not have been the right call and while I do like Leipsic his chances of being an impact player for this organization were not great. If he is going to succeed LV will give him the best chance to get regular NHL duty.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Win-win would would been Marincin. It might not have been the right call and while I do like Leipsic his chances of being an impact player for this organization were not great. If he is going to succeed LV will give him the best chance to get regular NHL duty.

Doesn't really matter in my opinion. Marcinin has played his last game with the Leafs.
He will be outplayed in preseason and training camp

After his showing at the playoffs, especially last game, he will not be in Leafs uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad