Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
The Leafs got 105 points last year.
WSH got 105 points last year.
WSH won the cup last year.
The Leafs added Tavares to their roster.
The players the Leafs lost from their roster are relatively insignificant, all the top players are back, many of them are young and likely to improve.

Any more questions?

And the Oilers had 103 points the season before!
And the Leafs played in easiest division, plays Buffalo and Senators more!

They exited in the 1st round against a team who busted in the next round and that team busted in the round after that, The defense is the same and hoping on rookies /farmers to break out. Need i go on!

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

They exited in the 1st round against a team who busted in the next round and that team busted in the round after that, The defense is the same and hoping on rookies /farmers to break out. Need i go on!

The Oilers just finished with 73 points and traded a Hart trophy winner for a #4 defenseman. You have no ground to stand on :laugh:

The Oilers are a punchline bud. I've watched that curly haired kid grow up on the podium at the draft more than some family members.

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
The Oilers just finished with 73 points and traded a Hart trophy winner for a #4 defenseman. You have no ground to stand on :laugh:

Must trigger something with so many from the army of ants who coming with insults! Doesnt like what other people thinks, lets insult them to end of time!

You have a ignore function and your own board where you can planning the parade in harmony!:huh:.

What if Leafs some day reach a cup, the HF board can then turn off them self or give it to Toronto! It would be a meltdown enviroment to be in with facist rules !

Reactions: Dio666

KPower

Jan 17, 2012

Love your-this team beat that team analogy.

Really shows you have no clue about hockey.

Reactions: ThewThew

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Love your-this team beat that team analogy.

Really shows you have no clue about hockey.

Naah! only a parable so even you can understand what it means to be close to contending! LoL its the Hfboards, no one have time to read and understand your exhaustive analyzes!

Saw that you uses we in a sentence above, probably it means that you and your companions hunt in flocks , my concerns about the fans just got confirmed!

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
Naah! only a parable so even you can understand what it means to be close to contending! LoL its the Hfboards, no one have time to read and understand your exhaustive analyzes!

Saw that you uses we in a sentence above, probably it means that you and your companions hunt in flocks , my concerns about the fans just got confirmed!
I'm still waiting for you to show me where someone said Zaitsev is a #2.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The players the Leafs lost from their roster are relatively insignificant, all the top players are back, many of them are young and likely to improve.

Any more questions?

James Van Riemsdyk scored 36 goals last year. Suggesting that he is relatively insignificant is just wrong. I realize that he isn’t anywhere near as effective as Tavares and he probably doesn’t contribute as much as his numbers say but losing him won’t just be some seamless transition.

Frederik Andersen led the NHL with 2211 shots against and he still posted a stellar .918 SV%, despite also posting a 2.81 GAA. A .918 SV% and 2.81 GAA generally tells you that goaltender’s performance isn’t sustainable. At 5-on-5, Toronto was top-5 in shot attempts against, unblocked shot attempts against, and shots on goal against.

Tavares and the rookies may be able to more than make up for the loss of JVR and Bozak, but in my opinion, their defensive performance and their goals against last season was not sustainable.

Reactions: Haatley

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Any more questions?
Only in Toronto can you lose a 35 goal scorer and a 50 point centre and call that relatively insignificant.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The defence was 3rd in the East in goals against, you make sound like it's as bad as the Oilers. For whatever reason we don't do well against the bottom feeders, you might be surprised how well we do against the top teams.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Only in Toronto can you lose a 35 goal scorer and a 50 point centre and call that relatively insignificant.

They aren't insignificant, but they are also more or less +/- 0 players. I know the stat doesn't mean a lot, but it does mean something. Losing those players and gaining a Tavares undoubtedly makes us better.

Once you're in the playoffs, it's a tough grind and a different one than the regular season. Say whatever you want about a big D line, once you're in, it's up for grabs and matchups determine a lot.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
James Van Riemsdyk scored 36 goals last year. Suggesting that he is relatively insignificant is just wrong. I realize that he isn’t anywhere near as effective as Tavares and he probably doesn’t contribute as much as his numbers say but losing him won’t just be some seamless transition.

Frederik Andersen led the NHL with 2211 shots against and he still posted a stellar .918 SV%, despite also posting a 2.81 GAA. A .918 SV% and 2.81 GAA generally tells you that goaltender’s performance isn’t sustainable. At 5-on-5, Toronto was top-5 in shot attempts against, unblocked shot attempts against, and shots on goal against.

Tavares and the rookies may be able to more than make up for the loss of JVR and Bozak, but in my opinion, their defensive performance and their goals against last season was not sustainable.

There's no "probably" about it. He was at best our 8th most important player last season and would have been lower than that this season. Don't kid yourself, Tavares is a MASSIVE upgrade there. And our defense should better with Dermott having some experience under his belt and Zaitsev was never quite right after coming back from his injury, there's another possibility for significant improvement. And just go down the roster and look at how young the team is, these kids will get better, don't kid yourself.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
They aren't insignificant, but they are also more or less +/- 0 players. I know the stat doesn't mean a lot, but it does mean something. Losing those players and gaining a Tavares undoubtedly makes us better.

Once you're in the playoffs, it's a tough grind and a different one than the regular season. Say whatever you want about a big D line, once you're in, it's up for grabs and matchups determine a lot.

Tavares was a -12 this season if that stat is all you want to look at.

There's no "probably" about it. He was at best our 8th most important player last season and would have been lower than that this season. Don't kid yourself, Tavares is a MASSIVE upgrade there. And our defense should better with Dermott having some experience under his belt and Zaitsev was never quite right after coming back from his injury, there's another possibility for significant improvement. And just go down the roster and look at how young the team is, these kids will get better, don't kid yourself.

What 7 players were more important than Bozak and JVR?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Sorry why would repeating his career save percentage be unsustainable?

Also. How does JT going from. The 4th best c in February to like 15th now go with your general theory?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Sure, whatever you like. Insignificant is a relative term but JVR/Bozak were perhaps our 8th/11th most important players last season and would have likely been lower than that this season. Out with those guys, in with Tavares ... hey if you don't think that's a substantial improvement good for you.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
What 7 players were more important than Bozak and JVR?
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Rielly
Gardiner
Andersen

JVR will be missed on the PP, and that's about as far as that goes.

If we didn't land JT, losing JVR would've sucked, his hands around the net are bar none probably the best in the league, we would've missed his goals -- but he isn't John Tavares, on both sides of the rink.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

I don't think you can do the arithmetic straight across with JvR + Bozak vs Tavares because of the structural changes adding a centre of JT's calibre allows. Suddenly you've got Kadri on the 3rd line, you no longer need to move Nylander to center ice and can keep him riffing with Matthews, the average quality of competition goes down across the board, and Marner doesn't have to be the driver of his line, though credit to him, he seemed capable. JvR's netfront ability will be sorely missed, more than most Leafs fans are comfortable admitting, but you've got all these peripheral improvements by adding JT that will I think pull this iteration of the Leafs ahead. Of course, given their age, you can probably expect natural progression out of Matthews, Nylander, and Marner as well, but how much that will be offset by a new scarcity of ice time is anyone's guess.

Something interesting about Andersen -- of all shot locations he faces, the area he most outperforms the league average is in high danger chances in close. Counterintuitively, his save percentage on less dangerous shots is pretty pedestrian. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it may suggest that he's more systems-independent than most goalies, which would make you think that his performance these past two years is pretty in line with what he is and what you can expect. But I'm not that confident in that take and of all the avenues for catastrophe next season, him underperforming would surprise me the least.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sorry why would repeating his career save percentage be unsustainable?

Also. How does JT going from. The 4th best c in February to like 15th now go with your general theory?

Because his career save percentage is something he obtained facing a lot less shots per season on average.

Tavares is polling the exact same against Schiefele as he was before he joined Toronto in late May. He probably fell off a cliff since February because his performance in the games from February until the end of the season was terrible while other centers like Kuznetsov and Schiefele had monster playoff performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad