Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Funny how Eichel has been shit on for so long and now he has fanboys lmao
not even sure why Eichel is being mentioned. so what if he had a good first playoffs he's clearly a tier below Matthews..... end of story on Eichel
There is no doubt Eichel has played on worse teams than Matthews who has been gifted with 100+ points rosters and surrounded by better talent for his entire career. Matthews is clearly not a tier above Eichel when the games matter, ie playoffs. If you take away Matthews career year, the gap was not that large between them infact, and this was with Matthews being in a far better position to succeed. Now that EIchel is playing on a team where the talent is similar to what Matthews has played with his entire career. The only thing stopping Eichel from surpassing Matthews is if he can stay healthy. This is the only negative in Eichel's career thus far, he has never played on a good team until he moved to Vegas and he has been fully healthy, but he has already achieved more than Matthews has in 1 playoff than Matthews in 7. Players play to win the cup, not to pad regular season stats. I am sure Eichel would not trade his stanley cup ring for Matthews regular season stats. We will see if Eichel can have a full healthy season, I have no doubt he will have a career year, if he does and you stack that on top of a cup which he will aways have, Matthews is going to have to win a Cup as well to be considered equals, Matthews may have already had his career year in the regular season. Can he up his game when the games matter most as Eichel did. 7 playoffs he has yet to do so. BTW ROR and Reinhart former core Sabres also went farther than Matthews has in the playoffs, maybe it was the team?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
And this means what to you? Matthews is 20% better than McDavid or should be paid 20% more?

Try reading the post I was responding to, it might make more sense then

PP goals don’t count, no matter how consistent the contribution is to the team.

Maybe he should check the even strength goals between the two….wait McDavid had one less goal at even than Matthews had in total Last year.

Matthews has the best agent in the world to get Matthews McDavid money.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
And their production is basically because they play 40 min a game TOGETHER and full powerplays .

I see hf still isint coping well that he's a leave for five more years.. Haha
Wouldn't it be nice to have players who are at the top of their game, but can also kill teams when they are up a man? So dominant that the coach can barely keep them off of a PP?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
There is no doubt Eichel has played on worse teams than Matthews who has been gifted with 100+ points rosters and surrounded by better talent for his entire career. Matthews is clearly not a tier above Eichel when the games matter, ie playoffs. If you take away Matthews career year, the gap was not that large between them infact, and this was with Matthews being in a far better position to succeed. Now that EIchel is playing on a team where the talent is similar to what Matthews has played with his entire career. The only thing stopping Eichel from surpassing Matthews is if he can stay healthy. This is the only negative in Eichel's career thus far, he has never played on a good team until he moved to Vegas and he has been fully healthy, but he has already achieved more than Matthews has in 1 playoff than Matthews in 7. Players play to win the cup, not to pad regular season stats. I am sure Eichel would not trade his stanley cup ring for Matthews regular season stats. We will see if Eichel can have a full healthy season, I have no doubt he will have a career year, if he does and you stack that on top of a cup which he will aways have, Matthews is going to have to win a Cup as well to be considered equals, Matthews may have already had his career year in the regular season. Can he up his game when the games matter most as Eichel did. 7 playoffs he has yet to do so. BTW ROR and Reinhart former core Sabres also went farther than Matthews has in the playoffs, maybe it was the team?
lmao guy has been a known locker room cancer his entire career hell once he joined VGK couple years ago they proceeded to shit the bed and miss the playoffs and it didnt take long for Eichel to start rolling his eyes and show the same bad attitude he has shown in Buffalo.

at the end of the day it was Eichel who failed to get Buffalo out of the basement and became a complete nightmare to own,

big him up all you want but he's still less of a player than Matthews and always has been.

I got a question for you.... Why are you talking about Eichel in a Matthews thread? if you love him so much why not go express it in an Eichel thread? he really has nothing to do with Matthews

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Just an fyi almost everyone’s production drops in the playoffs. Mcdavid drai and Mackinnon are the exceptions right now. As a general rule, production drops.
To a certain extent. But the elite guys still produce relatively close to their regular season averages.

Crosby:
Regular season - 38 g, 102 pts
Playoffs - 31 g, 92 pts

Ovechkin:
Regular - 50 g, 89 pts
Playoffs - 40 g, 79 pts

Kane:
Regular - 31 g, 85 pts
Playoffs - 28 g, 75 pts

Matthews:
Regular - 51 g, 92 pts
Playoffs - 36 g, 72 pts

In the first three cases, the points drop was around 10 points below their regular season per 82 career average. Matthews drops by a whopping 20 points lower than his regular season average. And that's not taking into account that the first three have suffered from the "production goes down when the player reaches 30+ years old" thing. Crosby, for instance, was averaging over 100 points in the playoffs prior to the last 4 or 5 playoff runs when he hit 30 years old.

Not to mention, in term of his area of strength (goal scoring) he drops from being a 51 goal scorer in the regular season to a 36 goal scorer. Ovechkin still maintains a 40+ average despite the fact the last couple of runs at age 34 and 35 hurt his average (only 3 goals in 11 games). Crosby, who is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, only sees a drop from 38 goals to 31.

That's the problem. Matthews, in comparison to other elites, sees arguably the biggest drop in production come playoff time.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
To a certain extent. But the elite guys still produce relatively close to their regular season averages.

Crosby:
Playoffs - 31 g, 92 pts

Ovechkin:
Regular - 50 g, 89 pts
Playoffs - 40 g, 79 pts

Kane:
Regular - 31 g, 85 pts
Playoffs - 28 g, 75 pts

Matthews:
Regular - 51 g, 92 pts
Playoffs - 36 g, 72 pts

In the first three cases, the points drop was around 10 points below their regular season per 82 career average. Matthews drops by a whopping 20 points lower than his regular season average. And that's not taking into account that the first three have suffered from the "production goes down when the player reaches 30+ years old" thing. Crosby, for instance, was averaging over 100 points in the playoffs prior to the last 4 or 5 playoff runs when he hit 30 years old.

Not to mention, in term of his area of strength (goal scoring) he drops from being a 51 goal scorer in the regular season to a 36 goal scorer. Ovechkin still maintains a 40+ average despite the fact the last couple of runs at age 34 and 35 hurt his average (only 3 goals in 11 games). Crosby, who is more of a playmaker than goal scorer, only sees a drop from 38 goals to 31.

That's the problem. Matthews, in comparison to other elites, sees arguably the biggest drop in production come playoff time.

This just shows me Matthews is on par with a Conn Smythe winner who is referred to as a great playoff performer... thank you for supporting Matthews.

Last edited:

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I got a question for you.... Why are you talking about Eichel in a Matthews thread? if you love him so much why not go express it in an Eichel thread? he really has nothing to do with Matthews
Dude changes teams like guys change their underwear.. daily.... Especially when said player can be compared to in some way to his ex fav team......

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Didn’t read his post did you.

I did.

Who cares how much it drops if he is still producing? He is producing as well as Kane, and Kane is considered a great playoff player. When it is put like that it is not so bad, so I appreciate him posting that.

One series dropped his PPG...

He has been at PPG for 5 years now.

Been playing in the playoffs since his rookie season as a 1C.

I am sure McDavid's PPG would have dropped a lot if he was playing as a rookie (didn't make it)... his 2nd year was not great either (57 point pace), remove those years for Matthews and he is PPG.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I did.

Who cares how much it drops if he is still producing? He is producing as well as Kane, and Kane is considered a great playoff player. When it is put like that it is not so bad, so I appreciate him posting that.

One series dropped his PPG...

He has been at PPG for 5 years now.

Been playing in the playoffs since his rookie season as a 1C.

I am sure McDavid's PPG would have dropped a lot if he was playing as a rookie (didn't make it)... his 2nd year was not great either (57 point pace), remove those years for Matthews and he is PPG.

If you remove the worst playoff performances, my player will be even better!

What a pathetic argument lol

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
If you remove the worst playoff performances, my player will be even better!

What a pathetic argument lol

A lot of players do poorly in their first couple of playoffs, McDavid is an example, rookie year, their team sucked and he couldn't drag them to the playoffs cause he got injured, second year, 57-point pace in the playoffs.

Matthews unfortunately plays on a much better team than the Oilers so he has played in the playoffs every year so he's had more development years where he played.

Just showing he has developed into a PPG playoff performer, I am sorry if that upsets you.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
A lot of players do poorly in their first couple of playoffs, McDavid is an example, rookie year, their team sucked and he couldn't drag them to the playoffs cause he got injured, second year, 57-point pace in the playoffs.

Matthews unfortunately plays on a much better team than the Oilers so he has played in the playoffs every year so he's had more development years where he played.

Just showing he has developed into a PPG playoff performer, I am sorry if that upsets you.

You’re showing nothing more than being the typical Leafs homer that has to remove the bad to make his precious leaf look better.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

Crosby:
Playoffs - 31 g, 92 pts

Ovechkin:
Regular - 50 g, 89 pts
Playoffs - 40 g, 79 pts

Kane:
Regular - 31 g, 85 pts
Playoffs - 28 g, 75 pts

Matthews:
Regular - 51 g, 92 pts
Playoffs - 36 g, 72 pts

No disagreement Matthews has been well below his regular season numbers for me. Just a misconception.

Similar to ‘when they put the whistles away in the playoffs’, when they actually call more penaltys.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'll stop the back and forth. You seem very upset, but I am glad we can agree that factually Matthews is a Kane-level playoff performer, and he has been PPG for the last 5 seasons.

I’m just calling it like it is.

Removing the worst parts of a players production to go “see he’s actually really good” is so disingenuous. But you don’t see it because it’s a Toronto Maple Leaf.

0.88 ppg in playoffs. That’s what Matthews PPG is. For a guy as hyped as he his, that’s shit. Like your shitty argument.

Go pat yourself on the back I guess. Good job.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m just calling it like it is.

Removing the worst parts of a players production to go “see he’s actually really good” is so disingenuous. But you don’t see it because it’s a Toronto Maple Leaf.

0.88 ppg in playoffs. That’s what Matthews PPG is. For a guy as hyped as he his, that’s shit. Like your shitty argument.

Go pat yourself on the back I guess. Good job.

What I'd be more concerned about is also how often their line is scoring vs. how often they get scored against.

For example, a player like Draisaitl is 50% GF at 5v5

It is why the Oilers don't do well in the playoffs... PPs go cold during the playoffs sometimes and that is the Oiler's whole game plan. You can't win when your 2nd best player is not helping you at 5v5.

Matthews is around 57% GF, the team is doing much better when he is on the ice, and he is not the issue with the Leafs losing.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Eichel did put up more points in the playoffs last year than Matthews had in his last 3 year's combined.

Sure, EIchel couldn't lead his team to the playoffs until he bitched & moaned his way to a contender. One that was already chock full of talent.

He basically won that Hart because of "voter fatigue". Something even a bunch of TSN media guys said was going on.

This is such a horrible excuse.

McDavid won the '21 Hart and the '17 Hart. Its not like he had won the last 4 Hart trophies and there was actual voter fatigue. Heck, other players had won the award more often than McDavid since he entered the league, leading up to 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad