Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I rest my case. Seems like you are the one that was intent on talking about EIchel in a Matthews thread. Since I am forced to reply again on this. BTW there are other players on the list. Nothing on them? We will disagree on Eichel. Most will take a player that led their team to a Stanley Cup over a one and out player in the playoffs. Matthews has clearly underperformed in the playoffs to the players in the list I posted, I don't blame you for not looking at it, there is no reply to facts.

As for the last part, if you want to pay Matthews on par with McDavid and more starting next season, then you are accepting a 100% player friendly contract that effects the team's internal cap structure as a positive. It is not the way the cap works for successful teams. It effects the support players a team can ice and it sets a precedence for other key players wanting more of the same pie. Matthews has not led there either with taking every last cent and shorter terms. He is not McDavid. He is overpaid in comparison to the players on the list I posted. The proof is in the Leafs have won 1 playoff rd in 7 years with Matthews leading the team with his mediocre playoff performances. Where the comparables I posted all raised their games in the playoffs while making less.
You have no case.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I rest my case. Seems like you are the one that was intent on talking about EIchel in a Matthews thread. Since I am forced to reply again on this. BTW there are other players on the list. Nothing on them? We will disagree on Eichel. Most will take a player that led their team to a Stanley Cup over a one and out player in the playoffs. Matthews has clearly underperformed in the playoffs to the players in the list I posted, I don't blame you for not looking at it, there is no reply to facts.

As for the last part, if you want to pay Matthews on par with McDavid and more starting next season, then you are accepting a 100% player friendly contract that effects the team's internal cap structure as a positive. It is not the way the cap works for successful teams. It effects the support players a team can ice and it sets a precedence for other key players wanting more of the same pie. Matthews has not led there either with taking every last cent and shorter terms. He is not McDavid. He is overpaid in comparison to the players on the list I posted. The proof is in the Leafs have won 1 playoff rd in 7 years with Matthews leading the team with his mediocre playoff performances. Where the comparables I posted all raised their games in the playoffs while making less.

What would you have done? Trade him? Do you think the Leafs get anything close to the value of a player Matthews is?

Matthews is not McDavid but he is close. Neither player had lead their team on a deep run. The trend you see lately is deep teams with less holes. Tampa figured it out a few years ago and started to really get aggressive with trading futures to fill holes at the bottom half of the roster.

I'm sure the Leafs are fine with Matthews for 4 more years. Regardless of any context you can nit pick (salary, performance in the playoffs, etc), I know I'd love to have him in my team. Salary cap is an issue yes but what do you do? Letting go a player like this because of the salary cap is not that smart. They are not easy to find.

Matthews is a top 5 player in the game and is your point about him being 5 vs 2? Because you think he is 5+, you try to force a $10 or $11M contract instead of $13.25M? That's just not going to work bud.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
No in real life as well Matthews is the better player and is a tier above Eichel.
hey it's fine if you like Eichel. I dunno how you would rather the guy with a career filled with attitude problems over the more elite player,

your entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is

also seems the vast majority disagree with you too by voting and that's also with the leafs-bias. Im sorry but Eichel really isnt that close as all to Matthews
No, that's no more than your subjective opinion based on a different perspective, which in Matthews career has never involved championship hockey other than watching it from the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Can’t believe this thread is still going with all the usual haters heads exploding lol. The hate is real.

One thing that is a fact for sure is that Matthews is under contract with the Leafs for at least the next 5 years. Sorry not sorry.
And they HATE it. They absolutely despise that we keep our star player after he apparently already had his bags packed to Arizona.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
In a few seasons it should be in line with what other top NHL players make as the cap increases. For the cap hit based on the current salary cap and for only 4 years it's definitely not an ideal contract but I do not blame the Leafs. At least they locked up their best player for most of his prime years. It was bad timing to try and get a longer term deal. I don't think what he actually produces has earned that kind of contract based on today's cap but the Leafs had little choice at this point.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
And they HATE it. They absolutely despise that we keep our star player after he apparently already had his bags packed to Arizona.
I think most people just think its funny Matthews will be the highest paid player in the league and took a 4 year deal instead of a more team friendly 8 year deal. Dudes chasing the money, it's pretty obvious at this point.

Nothing wrong with it, but it is kinda funny.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
I think most people just think its funny Matthews will be the highest paid player in the league and took a 4 year deal instead of a more team friendly 8 year deal. Dudes chasing the money, it's pretty obvious at this point.

Nothing wrong with it, but it is kinda funny.
He will be the highest paid player in the NHL for what, one season? He was also MVP, Lindsey and a rocket winner one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad