Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Simon Benoit signs extension with the Maple Leafs (3 years, $1.35M AAV)

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
he's not even #5 on the leafs right now...

Rielly
Brodie
McCabe
Liljegren
Lybushkin
Edmundsson

Giordano
Benoit
Timmins
The extension kicks in starting next year. Brodie, Gio, Edmundsson, Lybushkin might not be back. So they really only have 4 dmen signed after this season, and Timmins has still not made the team full-time yet.

Reactions: banks

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think given it was difficult to find a 1 way contract this year he was happy to take a bit of a discount for a little extra term.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I honestly think its hard to argue he's proven to be a 5/6 considering whenever we're healthy he's out of the lineup
He was sat after the deadline so the Leafs could evaluate an Edmundson Liljgren pair.
He's also objectively played much better than Brodie for most of the year. Brodie is playing on pedigree alone at this point - if Brodie was a similar AAV player he would easily have been sat instead of Benoit.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Its a good lesson of how much environment matters, wasn't this guy pegged as one if not the worst player in the league last year due to his usage and poor team?
I think that was more like a few vocal yokels and those that followed their lead without looking into it themselves. It's an unfortunate but far too common occurrence on this site.

Anywho, good deal for both parties.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It coincides with Amount that will be fully buriable when cap rises next year or two in case things don’t work out.
I see that being repeated in this thread.

Is the following inaccurate:

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020

I heard I think Chris Johnston on a pod earlier mentioning that number could go up as cap goes up. Not sure. Maybe the Mou gets renegotiated as the cap rises.

Reactions: Menzinger

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great signing. Figured he was likely gonna sign a two year show me deal around 1 million so to get the extra 1 year at an extra 350K per is pretty fair. Guy hits a ton, block shots and does everything you want from a third pairing D.

Said this before but if I am Tre lock up Liljegren (likely 2/3 year bridge) and tell Marner it’s 11.5 x 8 just like Nylander this offseason. Offer Robertson a two year bridge and decide if you will be moving on from him or if he is trade fodder. I suspect him and Timmins packaged up this offseason to either get another D or a forward. Cowan is likely a lock with having nothing to prove in junior and no option to go to AHL, IMO he is too similar to Robertson in stature. Difference is higher motor, skill set and IQ.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It coincides with Amount that will be fully buriable when cap rises next year or two in case things don’t work out.
No. It does not. The buriable amount in the current CBA is league minimum + $375K. The league minimum is set to remain at $775K for the last 2 years of the current CBA which means the buriable amount will remain at $1.15M ($775K+$375K). The buriable amount for the third year of Benoit's deal will not be known until a new CBA is in place.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Verbeek seems to be la la land..

I've been the first to criticize Verbeek on some moves, but I really don't think this is one of those times. All 32 teams had this one wrong, assuming Benoit can continue on his current trajectory.

The guy was available all summer and didn't land a contract ( at NHL minimum salary) until August 28th. He was then waived and could have been grabbed up by anyone at said minimum salary. Didn't start the season in the NHL, was called up in November.

Great on Benny for proving he belongs, and hopefully this isn't his last multi year deal in the league. But every team in the league, Toronto included, would be lying if they said they saw this one coming. Benoit proved everyone wrong, not just Verbeek.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I heard I think Chris Johnston on a pod earlier mentioning that number could go up as cap goes up. Not sure. Maybe the Mou gets renegotiated as the cap rises.
If you did hear him say that, it is very possible that he misspoke. As far as I can tell, the NHL minimum salary and The adder of $375,000 to get the buriable amount are hard numbers given in the 2013 CBA and the 2020 MOU. I cannot recall ever reading or hearing of those numbers being negotiable.

Technically, I guess, the NHLPA and the NHL could make a side agreement to increase (or decrease) the numbers but I'm not sure either side has a big enough issue with the numbers to want to go to that trouble.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Minimum salary

2022-23 – U.S. $750,000
2023-24 – U.S. $775,000
2024-25 – U.S. $775,000
2025-26 – U.S. $775,000

Buried amount is minimum + 375k.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad