Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CAR] Patrick Marleau, Top 10 Protected 2020 1st & 2020 7th to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marleau was brought into Toronto as a mentor and locker-room leader for the young players invested in their on and off ice development ..

Most good teams bring in quantity vets for this reason. At that time it was simply to resign the kids when their ELC were up and even with Marleau on the books and using the Horton LTIR tool everything would have been fine no cap issues at all.

BUT then Leafs signed JT to $11 mil and tossed a monkey wrench into that Plan A that they were not accounting for, and right or wrong its the turning point they used up $11 mil in cap space and also escalated the contracts of Mattews and Marner to new levels using the internal Leafs salary structure as well as JT on ice contribution to drive up player stats in the process.

Now it appears that came at the cost of 1st round pick to try and undo history and auto correct their salary cap to Plan B that they're currently on.
In a way it was really JT for Marleau and a top 10 protected 1st rounder.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Surely you're aware its actually Marleau's greed from two years ago that's the problem? I mean let's at least be consistent.
Yes, but now his role model and second dad is gone while he sits at home playing hardball.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Some of you are really really Ef......ed up !
Nothing in this world could please you ...
Your all HOF GMs ...
What the hell did you expect and what in the hell did you want to do with Marleau ?
If we didn’t trade him , then Dubas is the worst , we do and he’s the worst
Top 10 protected .. that’s great
Late first round oh well
Our team is built for now and next 5 years
We have quite a bit of young talent and some free wallets that may or may not come up large ...
Wow it’s amazing some of the comments here
It’s a surprise that some of you aren’t owners or presidents or GMs right now with your incredible insight into the backrooms of sports ...
Man o man nothing is good enough
I say GREAT job again Dubas and Shanny
Way to go ...
Now let’s sign Marner Kappy and AJ
Kudos to ownership and management
Again I’ll say this , sorry
Try following this organization loyally like some of us for 55 years
Try having and following Ballard and some of the idiots we have had to endure
Wow again
We have 6 of the youngest and best players in the world on our team and that’s still not good enough ...
Go follow the Habs or Sens or Oilers or the panthers , maybe that will satisfy you
Leave our beautiful Leaf crest and jersey at the door and don’t let it hit you on the way out !!!!!

Dubas could of convinced his family that Edmonton is a swell place and got him to agree to go there in exchange for
Connor McDavid with Edmonton retaining 11.5 million/season.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It just don't make sense here. Why not trade him after July 1st?
May be something to do with Mitch Marner contract :huh:

You can't buy him out after July 1st. SJ does not want him at full cap hit or even half. They can not afford.

Doubt if San Jose wants him unless he's getting paid league minimum. Don't think SJ wanted a 3 year contract either, along with the most other teams.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Good job by Dubas not giving up a lottery pick.

Now, if he can shed another 6.9 million off the cap and get some picks back the rebuild might be back on track.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well it's top 10 protected...if it's the 11th overall it's a lottery pick and they get it.

Yes. I suspect Carolina will be picking around 14 or 15, but if the Leafs do get lucky and move into the top 10 that’ll be fine.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Marleau was brought into Toronto as a mentor and locker-room leader for the young players invested in their on and off ice development ..

Most good teams bring in quantity vets for this reason. At that time it was simply to resign the kids when their ELC were up and even with Marleau on the books and using the Horton LTIR tool everything would have been fine no cap issues at all.

BUT then Leafs signed JT to $11 mil and tossed a monkey wrench into that Plan A that they were not accounting for, and right or wrong its the turning point they used up $11 mil in cap space and also escalated the contracts of Mattews and Marner to new levels using the internal Leafs salary structure as well as JT on ice contribution to drive up player stats in the process.

Now it appears that came at the cost of 1st round pick to try and undo history and auto correct their salary cap to Plan B that they're currently on.

Even you don't believe this narrative.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
a late 1st has like a 5% chance of turning into a player you even care is on the roster

A 20th - 30th overall pick has:

• a 45.8 to 75% chance of playing 100 NHL games
  • a 8.3 to 33.3 % chance of being a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender

Source (you can google it for yourself): "Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value" article that appeared on the TSN website.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
This team has the same problems it ever did. New boss same as the old boss and won't ever win like this. Welcome back to the Muskoka 5 and overpay cycle of failure as always was.
some of us have seen this movie too many times.............

upload_2019-6-22_19-11-29.jpeg

Reactions: thewave

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
A 20th - 30th overall pick has:

• a 45.8 to 75% chance of playing 100 NHL games
  • a 8.3 to 33.3 % chance of being a top 6 forward or a top 4 defender

Source (you can google it for yourself): "Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value" article that appeared on the TSN website.

5% was way too low, plenty of good players come out of that range, but 8.3 to 33.3 is a pretty huge range.

8.3 = who cares
33.3 = that's bad

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Not hindsight when I said this in posts 2 years ago is it?

Trade JVR for a young center/picks or D.
Go look for the posts and tell me.

The hindsight is that of course the (no) deal looks poor as we didnt go on deep run. If we had, would it still have been the wrong move? Im not in Cup or Bust camp.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So the Marleau signing was more of a trade than a FA signing.

We basically traded a 1st for 2 years of Marleau. That's better than most rental prices. The Bruins gave a 1st for 20 games of broken down Rick Nash.

By no means is this an excuse for Lamoriello's short sighted nonsense, but it's not a killer.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Do you really want to lose say Kaps on the 3% chance that the leafs hit on a player that may be a little better then him in the latter rounds.
I agree. But we over value Kap in my opinion. Hope the nice contract makes him trade bait for a GM who does too.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This trade is sad. Give up a 1st to remove 1 year of cap space?!

What was Dubas thinking? How can he not draft in the 1st round two years straight?

This is "draft shmaft" all over again.

Reactions: Stamkos4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad