Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Marleau, 2020 1st Rounder (Top 10 Prot.) & 2020 7th Rounder to CAR for 2020 6th Rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The poster you replied to was talking to someone who said Leafs fans said Marleau would net positive assets. Who’s rewriting history?

Both sides are in that case. There might have been a few unreasonable posters saying that he would return positive assets, but most Leafs fans knew they would take a hit.

This is the post that I should have been responding to:

So Leafs fans were right again. Nice job Dubas. HF eats crow again

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
So is Carolina going to buy out Marleau? If so what are they waiting for...?

In theory, they're going to fly him in, give him the tour, meet the dudes, etc. and try to sell him on staying for a year.

In reality, I'm not sure if they're not just paying lip service to doing all that ... if they're really in on Duchene like some of the rumors say it's not likely they have real interest in keeping Marleau around for $6 million.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
In theory, they're going to fly him in, give him the tour, meet the dudes, etc. and try to sell him on staying for a year.

In reality, I'm not sure if they're not just paying lip service to doing all that ... if they're really in on Duchene like some of the rumors say it's not likely they have real interest in keeping Marleau around for $6 million.

The $3M signing bonus is a given for Marleau this season. Buyout or play Carolina pays the signing bonus.
The $6.25M cap hit is a given because the contract is +35. Buyout or play, Marleau counts $6.25M against Carolina's cap next year.

Carolina either pays another $1.25M for Marleau to play this year, or $416K this year and next year to buy him out. So playing would be an additional $800K this year, probably less than the replacement player for Marleau would make.

No reason not to try if you think Marleau can help the team, whether they talk to Duchene or not. But I doubt it works, Marleau will ask for the buyout, Carolina will comply, and Marleau probably ends up in San Jose on a veteran minimum with incentives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad