Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA/CAR] Ilya Lyubushkin (75% retained), Kirill Slepets to TOR; 2025 3rd round pick to ANA; 2024 6th round pick to CAR

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Lol theres no team in the NHL that burns as much draft assets on fire than the leafs for no tangible playoff success. None.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Chris Tanev is *six years* younger than one of the Maple Leafs top six, I'm not sure calling him an old man makes a lot of sense in the context of joining the Maple Leafs.
Giordano is old, we know.

Lol theres no team in the NHL that burns as much draft assets on fire than the leafs for no tangible playoff success. None.
What do you think a 3rd and a 6th are worth ?

Reactions: OVO16 and sxvnert

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I wasn't suggesting you didn't.

I just thought it was odd that a 34-year old defenseman was being characterized as "an old man" particularly when he would have been acquired to replace a 40-year old defenseman.
They're both old, Gio is just grandpa old. And given the brand of hockey Tanev plays, he won't have too many quality seasons left, maybe 2 more after this one.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
And here are my f***in Sabres, Pegula not spending the billions of dollars he sucked outta the ground. Trash owner.

Anyways, fantastic addition. He’s the only Sabres player to score a PK OT winner, I believe. Also hits like a ton of bricks occasionally. Is a gummy bear. Lotta good stuff there.
Well, other than ... checking ... Dahlin last night.

Remember Adams' advice?

"We've got a plan, and we're sticking to it."

I mean, we have no idea what the plan is, but surely you trust Kevyn.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Boosh at 75% retention, as a depth player, in the lineup occasionally, and used tactically when he does play?

This is a good move. A move successful playoff teams make.

No idea if it pays off or not, but there's close to zero risk, so why not.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Could be worse. I actually didn’t mind him back in the day. Of course I haven’t really followed him since but he had chemistry with some of the members of the roster at the time and maybe able to rediscover it with some.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
I've been hoping for some low-key buying from Toronto this TDL. I didn't want them to break the bank on rentals. But you can't stand pat when the core's window is now.

I think the low return on Tanev makes this look a bit expensive by comparison. But I'm happy enough with the trade for Toronto. Essentially a 3rd rounder for a physical RHD. Good enough.

It helps that Lybushkin has fit in before. I have a glimmer of hope that they extend him this time.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They're both old, Gio is just grandpa old. And given the brand of hockey Tanev plays, he won't have too many quality seasons left, maybe 2 more after this one.
I'd say this is accurate. I'd just say he actually helps you. The guy you acquired? He doesn't. I say this as a guy who was frustrated watching him trade multiple picks for Forbort, Gustafsson, Fantenberg, Prout, Stone ect every deadline. He never got the player we needed and always hurt our draft for depth that was no better than what we already had.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Boosh at 75% retention, as a depth player, in the lineup occasionally, and used tactically when he does play?

This is a good move. A move successful playoff teams make.

No idea if it pays off or not, but there's close to zero risk, so why not.
Stop being reasonable.

This a bashing thread for all things Leaf’s.

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
It is an OK add for Toronto and a good return for Anaheim. But what is Carolina doing? Are they gonna use a 6th round pick to strenghten? With lesser cap space. Shit GM and always have been.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Yeah, I have no issue with trading for Tanev for a playoff run, in fact, I think he's a great player, but I would be wary of signing him to an extension.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It is an OK add for Toronto and a good return for Anaheim. But what is Carolina doing? Are they gonna use a 6th round pick to strenghten? With lesser cap space. Shit GM and always have been.
Carolina still has over $5M in cap space, and will have $5.87M in cap space at the deadline if no further moves are made.

What move will be prevented by having an additional $687.5K in cap space? If they are that close, they can move a player back to the other team, or get retention from the trading team or a third team, or waive a roster player.

You are getting upset over 0.82% of the salary cap being retained for 22 games to get a draft pick.

Reactions: Petrus

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say this is accurate. I'd just say he actually helps you. The guy you acquired? He doesn't. I say this as a guy who was frustrated watching him trade multiple picks for Forbort, Gustafsson, Fantenberg, Prout, Stone ect every deadline. He never got the player we needed and always hurt our draft for depth that was no better than what we already had.

I get that you're frustrated, and it makes sense that you are, but this trade unquestionably helps the Maple Leafs.

They have no right handed D playing right now and that's a serious issue. Despite Benoit and McCabe adding a little more backbone, they are still a little soft on D as well and he helps in both of those regards without question.

The Leafs defense is definitely better with Lyubushkin in it than it was without. Giordano crashing into the boards last night was ugly, and I hope he's not hurt, but he needs to get out of the Leafs lineup either way. Lyubushkin is considerably better and offers more than a 40-year old Mark Giordano.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I get that you're frustrated, and it makes sense that you are, but this trade unquestionably helps the Maple Leafs.

They have no right handed D playing right now and that's a serious issue. Despite Benoit and McCabe adding a little more backbone, they are still a little soft on D as well and he helps in both of those regards without question.

The Leafs defense is definitely better with Lyubushkin in it than it was without. Giordano crashing into the boards last night was ugly, and I hope he's not hurt, but he needs to get out of the Leafs lineup either way. Lyubushkin is considerably better and offers more than a 40-year old Mark Giordano.
Solid post, but I disagree with the bolded. I just see Lyubushkin differently than you. I see him as a #7 defenseman and for me handedness doesn't matter if you aren't a top 4 guy.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I liked boosh the first time around in Toronto, and I think I’m going to like him even more the second time around

Reactions: Lilou

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I'm confused. Did the Leafs give up a 3rd round pick or did they get a 3rd round pick for taking on Lybushkin?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Next up:

3 way trade with Stamkos in Toronto to finish his career as a 3rd liner.

I can see it. Sorry if my Bolts buds disagree, but it is the only place he will go.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I'm confused. Did the Leafs give up a 3rd round pick or did they get a 3rd round pick for taking on Lybushkin?
They traded the third rounder for Lybushkin@ 50%. They also traded a 6th round pick for a further 50%. Anaheim is not going to give players away.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
CAR will do a 2nd trade with TOR.

This time with more significant pieces...elite ones...maybe...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad