Prospect Info: Topi Niemela what do you guys think?

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
I thought he was known for his defence when he was drafted. Somebody said that his defence was better when he was drafted than his offence.
Now his offence is taking off.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I thought he was known for his defence when he was drafted. Somebody said that his defence was better when he was drafted than his offence.
Now his offence is taking off.
I think he was always known for being a 2 way, transitional D man. If I had to guess, I would say it comes down to him being a boy in a men's pro league his draft year and with increased usage in the last 2 years since being drafted, he has gained confidence and the offense is starting to shine. The skating ability, vision and shot were already there.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Not saying it's happening but he's the type of prospect who comes to his first NHL camp and forces the team to keep him on the NHL roster. Remember that he plays the right side.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
You never know until we see him against NHLers but I am excited that he can be a real contributor

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Niemela has developed into a two-way defensive prospect. Several posters asked about the scouting reports for Niemela at the time of the draft. Here is what the Leafs Director of Scouting said at that time:
Director of Amateur Scouting John Lilley on Topi Niemela

Another guy at Karpat that we took. He is a 5’11.5 defenseman. He is a really good defender. He is really quick to close gaps and take away time and space. Again, last year, as a 17-year-old, he played in the Finnish elite league and was excellent at defending. He is a first-pass guy — not necessarily going to go on your power play, but really good at defending. Good instincts. Again, not the biggest guy, so he’s not overly physical at this time — just because he is playing against men as a young kid — but he’s very smart defensively. For us, he has some of the best defensive instincts in the entire draft.

There is more detail at:
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020...64th-overall-selection-in-the-2020-nhl-draft/

Reactions: Magic Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad