Prospect Info: Topi Niemela what do you guys think?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Any guesses on how far away he is from being a training camp invite?

Love what I’m reading here and that he is a true RHD…..

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
He reminds me a bit of a young Tomas Kaberle with his vision and passing. Like the young Kaberle, he’s not huge. I don’t think he has as good a poke check but a better shot. As with all prospects, we’ll see if his promise materializes into NHL reality.

I wonder what his real size is nowadays. 5’11”, 165 was a number floating around in his draft year and hasn’t been updated to the best of my knowledge. Covid-19 has meant that some of the times when a more recent set of measurements might have been obtained, simply haven’t occurred or publicized.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He reminds me a bit of a young Tomas Kaberle with his vision and passing. Like the young Kaberle, he’s not huge. I don’t think he has as good a poke check but a better shot. As with all prospects, we’ll see if his promise materializes into NHL reality.

I wonder what his real size is nowadays. 5’11”, 165 was a number floating around in his draft year and hasn’t been updated to the best of my knowledge. Covid-19 has meant that some of the times when a more recent set of measurements might have been obtained, simply haven’t occurred or publicized.

I imagine when peaks, he will be 6'0"/6'1" and in the 190's somewhere.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Definitely don’t see Kaberle. More like a Spurgeon, great stick, good gap control defensively, high IQ both sides of the ice.

Is he our top prospect?

Can he play better than Nick Ritchie?

Come on Dube. Let's see this dude.

Probably up there with Amirov and Robertson

Reactions: BigBlu

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Ha, as one of the first freelillians, which still sounds fine to me, I endorse this message. While we’re at it, freekokko.
How bout the Topi and Kokko Show?

Hey you're looking at the OG #FreeKadrian here.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
A lot of people underrating Amirov, he has superstar potential.

Reactions: kb

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Never heard of Amirov described in such lofty terms before...What does he possess skill wise that would prompt you to say that.
He's a fantastic technical skater, has good vision and can snipe too. Obviously have to wait and see how he adjusts when he's eventually brought over to NA, but imo he has the highest ceiling of all our prospects, I have him at number 1 now that Sandin has graduated.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Never heard of Amirov described in such lofty terms before...What does he possess skill wise that would prompt you to say that.

Just from my viewings, he does everything good, good two-way player, good skater, great shot, underrated hands and vision.

I am not saying he will be a superstar, just that he has that as a ceiling. I think realistically he can be a responsible 60pt winger.

Reactions: LeafChief

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
Lately, he has been below average defensively (atleast the two games against HIFK last weekend), but he has made up for it by being an offensive dynamo - his stretch passes are unbelieveable and he can control the power play from the blueline like few other in Liiga at the moment.

So far this season, I've seen him go from playing tough to being very soft in his own end, and from getting under the pressure with just skating the puck up the ice, to blundering a pass and giving the opposing team a great chance (leading to a goal a few times).

Can't expect anyone to be perfect, especially a 19-year old defender playing against men - but man he has some great upside, and it's showing.

Reactions: BigBlu

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Just from my viewings, he does everything good, good two-way player, good skater, great shot, underrated hands and vision.

I am not saying he will be a superstar, just that he has that as a ceiling. I think realistically he can be a responsible 60pt winger.

Just have to hope he returns from his injury soon..... wondering if he had some kind of setback.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Twenty-two reasons to be optimistic about the Maple Leafs in 2022 – The Athletic

19. Topi Niemela has emerged as a top prospect

It wasn’t a happy finish to 2021 for Nick Robertson (injured) and Rodion Amirov (not playing much in the KHL).

For Topi Niemela though, it’s been a party.

Our resident Leafs prospect guru, Josh Kloke, explains:

No Leafs prospect had a more meteoric rise in 2021 than Niemela. He proved he could dominate in a men’s league as a teenager, something no other Leafs prospect did, or has done since Sandin’s 2019-20 season with the Marlies. Niemela’s historic offensive production rightly gets the headlines, but also he’s learned to use his smarts to defend more effectively against the rush. That should help him eventually become an NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad