Confirmed Signing with Link: Top NHL prospect Kaprizov has re-signed in KHL for 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
There's no reason for the Wild to trade Kaprizov. Yes the initial situation between him and management was fubar, but things seem to be ironed out at this point. With the KHL buyout rules, no one's going to see him before 2020 or so anyway. It seems like it's his intent to make the hop to the NHL at that point, and there's no reason for him to avoid playing for the Wild.

1. The team is not that good.
2. The team has few young stars. If any.
3. The market is not desirable, for a Russian.
4. Wild have no history with Russian players.
5. He would take a pay cut to come over.

For Kaprizov, there are many reasons to avoid Minnesota.

Reactions: paragon

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
TBH this isn't the worst scenario for the Wild. KHL is a good league, so his development will not be hindered. A bigger problem would be if he signs in the KHL when this deal is up.

Reactions: 57special

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
1. The team is not that good. I realize they dont have a Cup but they are a very consistent Playoff team every year.
2. The team has few young stars. If any. Granlund, Zucker, Nino, Coyle are all very good players not elite gamebreakers but quality talent to build around
3. The market is not desirable, for a Russian.. Why is that??

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Hard to refute with all that bold text.

1.) It's a good-ish team now and will probably be a good-ish team in 2020. In a league with parity like we see in the NHL right now, that's about as good as you can hope for.
2.) Can't argue with that. Really, the hope for Minnesota is that Kaprizov might become one of those.
3.) Not sure what about Minnesota is particularly undesirable for Russians. It's definitely cold.
4.) Again, can't argue. It's something they should work on.
5.) In the short term, yes, because of the ELC rules. In the long term, I doubt it.

Bottom line though, Minnesota holds his rights indefinitely, so if he wants to play in the NHL it's going to be for Minnesota initially. Attempting to force a trade to the ideal team (whoever that is) seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid a few years in Minnesota.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Hard to refute with all that bold text.

1.) It's a good-ish team now and will probably be a good-ish team in 2020. In a league with parity like we see in the NHL right now, that's about as good as you can hope for.
2.) Can't argue with that. Really, the hope for Minnesota is that Kaprizov might become one of those.
3.) Not sure what about Minnesota is particularly undesirable for Russians. It's definitely cold.
4.) Again, can't argue. It's something they should work on.
5.) In the short term, yes, because of the ELC rules. In the long term, I doubt it.

Bottom line though, Minnesota holds his rights indefinitely, so if he wants to play in the NHL it's going to be for Minnesota initially. Attempting to force a trade to the ideal team (whoever that is) seems like a lot of trouble just to avoid a few years in Minnesota.

If they look at trading his rights, Minnesota could likely get a significant asset in return for Kaprizov. Or they can sit on it and have his value diminish.

At this point, it's evident that he's not too keen on coming over to Minny. If Minnesota had some history of Russian players, I think this wouldn't be a factor. Guys go to cold climates from Russia because they're comfortable with the market.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Outside of 2 teams at the top and 3-4 teams at the bottom, the entire Western Conference is "middle of the pack."

That's right.

The point still stands that the team isn't good enough for Kaprizov to overlook all the other factors.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If they look at trading his rights, Minnesota could likely get a significant asset in return for Kaprizov. Or they can sit on it and have his value diminish.

At this point, it's evident that he's not too keen on coming over to Minny. If Minnesota had some history of Russian players, I think this wouldn't be a factor. Guys go to cold climates from Russia because they're comfortable with the market.
Can they? If the premise is that Kaprizov only comes over for a team of his choosing, the Wild are going to be limited in trade partners. The list would be 2, maybe 3 teams? And they'd need assurances that he'll actually come over, since he's (hypothetically) refusing to come for the Wild. What exactly would we expect for a return there?

And again, it sounds like Fletcher, Kaprizov and Milstein all agree that he'll be over in 2020. If Sept 2020 comes around and he's still not here, then yeah, trade away.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

1) Playoff team for the past five years.
2) Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Niederreiter, Brodin and Dumba are all solid players and relatively young as well. May not be superstars but all are solid top 6 forwards / top 4 defensemen at 26 and under.
3) Why exactly?
4) Bryzgalov was here. We've also had some other Russian players. Is this even relevant?
5) Yes, ELC does that. Long term? No.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, the Wild have drafted Sokolov, Lodnia(he and Kaprizov share the same NA agent), and Svetlakov in the past couple of years. While they don't have a history of Russians on their team(Bryz doesn't count, he is more like a Martian than a Russian, or any other Earthling), they will likely have a future with Russians on their team.

Last edited:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Outside of 2 teams at the top and 3-4 teams at the bottom, the entire Western Conference is "middle of the pack."

So what you are saying is roughly 20 teams are middle pack 6 are elite and 5 are horrible in the NHL if thats the case for him coming over here then the odds arent good he ever plays in the NHL if he wants to be with a specific team area

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
1) Playoff team for the past five years.
2) Granlund, Zucker, Coyle, Niederreiter, Brodin and Dumba are all solid players and relatively young as well. May not be superstars but all are solid top 6 forwards / top 4 defensemen at 26 and under.
3) Why exactly?
4) Bryzgalov was here. We've also had some other Russian players. Is this even relevant?
5) Yes, ELC does that. Long term? No.

1. I didn't say Minny is not a good organization. That market is fantastic and have managed to make the playoffs playing any style of hockey they had to. It's a great organization but looking at the team, Kaprizov is likely not blown away enough to commit to something he seemingly doesn't want to commit to.

2. Those are nice players but none of them are young star players for Kaprizov to get excited about.

3. Because Minnesota has made almost no effort to lure Russians, in the last 20+ years. Word of mouth is likely a big thing in Russia. Tell me one former Russian hockey player that could or would sell Minny to fellow Russian players. Krivokrasov? Nazarov? Khudobin? Bryzgalov?

4. Yes. It's very relevant.

5. ELC is a pay cut. But if you're goibg to take a pay cut and leave your homeland, you go somewhere that you can either win or enjoy living in through the winter. Maybe the team has fellow Russians that you can befriend. Ask former NHL players that moved over to the KHL how hard it was playing in Russia, on a mediocre team, with no North Americans. Not desirable.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So what you are saying is roughly 20 teams are middle pack 6 are elite and 5 are horrible in the NHL if thats the case for him coming over here then the odds arent good he ever plays in the NHL if he wants to be with a specific team area
Which is my point. Most of the league is "middle of the pack." Even the "powerhouses" like Boston and Tampa seem very ephemeral right now, up one year and down the next. I mean an expansion team has been ruling the entire Western Conference this season, for crying out loud.

If a KHL player wants to make the jump to NA, they're probably going to end up on a Wild-caliber team one way or another.

Reactions: FVM and Northerner

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Which is my point. Most of the league is "middle of the pack." Even the "powerhouses" like Boston and Tampa seem very ephemeral right now, up one year and down the next. I mean an expansion team has been ruling the entire Western Conference this season, for crying out loud.

If a KHL player wants to make the jump to NA, they're probably going to end up on a Wild-caliber team one way or another.

Pretty much.

The Mild aren't terribly good. They're okay this season. I think we can go on a run like last year and so on...

I WOULD be surprised if we didn't make the post season this year. That would be surprising. But, like last year, unless we get things running more like a well-oiled machine leading into the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised if we get knocked out fairly early again.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
1. I didn't say Minny is not a good organization. That market is fantastic and have managed to make the playoffs playing any style of hockey they had to. It's a great organization but looking at the team, Kaprizov is likely not blown away enough to commit to something he seemingly doesn't want to commit to.

2. Those are nice players but none of them are young star players for Kaprizov to get excited about.

Maybe that helps the Wild also, Maybe hes looked at like a Franchise player that can take the team to the next level and he wants to be the main guy for an organization

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Why should Kaprizov have signed with Minnesota last summer?

By staying in the KHL he can continue his development, gets to earn significant money, play on a very good team that can challenge for the Gagarin Cup and go to the Olympics. Come to the NHL last summer? No Olympics, no certainty over playing time and no big money in the short term.

At the end of his current KHL contract he will only need a 2 year ELC, and the first year of that can be burned immediately. So instead of 3 years on ELC money, it will be 1 year.

I wouldn't read anything more into this beyond it being a pretty smart decision. He might have preferred two years, but the team insisted on three. We don't know. I don't think Minnesota will have a problem getting him signed in a couple of years. I would be extremely surprised if someone from Nvk wasn't interested in the NHL.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Why should Kaprizov have signed with Minnesota last summer?

By staying in the KHL he can continue his development, gets to earn significant money, play on a very good team that can challenge for the Gagarin Cup and go to the Olympics. Come to the NHL last summer? No Olympics, no certainty over playing time and no big money in the short term.

At the end of his current KHL contract he will only need a 2 year ELC, and the first year of that can be burned immediately. So instead of 3 years on ELC money, it will be 1 year.

I wouldn't read anything more into this beyond it being a pretty smart decision. He might have preferred two years, but the team insisted on three. We don't know. I don't think Minnesota will have a problem getting him signed in a couple of years. I would be extremely surprised if someone from Nvk wasn't interested in the NHL.
Not refuting your points, but wasn't his new contract believed to be up to 1m a year, later revised to up to 10x his prior 70k contract? A standard ELC is 925k with bonuses so I don't know if the money was very different.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Perhaps Kaprizov needs to actually prove he can play in the NHL before he makes judgements that he is too good to be playing with the likes of Staal, Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, Zucker, etc..

He may well come over and be an instant star in the league...or not. I would guess he is going to be somewhere in between.

Some of the arrogant attitudes from some Russian posters(not all )are unbelievable. Don't seem to hear this shit from Finns or Swedes, even though they have some great players.

Last edited:

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Perhaps Kaprizov needs to actually prove he can play in the NHL before he makes judgements that he is too good to be playing with the likes of Staal, Granlund, Suter, Spurgeon, Zucker, etc..

He may well come over and be an instant star in the league...or not. I would guess he is going to be somewhere in between.

Some of the arrogant attitudes from some Russian posters(not all )are unbelievable. Don't seem to hear this **** from Finnish or Swedes, even though they have some great players.

I think he's an NHL player and we could definitely use him (arrogance of Russian posters notwithstanding)

I also think it's true that Minnesota isn't all that attractive to Russians, Czechs, etc... just isn't. I still think it's one of the reasons we lost Gaborik - he always wanted to play under the bright lights of the big city. Swedes and Finns like Minnesota - Russians maybe not so much. Doesn't hurt my feelings any.

Fact is, the Wild own his rights. If he wants to play in the NHL, he'll play in Minnesota. If he doesn't, he'll stay in the KHL - nothing wrong with wanting to play at home (we didn't complain when Suter and Parise signed with the Wild). His life, his choice - he's a young man with some very good options.

Regardless, I can't imagine the Wild would get any offers that would make it worthwhile to trade him. What's he worth? A third, maybe? Keep him and wait him out.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010
When he was drafted, did something happen with him and management? Or is he just wanting to stay in Russia?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Sucks for everybody, not just the Wild. I want to see these guys play that are highly touted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad