Top 60 centers of All Time Rules Discussion - Proposed Rules in Post 100

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
The Hockey Hall of Fame also has their Honored Members listed by position: http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsPlayersByPosition.jsp?pos=C
So going by that list, there's 76 centres in the HHOF who are eligible for this. Another 8 active/recently retired who will likely be inducted to the Hall their first chance. Another 8-10 players who had their primes in the European leagues who would might've made the Hall under different circumstances. Plus we're all going to have our own personal lists of 15-25 players not in the HHOF who deserve serious consideration.

There's going to be a lot of great players who won't make our initial top 80 lists. Definitely more than the goalies or defencemen.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Assuming the voting totals in the poll don't change drastically, or people don't flock to any of C1958's radical changes to procedure, this seems to be the one sticking point left to discuss.

The reason for for preferring to add 4 per round: More individualized discussion of players. There were cases in the defenseman project where it seemed the 5th place vote getter wasn't discussed in as much detail as we could have done.

The reason for preferring to add 5 per round: 12 rounds of 5 won't take as long as 15 rounds of 4. You're adding almost another month to the project if you go from 12 to 15 rounds.

Anything I'm missing?

No, you outlined the strengths of each method sufficiently.

Length.Reducing to eight rounds would reduce the length by app six weeks below 12 to 15 rounds, so attrition is not a factor nor do changing schedules and outside responsibilities enter the picture.

Focus. If only 4 or 5 are being ranked each round then that limits the focus to the top four or five. The rest are deferred to the next round. Rank eight out of ten and the focus shifts to eight with 9 and 10 in play much longer with 4 or 5. Nothing radical, just an application of the NHL approach to standings in the 21 team era. 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs. Same basic ratio. Every player or team is in contention much longer.

Every player else gets attention and support.

Why would adhering to the way the NHL playoff admission standards between 1980 and 1991 be a goal of ours?

Even if it was, if we were inducting 4 of 5, or 5 of 6, we'd still be meeting those standards, so this is no reason to push 8 through per round.

Anything that increases the importance of Round 1 voting and decreases the importance of the Round 2 discussions is a bad idea.

Increasing the ability of Round 2 voting to create movement from initial lists by increasing the number of candidates per round as we move along (while keeping the number actually added to the final list per round the same) is one of the biggest improvements we made from the original Top 100 lists, IMO.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I doubt that non-ATD'ers have a ready made list of their top 80 centers.

I'm the biggest list-making nerd ever and I don't have one. I doubt any other ATDers do. It would be too much of an ever-evolving thing.

wut?

Allright, I guess I know where you stand vis-á-vis older players. Good to know.

well that didn't take long.

Only getting 2-3 new votes per day for the past several days; it's clear that Top 60 won. We'll be doing the Top 60 Centers of All Time.

Based on input in this thread, we've slightly modified the rules from defenseman and goalies projects here. If you have any questions about them or desired tweaks, now is the time to speak up.

Absent any major rule changes, the preliminary discussion thread will be up in a few days. I'm sure we all can't wait to start actually talking about the players, rather than quibbling about rules.

Rules look good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad