Toronto
Depends on what you're looking for / define as a good debut

-crowd reaction
-impact
-what they did debuting or went on to do that year

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
that crowd reaction would, that was louder then jericho's.

Helps that it was the post-Mania crowd. Albeit Jericho's was a hot Chicago crowd in the Allstate Arena which everybody praises for its acoustics. Mix in the Rock and the months long buildup makes me prefer Jericho's.

It did feel a little strange for Shinsuke to walk the ring, pose, then have his music hit again as the show went to commercial. I suppose they're going to limit his mic time since that's a weakness for casual fans, but I wouldn't have minded him saying something simple as "The King is here."

Taker's debut didn't quite have the same fanfare as modern ones. I think we look at it more fondly due to his subsequent career.

I suppose it's arguable whether Scott Hall's debut/re-debut in WCW would count but that was a pretty memorable one for me.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Maybe not top 5 by any means, but Eric Bischoff showing up during a throwaway Booker T/Coach backstage interview was a jaw dropper for me.

Brock had a pretty good debut as well even if it was just smashing jobbers.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't see how Kane is not the concensus here: a) most bad ass debut b) most unreal character c) best debut in terms of story development.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't see how Kane is not the concensus here: a) most bad ass debut b) most unreal character c) best debut in terms of story development.

At the time, I thought Kane was disposable Undertaker foe #114 along the lines of The Executioner. Definitely was proven wrong on that one. Also Vince's commentary took away from it for me.

I suppose there's also the factor of a guy having an established track record versus being a complete unknown.

GENERALRYEGUY*

Feb 26, 2017
OSHAWA, ONTARIO, CAN
i respect everyones opinions and choices in this thread i really do...

I guess for me its just that Shinsuke Nakamura's entrance is so unique and different and his music is just so awesome and it gets the crowd really into it, smackdown was the first time i had ever seen his entrance or anything like that cause i can't watch NXT because i don't have the network and i never will get it but im still a big fan...so i guess seeing that got me really really excited and thought man this guys awesome.. but your right him arriving then leaving was kinda odd..woulda been cool if he said...

"cena might be gone, but the king of strong style is here"

meh whatever, can't wait to see him wrestle now...

funny as i have rewatched it about 6 or 7 times and still get goosebumps from it!!!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
At the time, I thought Kane was disposable Undertaker foe #114 along the lines of The Executioner. Definitely was proven wrong on that one. Also Vince's commentary took away from it for me.

I suppose there's also the factor of a guy having an established track record versus being a complete unknown.

Kane was crazy built up though, and his debut ripping the door off?

It felt like a totally different from form Taker's previous monster of the week feuds.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Just for laughs. Spike Dudley debut leading to the tag team tittle. What a sequence.

But I think overall Jericho had the best Debut in terms of overall effect.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

He was supposed to be a one-off for Taker to go over iirc, but Glenn Jacobs was so good in the role that he got 20 years out of the Kane character. Amazing, really.

I'd put the Shield and Nexus debuts in the top 5 easily.

I'd put The Shield in there. Nexus just leaves a sour taste in my mouth because of how that turned out.

Jericho is the best debut of all time imo, though.

Shinsuke for the initial reaction is definitely up there, and I doubt WWE is going to **** up his booking -- mostly because he's on Smackdown. Maybe he's top-5 debut, it's still too early to say, but it's going to take a lot to top Jericho's imo.

On another note, Shinsuke's debut was at the perfect time. It was at 9pm for a segment that advertised calling out Cena. Imagine sitting at home and seeing that big time entrance and reaction to this huge star who oozes charisma? Instantly hooked.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I don't know much post the mid '00s, but Jericho is tough to beat.

But this one is unforgettable for other reasons, too :lol:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4