Top 5 players in 2016 NHL Re-Draft

How many of the top 5 would still be there in a redraft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

barrsdow

Jul 3, 2017
I just don’t think he as good as people make him out to be.
Plus he’s a bit of a d***.

Thats why I personally put him in the top 5. Really annoying, draws the most penalties in the league and has decent points (on pace for 58 pts). All while not being a great skater and playing on a shut down line with Troy Brouwer. No one's saying hes a great offensive threat but he does all of this now as recent 20yearold and, like a marchand, has the ability to become a better scorer.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Thats why I personally put him in the top 5. Really annoying, draws the most penalties in the league and has decent points (on pace for 58 pts). All while not being a great skater and playing on a shut down line with Troy Brouwer. No one's saying hes a great offensive threat but he does all of this now as recent 20yearold and, like a marchand, has the ability to become a better scorer.

His offensive skill is underrated. Yeah may not be top 10 in the league, but he'll be a 60-70 pt scorer and hard to play against.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Matthews
Laine

then the rest of the field , I don't know and really have not followed closely anybody else
Except I know points wise
Sergachev
is doing good, though I believe base on few games he is being sheltered? Still good
Tkachuk is top 4, but he is more built now to play so his ceiling and trajectory might be lower than the others who still have the potential to be better.

Then I don't know the 5th... :) and beyond

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
No shot.

The end game for Puljujarvi and PLD is going to make you look silly. These players are 19 years old if you think they are finished developing youre mistaken. Big players take longer its proven time after time.

And Bratt and Debrincant are done developing just because they're small? At this point in time, neither PLD or Puljujärvi have done anything to put themselves above Bratt or Debrincant. All four are interchangable right now based on preference IMO.

Reactions: NoelG

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
And Bratt and Debrincant are done developing just because they're small? At this point in time, neither PLD or Puljujärvi have done anything to put themselves above Bratt or Debrincant. All four are interchangable right now based on preference IMO.

Higher upside for Puljujarvi and PLD, its not hard to see if you have been following high draft picks that are big players for longer than a few years. Small players consistently reach their peak at an earlier time its proven time and time again bigger body types take longer to mature, coordination etc. The best example that resinates for most people is Sergei Samsonov and Joe Thornton. Both drafted by Boston the same year, both entered the NHL the same year Samsonov won the Calder. When the dust settled I think we all know who the better player is.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Higher upside for Puljujarvi and PLD, its not hard to see if you have been following high draft picks that are big players for longer than a few years. Small players consistently reach their peak at an earlier time its proven time and time again bigger body types take longer to mature, coordination etc. The best example that resinates for most people is Sergei Samsonov and Joe Thornton. Both drafted by Boston the same year, both entered the NHL the same year Samsonov won the Calder. When the dust settled I think we all know who the better player is.

So you had to go all the way back to the late 90s for a good example? I would hardly put any creedance in your logic and it seems you're basically just basing your opinion on draft position. If anything, smaller players would have more difficulty adjusting to the NHL and physicality/maturity of their opponents. It goes both ways.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Matthews

Mcavoy
Laine

Keller

Dubois
Tkachuck
Sergachev
Bratt
Pullji

From 4-9 could change by the day for now imo

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
[citation needed]

I'm not even going to say they won't be better, because they might very well be, but when discussing a redraft at this point in time, the players playing in the NHL at a high level with lots of development still in front of them are clearly the better choice.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

That is the impressive part. If he improves his skating, and maybe learns to play RW so he can get more offensive linemates. His potential is scary.

58 points while being with Backlund playing the minutes they do is obscenely impressive. Hard to say how it stacks up with Keller as they are just complete opposites of eachother.

Matthews
Laine

Tkachuk/McAvoy/Keller

That's mine. Bottom three are toss ups. Sergachev and Dubois could catch that group as well.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Pretty crazy how Big D*** Bratt is even being considered for this considering where he was picked.

NoelG

Oct 27, 2018
Lol looking back at this how wouldn't Debrincat be ahead of a few of these players.l? specifically Pulju.....

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews
Laine
McAvoy
Keller
Tkachuk

is how I would go.

Freaking Bruins always end up with a star player despite drafting in the teens or later. Pastrnak and McAvoy are top 3 talents. I guess it's only fair that they missed out on Barzal, Connor etc.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
If I had to rank them:

1-5
Matthews
Laine
McAvoy
Keller
Tkachuk

6-10
Bratt*
Sergachev
Fox
Puljujarvi
Dubois

3-7 is really a tossup for me, I think it's easiest to think of this group in tiers.

Tier 1
Matthews
Laine

Tier 2
McAvoy
Keller
Tkachuk
Bratt*
Sergachev
Fox

Tier 3
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Brown
Girard
Debrincat
Borgstrom
Thompson
Chychrun

Tier 4
Just
Kunin
Juolevi
Nylander

I'm probably missing a few notables, that's just off the top of my head.

*Homer voted, but he's very easily been our 2nd best forward this year. He's been by far our best defensive / all around winger, while being our 2nd most dangerous offensive player and smartest all around player. He's 2nd in team scoring on a 55 point pace, despite the fact that he's played like half of the year on the 3rd/4th lines. He plays in all situations - roughly 4 mins on special teams every night, split almost evenly, so he's only getting about 12 mins of ES TOI per game. His the best half-wall PP setup man I think we've ever had, and arguably our best PK man as well (though Gibbons has been stellar), his composure and anticipation are off the charts.
Lol imagine putting Laine in the same tier as Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad