• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Crosby isnt top 5

He is bareky ppg

Get ready for a rematch

See you guys in the playoffs

I don’t have him in my top 5 (I have Barkov 5th), but the Pens are a low scoring team and their PP is a mess. Sid is still one of the best 5v5 point producers and possession players in the league. Not that he shouldn’t be blamed for the PP struggles but I imagine he’d pick it up in a different situation. He’s also pretty damn consistent. Compared to someone like Pettersson, who is getting a large percentage of the vote, he doesn’t have as many multi-point games, but also has fewer scoreless games, and I’ve never seen him look as useless as Pettersson does some nights like tonight

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ESP (Even Strength Points) this season for Centers :

Nathan MacKinnon
Connor McDavid
Auston Matthews
Elias Pettersson
Robert Thomas
J.T. Miller
Tim Stützle
Matt Duchene
Sidney Crosby
Leon Draisaitl
Nazem Kadri
Mathew Barzal
Brayden Point
Casey Mittelstadt
Charlie Coyle
Mark Scheifele
Vincent Trocheck
Sebastian Aho
Bo Horvat
Etc.

Steven Toast

Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
4 series out of 7 he’s scored 4 or 5 goals, once as a rookie and every series against a Vezina winner.
Quick correction, Matthews has played in 8 playoff series and scored 4 or 5 goals 4 times. Hes also scored 0, 1, 1, and 2 goals in other series. 22 goals in 50 playoff games is simply not good enough for an almost pure goal scorer.

Matthews needs a dominant playoff run to be considered on the same level as the other top centers in the league in clutch games. McDavid, Drai, MacK all have several dominant runs in the playoffs.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
McDavid, Mackinnon and Matthews not being unanimous choices sums up this place really well. :laugh:

Reactions: karlstegger

Busher

May 17, 2021
Draisaitl should have more votes. He’s clearly in the top 4. Track record still matters, and he (like McDavid, Matthews and Mackinnon) has it.

Reactions: Duke74

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Quick correction, Matthews has played in 8 playoff series and scored 4 or 5 goals 4 times. Hes also scored 0, 1, 1, and 2 goals in other series. 22 goals in 50 playoff games is simply not good enough for an almost pure goal scorer.

Matthews needs a dominant playoff run to be considered on the same level as the other top centers in the league in clutch games. McDavid, Drai, MacK all have several dominant runs in the playoffs.

Great, he’s also played injured in 3 of them, leaving one bad series when he was able to actually shoot the puck. Trust me, Leaf’s fans are the last you need to tell that he still needs that one (or two) dominant and lengthy playoff run, but people here act like he lays eggs every single round

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
so ATM the votes would have the top 10 as

1) MacKinnon
2) McDavid
3) Matthews
4) Draisaitl
5) Pettersson
6) Hughes
7) Crosby
8) Barkov
9) Miller
10) Eichel
HM) Point

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Great, he’s also played injured in 3 of them, leaving one bad series when he was able to actually shoot the puck. Trust me, Leaf’s fans are the last you need to tell that he still needs that one (or two) dominant and lengthy playoff run, but people here act like he lays eggs every single round
A 36 goal pace in his career playoffs could be fairly called laying eggs. I don't care much for excuses for lack of production. Draisaitl played the 2022 playoffs injured and put up 32 points in 16 games.

WillTheThrill

Mar 2, 2016
you must've threw up a little in your mouth to even put McDavid 3rd, I can't imagine how horrible that internal struggle to not leave McDavid off that list entirely must have been for you.

but not surprised to see you have Auston "one-trick pony" Matthews as your number #1. pretty sure he'd be higher than that if you could find a way to do it.
Sure, Matthews is a one-trick pony at doing literally the objective of the game- scoring goals. This sounds so silly.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Draisaitl should have more votes. He’s clearly in the top 4. Track record still matters, and he (like McDavid, Matthews and Mackinnon) has it.
The issue about voting him as top-five center is that a significant portion of his strong track record comes when he's playing the wing with McDavid.

If you look at Draisaitl's outputs and results exclusively as a center, without McDavid, they are not top-five calibre.

If you just had a list of like "best offensive players", then yes, Drai would surely be top-five.

My votes: The three Ms are first. They're obvious.

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnon
3. Matthews.

After that it gets tougher. I'm putting Barkov 4th, because he is truly, now that Bergeron is gone, the platonic ideal of a Selke calibre top-line center. I'll give Crosby 5th, based on deference to his career, but could be swayed to someone else.

4. Barkov
5. Crosby

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews/Hughes/Pettersson/Draisaitl

Flip some coins or something for which one you're going to exclude. For me it'd be between Pettersson and Matthews, but it's hard to ignore what Matthews is doing this year in the goal department. But when he's not a 70-80 goal scorer, it's back to Pettersson.

crosby87

Oct 15, 2017
I don't think Crosby has a serious argument for top 5 at this stage of his career. Just don't see what he possibly has over Barkov, Hughes, EP.
i think if this was asking what top 5 do you take for the playoffs crosby easily makes it in the top 5.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Clear top 4 of

McDavid
Mack
Matthews
Drai

5th came down to EP, Hughes for me and i went with EP as he's more complete imo

klefbombs shoulder

Jul 21, 2023
Based on the voting, OP got his order of 1-10 almost bang on with the majority opinion. Only change would be Crosby moved above Barkov and Miller.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Also amazing defensively
Amazing is a stretch. Matthews is so dangerous out there offensively that when he's out on the ice, the other team is kind of just worried about shutting him down instead of pressing for offense. He doesn't really have to do much defending compared to most C. He's competent when he needs to be but it's not really a huge part of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad