Top 5 Centers in the NHL

who are your top 5 centers in the NHL?

• Total voters

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It’s absolute revisionist history to try to claim Barkov shutdown Matthews.
Bobrovsky did though. He had an unbelievable series.

There’s a much bigger difference between Matthews and Barkov offensively in 34s favour than there is defensively between the two.

:laugh: okay, it was ALL Bobrovsky and nobody else...you win.

Barkov’s peers view him as the most under rated. Many hockey fans haven’t figured it out yet. “Sure, he’s like, top 10-20.” They don’t see themselves underrating him. This other guy is comparing Barkov and Matthews at GPG and thinks he’s making a point lol.

Oh I know. Leafs fans are too predictable.
Points mean everything, I don't blame them. I blame the Toronto media.

It's a difference of player preference and will always take the Barkov/Bergeron player over the flashy goalscorer.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
So....we don't care about points , yet you have McDavid and MacKinnon listed as your top two...I guess based on their all-world shut down defensive ability. LOL. You have been contradicting yourself at every turn. Haha keep going though, this is getting enjoyable.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

It's a difference of player preference and will always take the Barkov/Bergeron player over the flashy goalscorer.

. Like any fanbase, the majority of us know there’s more than points. The problem is you are asserting that when entire game is taken into account Barkov suddenly becomes a better player which is just not the case. (I haven’t been involved the whole discussion, not sure if the argument is as good as or better tbh, either way it’s wrong)

And yeah Bobrovsky is overwhelmingly the reason the Leafs lost. Matthews had plenty of quality chances

Last edited by a moderator:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Like any fanbase, the majority of us know there’s more than points. The problem is you are asserting that when entire game is taken into account Barkov suddenly becomes a better player which is just not the case.

And yeah Bobrovsky is overwhelmingly the reason the Leafs lost. Matthews had a ton of quality chances

I get it, Matthews is a great goal scorer but I'd rather have 5 other C's on the ice.

You have your opinion and I have mine, you're not gonna change my mind and I'm not gonna change any Leafs fans for obvious reasons.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I get it, Matthews is a great goal scorer but I'd rather have 5 other C's on the ice.

You have your opinion and I have mine, you're not gonna change my mind and I'm not gonna change any Leafs fans for obvious reasons.

I personally couldn’t care less about preferences, we all have them, but if it’s based on a foundation of misrepresenting players thats where I’d have an issue (not saying that’s what you’re doing necessarily)

I still maintain the difference between Matthews and Barkov offensively is larger than the difference defensively. Also the difference defensively between Barkov and McDavid or Barkov and MacKinnon is greater in both cases than Barkov and Matthews. So it does seem a little inconsistent.

That said, McDavid and MacKinnon are both clear cut top 5 centers like Matthews so I see no issue with either inclusion.

You’re entitled to have the opinion there are 5 better Centers than Matthews in the NHL just understand it isn’t one that is well supported.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Your shots at leaf fans are in fact you being a jackass whether you acknowledge it or not.

I personally couldn’t care less about preferences, we all have them, but if it’s based on a foundation of misrepresenting players thats where I’d have an issue (not saying that’s what you’re doing necessarily)

I still maintain the difference between Matthews and Barkov offensively is larger than the difference defensively. Also the difference defensively between Barkov and McDavid or Barkov and MacKinnon is greater in both cases than Barkov and Matthews. So it does seem a little inconsistent.

That said, McDavid and MacKinnon are both clear cut top 5 centers like Matthews so I see no issue with either inclusion.

You’re entitled to have the opinion there are 5 better Centers than Matthews in the NHL just understand it isn’t one that is well supported.

You win championships with players like Barkov [Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar]
You win Rocket awards with players like Matthews

Screenshot_20240220_194629_Chrome.jpg

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

View attachment 822900

1 series doesn't define any player lol, Matthews is absolutely a 2-way player as well but he's such an elite goal scorer his defensive game flies under the radar. Barkov and co did a very good job shutting him down, Florida won in 5 so it's not really a shock that Matthews got shut down - there's correlation there.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
1 series doesn't define any player lol, Matthews is absolutely a 2-way player as well but he's such an elite goal scorer his defensive game flies under the radar. Barkov and co did a very good job shutting him down, Florida won in 5 so it's not really a shock that Matthews got shut down - there's correlation there.

No it doesn't but it's a good comparison (as limited as sample may be) when talking about meaningful games (playoffs) and adds to my argument that I prefer Barkov over Matthews.

Do you not see Leafs fans just stating it was ALL Bobrovsky and nothing to do with Barkov?
We may get round 2 this year to pad the argument.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1 Aho
2 Thompson
3 Stutzle
4 Zibanejad
5 Barzal

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017

View attachment 822900
You win championships with great teams, not one player. This isn't the NBA. Florida's success last season had more to do with Bobrovsky and Tkachuk. Not saying Barkov wasn't good, but he wasn't the main reason for their run to the finals.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You win championships with great teams, not one player. This isn't the NBA. Florida's success last season had more to do with Bobrovsky and Tkachuk. Not saying Barkov wasn't good, but he wasn't the main reason for their run to the finals.

Bob had 6 elite games of .940 sv% or better. He wasn't that good in the 4 games vs BOS (.891 and 16 GA)
He wasn't good vs VGK (the whole team wasn't either).

Tkachuk was really good vs BOS and CAR but was a ghost vs TOR.

FLA had 21 playoff games last year, are we just gonna ignore stats like this below?
So half of the playoffs he helped hold these 5 elite offensive players to 3 goals when 5 on 5.

Screenshot_20240220_201704_Samsung Internet.jpg

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I think the top 4 are easy:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

After that, it gets tricky. But, even as a Canucks fan who is happy to see Petey and Miller here, I've got to go with Sid. He's still got it.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Right now?

McDavid
Drai
Barkov
MacKinnon (outplayed by Barkov 1 on 1)
Matthews (outplayed by Barkov 1 on 1)
Barkov outplays all of these players, yet is so far behind them in points. Same +/- as Matthews (I know it's not a perfect stat). Strange. I guess he must not outplay the rest of the centers in the league?

Reactions: rangersfansince08

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Crosby isnt top 5

He is bareky ppg

Get ready for a rematch

See you guys in the playoffs

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Get ready for a rematch

See you guys in the playoffs
Huge pressure on Matthews to perform in the POs. Can't pot 70 in regular season and score 0-2 goals in a series. He needs to finally have his look at me moment in the playoffs.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Huge pressure on Matthews to perform in the POs. Can't pot 70 in regular season and score 0-2 goals in a series. He needs to finally have his look at me moment in the playoffs.

4 series out of 7 he’s scored 4 or 5 goals, once as a rookie and every series against a Vezina winner.

Barkov outplays all of these players, yet is so far behind them in points. Same +/- as Matthews (I know it's not a perfect stat). Strange. I guess he must not outplay the rest of the centers in the league?

Matthews has dominated Barkov in 95% of their matchups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad