Top 5 Active Legends(Question)

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Quickly, whitout much thinking (I'm at work), I would say,in no particular order :

Sakic
Leetch
Yzerman
Lindros (for all he has done and not done, inside or outside hockey)
Chelios

That said, to me, in a way, "legend" means that we consider them for having done things that they actually haven't done, or done with less "mythic" aspect than what people told. It usually comes with time. A lot of time.

doublejack

Feb 11, 2004
Detroit
Leaf Lander said:
brodeur
leetch
lidstrom
yzerman
chelios

Those four aren't even questionable, they are the top four active legends. Sakic is probably the fifth, although a case could be made for Hasek.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
For fun, here's my 5 active legends based on another view of "legend" stuff : the fact that they have element(s) on their game or career that will make people exagerate and having heavy arguments about it.

Hasek (because of his accrobatic and unusuall saves)
Bertuzzi (because of you know what.)
Forsberg (I imagine some say "without injuries, he could have been one of the all time best)
Ti Domi (because of his reputation as en enforcer, and his look)
Martin Brodeur ("He was the best all time" vs "No, he had the best d-men")

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
1) Yzerman
2) Sakic
3) Brodeur
4) Hasek
5) Jagr

Apologies to Chelios, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Lindros, Kariya, Selanne, Pronger, Niedermeyer

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Good question. I think you need to look at active players who rank among, or on the outer fringe, of the top 50 players of all time. Hard to compile a 1-5 list, so here's who should be considered (in no particular order):

*Chelios: One of the top 10 defencemen of all-time.
*Lidstrom: Darn close to one of the top 10 defencemen of all-time.
*Yzerman and Sakic: Almost inseparable on a list of the top players of all-time. What's not to like?
*Hasek: One of the top five goalies of all-time. Might not be eligible for active status much longer.
*Brodeur: One of the top 10 goalies of all-time.
*Jagr: Few players will have their place in the game's history debated as much as Jagr, but no denying status as a legend or a first-ballot HHOFer.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Stev Yzerman
Joe Sakic
Chris CHelios
Dominick Hasek
Jaromir Jagr
and sure fire HHOFers.....
Peter Forsberg
Nicklas Lidstrom

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Yzerman-THE Captain
Chelios-the warrior, all-time great
Lidstrom-one of the top 5 D-men of all-time
Hasek-did more with less (terrible style, bad teams, etc.) than almost anyone
Jagr-I don't like him, but his talent was enormous

What's with the votes fro Lindros? The guy was merely "very good" at his prime 7 years ago! :dunno:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
LePoche69 said:
Quickly, whitout much thinking (I'm at work), I would say,in no particular order :

Sakic
Leetch
Yzerman
Lindros (for all he has done and not done, inside or outside hockey)
Chelios

That said, to me, in a way, "legend" means that we consider them for having done things that they actually haven't done, or done with less "mythic" aspect than what people told. It usually comes with time. A lot of time.

Lindros? No matter what he has or hasn't done, he's not to be mentioned in the same paragraph as those guys, unless you're talking about how much potential he had. Lindros is not a legend in any way.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
rohan said:
Lindros? No matter what he has or hasn't done, he's not to be mentioned in the same paragraph as those guys, unless you're talking about how much potential he had. Lindros is not a legend in any way.

There is an argument to be made for Lindros. The guy's talent, his draft fiasco, accomplishments, etc.

I wouldn't put him on my list, but I can see there being an argument for it. Talent-wise he is on par with Jagr, Forsberg, and guys of that ilk. People forget how dominant he was before his concussions.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
rohan said:

I don't know for the rest of you guys, but as a quebecers, Lindros will surely becomes a urban legend...

- He refused to put the Nords shirt on draft day, despite having been chose first.
- His parents decided everything for him, from his junior team to his NHL team
- He's the most hated player I have ever seen here in hockey crazy province of quebec
- He went to the "so-hated" Leafs and was hurt again, making everybody laugh out loud in quebec (I know it un-sportsmanlike, but still, it happens), therefore creating a "vengeance anecdote" for all Nords fans (there is still a lot)
- There is allready a urban legend about him stating that he got punched out in a bar by elvis stoiko.
- the trade that sent him to the flyers was legendary; He was trade to two teams!
- The relation between him, his family and B. Clarke is probably more interesting than most sope opera.

That is legend stuff to me...

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Jagr
Hasek
Sakic
Brodeur
Yzerman

HM: Chelios, Lidstrom, Leetch

Jagr and Hasek stand out to me in terms of individual accomplishment and will also be remembered as two of the most spectacular players ever.

Sakic is clutch and usually underrated.
Brodeur's success speaks for itself.
Yzerman's quiet greatness squeaks by Chelios' gritty leadership for fifth spot.

Mace_37

Nov 27, 2005
Canada
His name hasn't been mentioned yet, but Sundin will retire a HHoFer.
Yzerman,
Sakic,
Jagr,
Brodeur
are all locks. There are too many players to narrow it down to one more.
IMO, Mogilny is legendary. He should and would have been the first Russian to play 1000 games. He still hasn't yet, thanks to the respectable Lou Amarello. The first Russian to defect, and would be lighting lamps if he were still in the NHL.
Belfour will also make the HHoF. There are probably 15-20 players who will make the HHoF who are active right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad