Top 5 Active Legends(Question)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Mace_37 said:
His name hasn't been mentioned yet, but Sundin will retire a HHoFer.
Yzerman,
Sakic,
Jagr,
Brodeur
are all locks. There are too many players to narrow it down to one more.
IMO, Mogilny is legendary. He should and would have been the first Russian to play 1000 games. He still hasn't yet, thanks to the respectable Lou Amarello. The first Russian to defect, and would be lighting lamps if he were still in the NHL.
Belfour will also make the HHoF. There are probably 15-20 players who will make the HHoF who are active right now.

Your post souds like you are blaming Lou Lamoriello for the fact that Mogilny's status and production has declined. I don't think that's fair or accurate.

1st. Almo has ammassed 1032 career NHL games. Lou Lamoriello did not prevent Mogilny from acheiving that feat.

2nd. Moglilny did not play well for the Devils this past year. He just wasn't putting the puck in the net and doing the job he was brought in for. He would still be lighting lamps in the NHL, there just would be a long period of slience between each goal horn.

Mogilny IMO was one of the best goal scorers the NHL in the 1990s possibly ever, but his best days are behind him thanks to father time, not Uncle Lou.

XploD

Jun 2, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Mace_37 said:
His name hasn't been mentioned yet, but Sundin will retire a HHoFer.
Yzerman,
Sakic,
Jagr,
Brodeur
are all locks. There are too many players to narrow it down to one more.
IMO, Mogilny is legendary. He should and would have been the first Russian to play 1000 games. He still hasn't yet, thanks to the respectable Lou Amarello. The first Russian to defect, and would be lighting lamps if he were still in the NHL.
Belfour will also make the HHoF. There are probably 15-20 players who will make the HHoF who are active right now.
Agree. Totally forgot about Mogilny.

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Well since Yzerman has retired :bow: I will update my list of active legends....
Sakic, Chelios, Hasek, Jagr, Forsberg/ Lidstrom (tie for 5th)....:clap:

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Well since Yzerman has retired :bow: I will update my list of active legends....
Sakic, Chelios, Hasek, Jagr, Forsberg/ Lidstrom (tie for 5th)....:clap:

Players close to being all time legends..Brodeur, Fedorov, Bure, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Lindros, Modano, Sundin, Leetch, Belfour

Players not in the same league despite great careers....Mogilny, Roenick, Recchi, ...... and most of the stars of today:handclap:

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
Players close to being all time legends..Brodeur, Fedorov, Bure, Niedermeyer, Pronger, Lindros, Modano, Sundin, Leetch, Belfour

Players not in the same league despite great careers....Mogilny, Roenick, Recchi, ...... and most of the stars of today:handclap:

Ooopa....Bure retired.:blush:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Yeah, this list just got a little easier to compile with Yzerman out of the picture. If Hasek retires, it should be a consensus:

Chelios
Sakic
Lidstrom
Jagr
Brodeur

I don't see any other active players in the class of these five players (again, that's if Hasek retires). The order might be a different (I'd have Chelios as No. 1, but that's because of my preferance for tough, physical, all-round defencemen, even if Chelios is a jerk).

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Yeah, this list just got a little easier to compile with Yzerman out of the picture. If Hasek retires, it should be a consensus:

Chelios
Sakic
Lidstrom
Jagr
Brodeur

I don't see any other active players in the class of these five players (again, that's if Hasek retires). The order might be a different (I'd have Chelios as No. 1, but that's because of my preferance for tough, physical, all-round defencemen, even if Chelios is a jerk).

Yes that is the list if Hasek retires. Easier to make. Closest to those 5 is Forsberg.

beba91

Jun 27, 2006
Montreal
What about Fedorov people :dunno:. First ever Russian to play 1000 games/ First ever Russian to get 1000 points. I'm pretty sure he was the First European to win the MVP I could go on forever. He should be in the top 5 active legends.

Last edited:

Lux Aurumque*

Sakic
Lidström
Chelios
Brodeur
Selanne

HM: Hasek, Fedorov, Jagr

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
What about Fedorov people :dunno:. First ever Russian to play 1000 games/ First ever Russian to get 1000 points. I'm pretty sure he was the First European to win the MVP I could go on forever. He should be in the top 5 active legends.
So out of Chelios (top 10 all-time defenceman), Lidstrom (four-time Norris winner), Hasek (six-time Vezina winner), Sakic (three-time first team all-star centre who has won everything in the game), Brodeur (two Vezinas, three Cups and a career that is far from finished) and Jagr (five-time scoring champion), who should Fedorov be ranked ahead of.

Fedorov's a future HHOFer, but he's not a top five active legend.

beba91

Jun 27, 2006
Montreal
So out of Chelios (top 10 all-time defenceman), Lidstrom (four-time Norris winner), Hasek (six-time Vezina winner), Sakic (three-time first team all-star centre who has won everything in the game), Brodeur (two Vezinas, three Cups and a career that is far from finished) and Jagr (five-time scoring champion), who should Fedorov be ranked ahead of.

Fedorov's a future HHOFer, but he's not a top five active legend.

And Sergei's 2 Selkes, one Lester B, 1 MVP, 3 Stanley Cups, 6 All Star Appearences and his +/- rating of 269 shouldn't put him before Brodeur or Sakic?

Brodeur is a Legend in the making so you can't put him up there with everyone else yet.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
And Sergei's 2 Selkes, one Lester B, 1 MVP, 3 Stanley Cups, 6 All Star Appearences and his +/- rating of 269 shouldn't put him before Brodeur or Sakic?

Brodeur is a Legend in the making so you can't put him up there with everyone else yet.

No, Brodeur is already a legend, that's why he's so increadible. He's a legend that is still growing, but it would take a disaster to tarnish his legend at this point.

Sakic is notably better offensively that Fedorov. Has a Conn Smythe and should have two. Has the all-time record for overtime playoff goals. It's close, but Sakic is better. Sakic is much more of a leader than Fedorov.

Fedorov is up there. He is one of the greats, and a sure fire hall of famer. But. IMO. It cheapens the word legend to call Fedorov one. He just isn't THAT good.

IMO. The following players are all above him.

Jaromir Jagr-From 1981-2001 only three players won the scoring title. The Great One, The Magnificent One and Jagr. (Jagr being the weakest with only 5 scoring titles to his name.)

Dominick Hasek-From 94-95 to 01-02. Hasek put on a goaltending clinic that puts legends to shame. (This entry is pending Hasek's retirement.)

Chris Chelios-Constantly one of the most feared and respected players in the NHL for over 20 years. The total package for a d-man. The best American hockey player ever.

Niklas Lidstrom-One of the best defensemen ever. Proved that a d-man can have grace and skill and still be the most devistating and dominant player on the ice. The first European to ever win playoff MVP.

Martin Broduer-4th all time in wins, expect him to finish career 2nd. 7th all time in shutouts, expect 3rd. (He could still theoretically break Sawchuk's nigh unbeatable record of 103.) 4th in playoff wins, expect 2nd. 2nd in playoff shutouts, expect 1st. All he needs to cap off his career is the elusive Conn Smythe.

That's 6 so it;s adjustable should Hasek retire.

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Martin Broduer-4th all time in wins, expect him to finish career 2nd.
Marty Brodeur signed a 6-year extension in January. If he averages only 20 wins per season, he will finish with 566 career victories, good for first all-time. That is a conservative estimate being that Brodeur led the NHL in wins in 2005-06 with 43, and he has averaged 39.8 wins per season since 1995-96. Here are the current all-time leaders for wins by a goaltender:
Code:
1. Patrick Roy	  551
2. Ed Belfour	  457
3. Terry Sawchuk	  447
[B]4. Martin Brodeur[/B]	  446
5. Jacques Plante	  435

Brodeur only needs to average 26 wins a year to reach the loft mark of 600 career wins.

charlio lemieux*

Just some names for consideration:

S. Niedermayer, Shanahan, Modano, Nieuwendyk, Roberts, Blake, Leetch

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Marty Brodeur signed a 6-year extension in January. If he averages only 20 wins per season, he will finish with 566 career victories, good for first all-time. That is a conservative estimate being that Brodeur led the NHL in wins in 2005-06 with 43, and he has averaged 39.8 wins per season since 1995-96. Here are the current all-time leaders for wins by a goaltender:
Code:
1. Patrick Roy	  551
2. Ed Belfour	  457
3. Terry Sawchuk	  447
[B]4. Martin Brodeur[/B]	  446
5. Jacques Plante	  435

Brodeur only needs to average 26 wins a year to reach the loft mark of 600 career wins.

Assuming he plays all 6 years. I was deliberately very conservative in my estimates. And even being as conservative as I was, it demonstrates just how good Brodeur is.

OvechkinDomination*

That's BS. Federov said himself he would have never had that achievement if Mogilny didn't get injured in the same season he got his 1000th point.

albathegreat*

Belfour
Sakic
Chelios
Brodeur
Jagr

Its hard to argue any of those for what they have accomplished

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad