8. Harrington
9. Desrochers
10. Lindgren

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Timashov seems to be underrated on these boards. He's got an NHL frame, incredible playmaking ability and if he used his hard shot more often he could put up big goal totals. He's also been leading his team in the Q playoffs.

I have him ranked right behind Johnson in the prospect group.

1. Mathews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Brown
5. Johnson
6. Timashov
7. Dermott
8. Soshnikov
9. Kapanen
10. C.Carrick
11. Valiev
12. Nielsen
13. Leivo
14. Hyman
15. Loov
16. Gauthier
17. Leipsic
18. Bracco
19. Dzierkals

The leafs are heavy with forward prospects and would be wise to select some d men and goalies in the upcoming draft with picks 25 to 61.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Timashov seems to be underrated on these boards. He's got an NHL frame, incredible playmaking ability and if he used his hard shot more often he could put up big goal totals. He's also been leading his team in the Q playoffs.

I have him ranked right behind Johnson in the prospect group.

1. Mathews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Brown
5. Johnson
6. Timashov
7. Dermott
8. Soshnikov
9. Kapanen
10. C.Carrick
11. Valiev
12. Nielsen
13. Leivo
14. Hyman
15. Loov
16. Gauthier
17. Leipsic
18. Bracco
19. Dzierkals

The leafs are heavy with forward prospects and would be wise to select some d men and goalies in the upcoming draft with picks 25 to 61.

You draft by best player avaliable on the board not by need

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
At the top of the draft ....you draft
BPA....after you draft by highest ceiling and position. A right shot d man holds more value then a left shot d man. You need at least 4 goalies In the system at anyone time with one of them in the CHL or college hockey or in Europe.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
At the top of the draft ....you draft
BPA....after you draft by highest ceiling and position. A right shot d man holds more value then a left shot d man. You need at least 4 goalies In the system at anyone time with one of them in the CHL or college hockey or in Europe.

you just draft the best player... teams don't worry about Left vs Right or if they've already taken 4 wingers.

if you take the best hockey player - he can be played, or dealt for a useful player in a different position.

Dubas has even said pretty much this exact statement before.

this draft by position or need thing makes me laugh every time.

and Right handed D men only hold more value in Toronto's system because we have so few.. look at a team like Carolina.. they have tons of right d men they'd gladly trade for a forward of equal potential...

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
you just draft the best player... teams don't worry about Left vs Right or if they've already taken 4 wingers.

if you take the best hockey player - he can be played, or dealt for a useful player in a different position.

Dubas has even said pretty much this exact statement before.

this draft by position or need thing makes me laugh every time.

and Right handed D men only hold more value in Toronto's system because we have so few.. look at a team like Carolina.. they have tons of right d men they'd gladly trade for a forward of equal potential...
There is a premium on Right shot D men ...anyone who posts on here should be aware of this.

Trading for someone's left overs is not a great way to build a team. You need to draft players in key areas and one of them is a quality top 4 right shot D man. Babcock is a huge believer on pairs of D man playing their strong hand.

Dubas is not the GM nor is he the head of scouting or making our draft selections....Hunter is and Lou

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Drafting by position is not ever in the first round but the second round and beyond it is a huge part of the equation...as you need prospects in all positions to be successful.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Looks good

You almost have to consider Nylander, Hyman, Soshikov, and C. Carrick as non prospects. They are almost guaranteed to be Leafs.

Forwards Dmwn Goalies
Marner
Leivo Valiev Bibeau
Brown Dermot Sparks
Kapanen Corrado
Neilsen Kasimer
Johnson Loov
Timashov Lingdren
Gauthier
Dzerlols
Lindberg
Liepsic

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The need to draft what you need.

You can overdose on small, skilled guys. You can't play them all so you can't showcase them and end up having to trade them for picks again.If you want certain types you have to draft them as there is no guarantee what you need is available via trade. Take Edmonton for example they took lots of skilled, young, flashy forwards but can't get what they need for them in trade and so are frozen.

Our defense is missing some grit and we could use a big nasty top 6 forward.No one is giving away top 4 dmen these days and everybody needs one.

Diddy

Feb 20, 2015
SK
it appears with Marner at #3 in a lot of these that quite a few people will be pleasantly surprised...

Our prospect pool is loaded. It's not like he's way down. We know he'll be awesome but Nylander has played very well and will have a great career.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
Based on tallying votes 10 pts for 1st, 1 pt for 10th excluding a few of the more insane posters here the consensus seems to be

Matthews

Nylander
Marner

Zaitsev
Brown

Soshnikov
Dermott
Johnson
Kapanen
C.Carrick

Timashov
Nielsen
Hyman

Valiev
Leivo
Leipsic
Bracco
Lindberg

Gauthier
Harrington
Sparks
Look
Smith
Percy
Dzierkals

Bibeau
Kaskisuo
Lindgren
Piccinch
S.Carrick
Desrocher
Korostelev
Engvall

Cameranesi
Joshua
N.Vesey
Toninato
Herzog

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
---------
Soshnikov
Zaitsev
Brown
Johnson
C Carrick
---------
Timashov
Dermott

The fact that Tima and Dermott are barely cracking my top 10 speaks to the incredible depth that this team has accumulated.

This is pretty similar to my opinion.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
You can overdose on small, skilled guys. You can't play them all so you can't showcase them and end up having to trade them for picks again.If you want certain types you have to draft them as there is no guarantee what you need is available via trade. Take Edmonton for example they took lots of skilled, young, flashy forwards but can't get what they need for them in trade and so are frozen.

or trade them for what you need which is what the plan is.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You can't count on that.

or trade them for what you need which is what the plan is.

I'm sure Edmonton thought that once upon a time, but not now.They have overdosed on skill forwards and can't get anything for Yakopov. What good is taking a Bracco with a 2nd then trading him for a 2nd years later then realizing you need G,Big defensive D etc? I will make you a strange bet, that in 3 years Bracco will be worth a 2nd rounder when Toronto realizes they have 10 young skill guys and Mathews upfront. It is only a theory, doesn't mean it pans out they way you want.Current trends don't always last and a premium may be on other types in a few years.And I seriously don't like our G situation for example.I think an 5 all offensive PMD with no big net clearers is lame. I'm also concerned we don't have guys to handle the Jack Eichels etc.

Babcock saw the problem against Buffalo and touched on it.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
The lists lacking Zaitsev completely are comical...could very well be in Calder discussions come march.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Here is HFB rankings

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2040149&highlight=prospect

1. William Nylander - 82.35%
2. Mitch Marner - 94.59%
3. Connor Brown - 50.00%
4. Kasperi Kapanen - 69.42%
5. Andreas Johnson - 29.38%*
6. Travis Dermott - 55.91%
7. Dymtro Timashov - 61.00%
8. Josh Leivo - 28.08%
9. Nikita Soshnikov - 25.93%
10. Brendan Leipsic - 30.91%

Matthews is a lock for #1.

Only thing you're asking is where in the top 10 do we put Zaitsev? I put him around Brown

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Here is HFB rankings

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2040149&highlight=prospect

1. William Nylander - 82.35%
2. Mitch Marner - 94.59%
3. Connor Brown - 50.00%
4. Kasperi Kapanen - 69.42%
5. Andreas Johnson - 29.38%*
6. Travis Dermott - 55.91%
7. Dymtro Timashov - 61.00%
8. Josh Leivo - 28.08%
9. Nikita Soshnikov - 25.93%
10. Brendan Leipsic - 30.91%

Matthews is a lock for #1.

Only thing you're asking is where in the top 10 do we put Zaitsev? I put him around Brown

Right after Brown at 4. Also demote Kapanen a few spots may be 7 or 8.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't think I would put too much emphasis on RHD or LHD, bc the best D pairings I seen in my life time were Niedermayer and Stevens, Blake and Foote and Niedermayer and Pronger. They were either. LHD and L had or RHD and RHD.
But do agree that Leafs should draft more Dmen and GK come this year due to the wealth in FWDs.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
marner is way projected above william

sorry

i know william at the moment may be the leafs best prospect
but his roof is no where near mitch marner's

THSWinnipeg

May 5, 2016
Not a lot of love for Kapanen. I came across this thread because I have him in a keeper league and haven't watched him that much. I wanted to keep a Leaf because of their prospect pool that is coming up but I wonder if I should flip him for someone else. Thanks for the insight.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not a lot of love for Kapanen. I came across this thread because I have him in a keeper league and haven't watched him that much. I wanted to keep a Leaf because of their prospect pool that is coming up but I wonder if I should flip him for someone else. Thanks for the insight.

He's been good, not great. He probably had the weakest NHL stint with the Leafs among the lot of young players that came up, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have good potential as he was the youngest of the bunch. He's not even 20 years old yet and had a fairly strong AHL rookie campaign despite a lot of small injuries/flu throughout the year.

He's not quite NHL ready, and thus why he's just outside the top 5 on most lists and it's really not a slight against him to be just after prospects like Nylander, Marner, Matthews and Brown.

As for whether you should flip him or not, I suppose that depends on your return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad