Top 10 Post-Expansion Playoff Goalies of all Time #3

Who is the 3rd best post-expansion playoff goalie of all time?

• Ken Dryden

Votes: 50 37.3%
  • Martin Brodeur

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • Tim Thomas

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Henrik Lundqvist

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Bernie Parent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jonathan Quick

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Andrei Vasilevsky

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Jean Sebastien Giguere

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Mike Richter

• John Vanbeisbrouck

• Eddie Belfour

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Carey Price

• Mika Kiprusoff

• Curtis Joseph

• Tukka Rask

• Billy Smith

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Brayden Holtby

• Olaf Kolzig

• Ron Hextall

• Grant Fuhr

• Tony Esposito

• Tom Barrasso

• Mike Vernon

• Total voters

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
You generally have to win the Cup to win the Conn Smythe. Which team was Hasek winning the Cup on the first nine years of his career?

Not to mention Hasek absolutely should have won the Conn Smythe in 1999. Nieuwendyk wasn't a particularly strong Conn Smythe winner. He was third in the tournament in scoring.

In 1972, Dryden absolutly deserved the trophy, and he actually took it back with him.

IMO, the case for Dryden is just way too obvious for him to not go second

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Obviously Dryden spent his career playing on very strong teams. But his impact seems to be clear. In 1970 (without Dryden), Montreal missed the playoffs. They won 2 Stanley Cups over the next three seasons with Dryden. He misssed the entire 1974 season to attend law school and Montreal was upset in the first round. Dryden returned to the NHL and Montreal won four Stanley Cups in the next five five years. Dryden retired after 1979, and the Habs didn't win a single best-of-seven series over the next four years.

In summary - Dryden made it to the playoff eight times. He helped his team win the Stanley Cup six of those years (1971, 1973, 1976, 1977, 1978 and 1979). He won a Conn Smythe trophy and has the 2nd highest save percentage of any goalie during that span. In the year he missed (1974) and the years before and after his reign (1970 and 1980), the Habs failed to win a single best-of-seven series. This is all anecdotal evidence, but it tells a good story.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
(Minimum 2000 minutes played)
1st in GAA
5th in save%

This player isn't even an option, and you call yourslef experts...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm curious to see where Holtby ends up, I find ehe underrated in these discussions. Dude has some of the best playoff stats of his era.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'm curious to see where Holtby ends up, I find ehe underrated in these discussions. Dude has some of the best playoff stats of his era.
Yeah Holtby is an interesting one. His playoff resume up to his Cup win in 2018 was pretty damn impressive. I wonder if he'll crack the top 10. I'm considering extending the list to a top 15 depending on what players are left after #10.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Hasek is exactly where he should be.

His resume in the playoffs holds up against anybody with the exception of Roy.

I don't know where this idea came from that Dominik Hasek wasn't Dominik Hasek in the playoffs.

It’s from the fact that most of the teams he played on weren’t good enough to win even with him playing Superman in net. That’s literally it. People just look at the wins and think no further. (I assume these people are the same ones who voted for NFL MVP last season.)

Reactions: Machinehead

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
It’s from the fact that most of the teams he played on weren’t good enough to win even with him playing Superman in net. That’s literally it. People just look at the wins and think no further. (I assume these people are the same ones who voted for NFL MVP last season.)
Winning the last one is absolutely tied to playoff greatness, is this your first day watching sports?

Reactions: BraveCanadian

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Winning the last one is absolutely tied to playoff greatness, is this your first day watching sports?

No, I just understand that rosters have 19 players active on any given game night and it’s straight up stupid to act like wins are an individual stat.

Reactions: banks

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
No, I just understand that rosters have 19 players active on any given game night and it’s straight up stupid to act like wins are an individual stat.
The goalie is directly involved in more score-affecting events than any other 5 players combined. It’s certainly not absurd to think that if the only player on the team to play every minute of the postseason is the best player in the postseason then the team should win.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I have Roy as my #1 goaltender of all-time, and obviously #1 playoff goaltender of all-time.

I have a hot take -

1993 is overrated.

1993 is arguably the best playoff performance ever, regardless of position
It's the clutchiest performance ever by far, at the very least

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The goalie is directly involved in more score-affecting events than any other 5 players combined. It’s certainly not absurd to think that if the only player on the team to play every minute of the postseason is the best player in the postseason then the team should win.

This is like trying to argue Jacob deGrom’s win-loss record is indicative of the quality of his pitching. It just doesn’t logically track, and it makes even less sense when you really look at the numbers.

Let’s compare Hasek’s playoff Sabres and Roy’s playoff Avs. From 1994-2001, the Sabres played 77 post-season games and averaged 2.61 goals/game. They were held to 2 or less goals in 46.8% of those games and held to 1 or less in 24.7%.

From 1996-2003, the Avs played 132 post-season games and averaged 2.95 goals/game. They were held to 2 or less goals in 40.9% of those games and 1 or less in 18.9%. In the 2 years Roy won the cup and Smythe with the Avs, the team averaged a whopping 3.31 goals/game and was held to 2 or less goals just 22.2% of the time and 1 or less only 11.1%.

Hasek won less primarily because he got less goal support from the other 18 guys on the ice, not because he wasn’t good enough.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is like trying to argue Jacob deGrom’s win-loss record is indicative of the quality of his pitching. It just doesn’t logically track, and it makes even less sense when you really look at the numbers.

Let’s compare Hasek’s playoff Sabres and Roy’s playoff Avs. From 1994-2001, the Sabres played 77 post-season games and averaged 2.61 goals/game. They were held to 2 or less goals in 46.8% of those games and held to 1 or less in 24.7%.

From 1996-2003, the Avs played 132 post-season games and averaged 2.95 goals/game. They were held to 2 or less goals in 40.9% of those games and 1 or less in 18.9%. In the 2 years Roy won the cup and Smythe with the Avs, the team averaged a whopping 3.31 goals/game and was held to 2 or less goals just 22.2% of the time and 1 or less only 11.1%.

Hasek won less primarily because he got less goal support from the other 18 guys on the ice, not because he wasn’t good enough.
What gets me about this whole debate is that Hasek won a Cup and was excellent in that run, but it "doesn't count" because he played for Detroit.

Meanwhile, Roy played with Sakic and Forsberg, and that's just fine.

It's a double standard.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What gets me about this whole debate is that Hasek won a Cup and was excellent in that run, but it "doesn't count" because he played for Detroit.

It's a double standard.
Who says Hasek's cup doesn't count? I don't think that's an opinion we should be taking seriously, do you?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hey if Hasek were good, he would’ve made Miroslav Satan score more.
Oh man, Miroslav Satan killed the Rangers! :laugh:

But seriously, people need to take another look at the 1999 Sabres. The '93 Habs, these are not. Even the '03 Ducks had Kariya.

Curtis Brown and Michal Grosek were big guns on those Sabres teams.

Their top two leading scorers in the playoffs were both defensemen!!

And you know what's crazy? They were 12-3 in the East. They didn't just go to the Finals, they ran over teams.

It absolutely baffles me that Hasek didn't win the Conn Smythe in '99.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Oh man, Miroslav Satan killed the Rangers! :laugh:

But seriously, people need to take another look at the 1999 Sabres. The '93 Habs, these are not. Even the '03 Ducks had Kariya.

Curtis Brown and Michal Grosek were big guns on those Sabres teams.

Their top two leading scorers in the playoffs were both defensemen!!

And you know what's crazy? They were 12-3 in the East. They didn't just go to the Finals, they ran over teams.

It absolutely baffles me that Hasek didn't win the Conn Smythe in '99.
but he didnt win. He was amazing in the 99 playoffs and may have been cheated out of the cup but he didnt win until he went to the most loaded team, up to that point in history. its just funny because someone earlier in the thread was giving Roy crap for being on better teams, yet Hasek couldnt win until Detroit. Think both were great but Ill take Roy. IMO Brodeur is the system goalie. Lundqvist wont do well in this because he didnt win but he kept Ovi out of the 2nd round for years.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Reminds me of the hate Lundqvist gets for not winning a cup. His team averaged 2.32 goals per game during his playoff career.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

It's a double standard.
Nobody is hating on hasek, and nobody is dismissing his cups.

He was only great on the one winning run btw, and like “normal cup winner” great not “transcendent superstar” great. The resume is the resume, and hasek’s doesn’t stack up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad