Top 10 Post-Expansion Playoff Goalies of all Time #3

Who is the 3rd best post-expansion playoff goalie of all time?

• Ken Dryden

Votes: 50 37.3%
  • Martin Brodeur

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • Tim Thomas

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Henrik Lundqvist

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Bernie Parent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jonathan Quick

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Andrei Vasilevsky

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Jean Sebastien Giguere

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Mike Richter

• John Vanbeisbrouck

• Eddie Belfour

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Carey Price

• Mika Kiprusoff

• Curtis Joseph

• Tukka Rask

• Billy Smith

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Brayden Holtby

• Olaf Kolzig

• Ron Hextall

• Grant Fuhr

• Tony Esposito

• Tom Barrasso

• Mike Vernon

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Pretty simple premise: Who are your top 10 playoff goaltenders of all time post-1967?

Please recommend any additions in the replies if you feel like someone else belongs on the list.

RankPlayer% of VoteLink to Poll Discussion
1Patrick Roy49/103 (47.6%)Poll 1
2Dominik Hasek19/32 (59.4%)Poll 2

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I voted for the guy who should have been #2, Ken Dryden

If we're talking about playoff goalies, he's the only guy who can be argued with Roy IMO

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Better question is - how is Hasek even top 5? HF is a joke. May as well add Forsberg to the voting options next...
Because it’s about playoffs?
Even for those who consider Hasek the best goalie ever, its hard to argue that Roy isn't the best playoff goalie of all time.
I took the question as which goalie played better in the playoffs, not which goalie played for better teams in the playoffs. Hard to argue against Hasek when you consider their play separated from team success.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price wouldve been onay at 2, but Ill allow Hasek on skill alone.

1. Roy
2. Price
3. Lundqvist
4. Dryden
5. Quick
6. Hasek

How did Patrick Roy beat Dominik Hasek?

Because Roy is the greatest goaltender ever? Hasek was the best, but he doesnt have the PO success. He had less success than other greats with similar levels of support. Think of Price and Hank.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I took the question as which goalie played better in the playoffs, not which goalie played for better teams in the playoffs. Hard to argue against Hasek when you consider their play separated from team success.
Roy has a conn smythe from each of the 80s 90s and 00s. Hasek has [checks notes] zero conn smythes. It isn’t really a discussion.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think its fair to attribute Roy's success only to playing on better teams. Yes, he did play on better teams, but he was a massive part of the success of all of those teams. The Habs cup team probably isn't the cup champions without MVP caliber goaltending from Roy in net. They probably don't make the Finals against to Calgary if Roy isn't playing MVP caliber in net either. The Avalanche team probably couldn't have bested some of the other powerhouse teams in the West (Detroit and Dallas) at that time if they don't have an MVP caliber goalie in net. Hasek played brilliantly for some far lesser teams, that's true. But being the best playoff goalie has to have results behind it too.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
See the discussion in the first poll. Roy played in a higher scoring era than Hasek (he started in the mid 1980s). Taking the scoring environment into account, Roy had a higher save percentage than Hasek in the playoffs, and he maintained that over a much larger number of games.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Hasek has a .925 save percentage in the playoffs. He's, at-worst, 2nd on this list.
And Igor’s is .929, that is not a good argument by itself. I’ve got Brodeur and Dryden ahead of Hasek for sure.

Hasek has a .925 save percentage in the playoffs. He's, at-worst, 2nd on this list.
And Igor’s is .929, that is not a good argument by itself. I’ve got Brodeur and Dryden ahead of Hasek for suren

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dont exactly get how Quick in playoffs is talked up (Deserved) while Corey Crawford is not

Quick
49-43 with 2.31 GAA and .921 sv pct (+ 10 SO) = Won 2 SC, Lost 1 WCF

Crawford
52-42 with 2.38 GAA and .918 sv pct (+ 5 SO) = Won 2 SC, Lost 1 WCF

Same goes with Lundqvist on list who's stats are in line with Quick/Crawford

Crawford it is very commonly acknowledged was clearly robbed of 2013 Conn Smythe because he was goalie and writers made it point not to have another G playoff MVP after Thomas and Quick won in 2011 and 2012

Also, Kolzig had 1 good playoff run in his career which makes his inclusion on list odd

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Man, habs fans sure are hung up on a goalie that essentially did nothing for them. Could you imagine the Yankees fans constantly pumping the tires of Steve Sax?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hasek is exactly where he should be.

His resume in the playoffs holds up against anybody with the exception of Roy.

I don't know where this idea came from that Dominik Hasek wasn't Dominik Hasek in the playoffs.

Because if we're talking Playoffs Success, what's the arguement against Ken Dryden, a guy that has 6 Stanley Cup?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because if we're talking Playoffs Success, what's the arguement against Ken Dryden, a guy that has 6 Stanley Cup?
I win six Cups in goal for that team.

No disrespect to Ken Dryen who absolutely has the statistical basis to back up his success, and should absolutely be in the top 3 here, but "which of these goalies played on the best teams?" isn't an interesting poll.

People are forgetting how bad the Sabres teams were that Hasek took on deep runs. They made Lundqvist's Rangers teams look like Team Canada.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I win six Cups in goal for that team.

No disrespect to Ken Dryen who absolutely has the statistical basis to back up his success, and should absolutely be in the top 3 here, but "which of these goalies played on the best teams?" isn't an interesting poll.

People are forgetting how bad the Sabres teams were that Hasek took on deep runs. They made Lundqvist's Rangers teams look like Team Canada.

Dryden also has 1 Conn Smyth, versus 0 for Hasek
6 Stanley Cup in 8 years.

Once Dryden quit the Habs, the Dynasty was over.

I get Hasek > Dryden all time, obviously.
Hasek is arguably the best goaltender ever.

But playoff success? No way

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Dryden also has 1 Conn Smyth, versus 0 for Hasek
You generally have to win the Cup to win the Conn Smythe. Which team was Hasek winning the Cup on the first nine years of his career?

Not to mention Hasek absolutely should have won the Conn Smythe in 1999. Nieuwendyk wasn't a particularly strong Conn Smythe winner. He was third in the tournament in scoring.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad