Top 10 NCAA Freshmen

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I haven't seen many teams..

but ranking my gophers freshman...

we have 3 studs...

1.Kyle okposo- Has been unreal, love the kid, future nhl star.

2. Jay Baribal- had a great year, big goal last night, little and will need time, but could pan out....maybe....

3. Erik Johnson- I've been satisfied, but not blown away with him, I think he can offer more, but you can see why the scouts love him. Size, great shot, just seems indecisive sometimes.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
From what it looked like on Television EJ domianted last night. Just controls the play out there and seems to be doing everything well. Barriball is a little fiesty one but looks like he has a knack for the net and pucks just find his stick. I think it will be awesome to see him as a senior. When you watch the games people always generally tend to notice the forwards play because it is on the offensive side of the puck, but if you watch the little things Johnson does as well as Goligoski it is so fun to watch. My top three:
1. Johnson and Okposo...two completely different animals, but dominating in the ways they are supposed to.
2. Barriball- Really finding the back of the net. Fun to watch.
3. Teddy Purcell-plays at Maine, really having a good start. Can really set up and dish the puck well.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
From what it looked like on Television EJ domianted last night. Just controls the play out there and seems to be doing everything well. Barriball is a little fiesty one but looks like he has a knack for the net and pucks just find his stick. I think it will be awesome to see him as a senior. When you watch the games people always generally tend to notice the forwards play because it is on the offensive side of the puck, but if you watch the little things Johnson does as well as Goligoski it is so fun to watch. My top three:
1. Johnson and Okposo...two completely different animals, but dominating in the ways they are supposed to.
2. Barriball- Really finding the back of the net. Fun to watch.
3. Teddy Purcell-plays at Maine, really having a good start. Can really set up and dish the puck well.

How was David Fischer?

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I personally think Fischer is getting better every single game, from what I have seen. Getting more and more comfortable with the puck and is gaining confidence. I see him as a Paul Martin type of defenseman in a few years.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
A couple of Denver forwards, on their way to a decent freshman year are Ruegsegger (11pts in 12 gp, only 1 point off the team lead) and Rakhshani (9 pts in 12 gp), not likely top 10 but probably in the next group.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Okposo and Baribal have been impressive same with Johnson.

Brandon Wong (Qu) is leading the ECAC in scoring, so he's got to be up there. I've heard good things about Matt Beca (Clarkson) and Tony Romano (Cornell). Ryan Lasch (SCSU) is leading the WCHA in scoring and teammate Nodl looked in the one game I saw.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
your_rogers_bill:

Do you want to know who's leading the nation or who has impressed me most thus far? I'm asking becasue my lists would be slightly different.

Some of the players already mentioned would be on my lists too: Barriball, Okoposo, Johnson, Ruegsegger, Purcell, Trotter, Romano

Some others that I've been impressed with that I've seen so far: Dion Knelsen (Alaska), Ryan Thang (Notre Dame), Jamie McBain (Wisconsin), Mark Letestu (Western Michigan), David McIntyre (Colgate), Jordan Fulton (Minnesota-Duluth).

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
Two others worth mentioning from the CCHA are Jarod Palmer from Miami and Eddie Del Grosso from UNO.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Anyone have the chance to see Bowling Green yet? I'm interested in how local product Kai Kantola is looking so far this year. His stats seem ok for a Freshman but stats never tell the whole story.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Is Derrick Lapoint playing also in a league part of the NCAA? Because he is putting numbers there, but it's hard to evaluate if its that good since I don't know the league he is part of.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Every NJ freshman has exceeded their expectations so far.
-TJ Miller has 8 points in 12 games on the blueline for Northern Michigan.
-Tony Romano has 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games for Cornell.
-Nathan Perkovich has 8 goals and 3 assists in 12 games for Lake Superior
-Mark Fayne has been Providence's best defensmen has 2 points in 12 games +2.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is a classic college hockey post. Everyone highlights the NHL prospects or the players playing for the top college teams. Some that are being overlooked:

Chris Moran, Niagara - leads all freshmen in scoring. I've seen him a couple times and he's looked very good. Gets overlooked because of the big guns on Niagara.

Brandon Wong, Quinnipiac - haven't seen him but I've heard good things. 10 goals in 12 games as a freshman speaks to that.

To be honest, the freshman class hasn't been terribly great this year to this point. They've had stretches of good play (Barriball started hot, Okposo consistent, etc.) but no one has really dominated. Alot of guys doing well.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
DaveG: In answer to your BG question, yes I have. Anything in particular you want to know about Kantola?

Kritty: I believe someone already mentioned Brandon Wong. I've would've named Chris Moran too, but Niagara isn't really well known, even in college hockey circles. If we're going to get into top performing rookies who are obscure/unknown, then why not throw in Carl Hudson and Josh Heidinger as well?

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
This is a classic college hockey post. Everyone highlights the NHL prospects or the players playing for the top college teams. Some that are being overlooked:

Let's be honest. There is a big difference in doing well as a freshman (especially a true freshman as opposed to a 20 year old freshman) in a league like the WCHA or Hockey East as compared to the CHA or ECAC.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
DaveG: In answer to your BG question, yes I have. Anything in particular you want to know about Kantola?

Mostly how he's being used (3rd line role would be my guess) and how his overall game is comparing to the opponents and the rest of his team. The aspects of his game that are strong at the NCAA level and those he needs to work on. He's the first real prospect to come out of Raleigh so a few of us on the Canes board have been trying to keep track of him through the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad