Top 10 Goalie Prospects Right Now

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
5’11” 165 currently

Are you saying he should not be considered because of size ? What do you do about Saros then ?
Saros is pretty unique in today's NHL.

There are 64 NHL goalies...how many are under 6'? Saros and then?? I'm sure the Russian is very talented but the odds of him making the NHL are very slim. When looking at a top ten list I want it to be a list of players who actually have a realistic chance of making the NHL as a starting goalie. Goalies under 6' are like finding a center in the NBA who is 6'8". Very very rare.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Both Wolf and Levi are being punished on peoples lists for being young guys who got their cup of tea while being not quite ready for extended NHL stints. Especially for Wolf, no other goalie on this list has come anywhere close to his pre NHL accomplishments.

2019/20 -WHL: .935%, 1.88 GAA, CHL GOTY
2020/21 -WHL: .940%, 1.80 GAA, WHL GOTY
2021/22 -AHL: .924%, 2.35 GAA, AHL GOTY
2022/23 -AHL: .932%, 2.09 GAA, AHL MVP
2023/24 -AHL: .924%, 2.39 GAA

This last season is on a not overly great AHL team. Most goalies named maybe have one season that compares to any of Wolf’s years, definitely not 2-3 consecutive years.
So I agree with all this but there were a LOT of posters screaming as loud as they could that he is NHL ready and posted those exact same stats. Trade Vladar, bring in Wolf has been a very consistent theme all year. Wolf is ready. Wolf is the best goalie not in the NHL.

Then he got his games and now it's 'too soon'. And I don't mean you directly but I have read so much about Wolf being ready for the NHL on HF since Last April.

1709572445220.png

He definitely wasn't the 'answer' this year. 6 foot goalies struggle in the NHL. To my knowledge there is only one left now that Halak is gone. Saros.

Reactions: Hinterland

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Carl Lindbom just had fantastic back to back seasons at the pro level in Sweden, as a 20 and 21 year old

He would be getting more hyped if he was picked by a team with a bigger/louder fan base IMO

Or one of a few teams hurting on goaltending depth.

tnfrs

Jul 19, 2023
Heres Egor Zavragin's stat line for this season

Yugra Khanty-Mansiysk VHL 17GP 1.60 GAA .943 SV% 3 shutouts 13-1-0
Playoffs so far: VHL 3GP 1.67 GAA .938 SV% 2-1-0

Mamonty Yugry MHL 9GP 1.63 GAA .945 SV% 2 shutouts 6-1-2 record

its not the KHL yet he split time between MHL and VHL but those are super consistent numbers across 2 leagues. im excited to watch this guy develop

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
So I agree with all this but there were a LOT of posters screaming as loud as they could that he is NHL ready and posted those exact same stats. Trade Vladar, bring in Wolf has been a very consistent theme all year. Wolf is ready. Wolf is the best goalie not in the NHL.

Then he got his games and now it's 'too soon'. And I don't mean you directly but I have read so much about Wolf being ready for the NHL on HF since Last April.

View attachment 829158

He definitely wasn't the 'answer' this year. 6 foot goalies struggle in the NHL. To my knowledge there is only one left now that Halak is gone. Saros.
Definitely some obnoxious fans out there, I had to argue with a Flames fan last season to try and convince him “No, Wolf wasn’t currently a better goalie than Markstrom”. I’ve been one of his most vocal supporters and I was hoping his best case scenario was light back up duties this season. I also don’t think that excludes Wolf from in fact being the best goalie not in the NHL, the NHL is just in a league of its own talent wise and it’s not unreasonable to assume even a season or two of time to adjust to it unless you’re a freak like Oettinger.

Both Levi and Wolf were the youngest goalies in the NHL this season to receive more than a game or two. Neither of them played for what I’d consider a stingy team either. Pretty easy to see why they may struggle, in a position that your prime doesn’t usually start until your mid to late 20s. He had flashes of what’s made him great but it was pretty clear he still needed to adjust. It was also apparently the organizations plan all along to get him spot starts to around the ~10 game mark so it looks like they were the most reasonable with their expectations.

Not being currently ready for the NHL at an extremely young age doesn’t eliminate the potential they’ve displayed in previous leagues. Also to your point about height, 2 of the top 5 goalies in the league right now are with an inch of those 2, as well as 9 goalies with 20+ starts this year. Their heights are only notable for people trying to find flaws, I highly doubt AHL/college shooters weren’t also aware of their height when they were utterly incapable of scoring against those 2.

Reactions: Czechboy

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

View attachment 829158

Wallstedt also got his first game and got shelled. It happens, it doesn't mean either him or Wolf are not going to live up to expectations. Wolf in particular has been the best goalie prospect not in the NHL since he made the AHL, no one's numbers really touch his, but for some reason here he's looked at like a lower tier prospect.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Wallstedt also got his first game and got shelled. It happens, it doesn't mean either him or Wolf are not going to live up to expectations. Wolf in particular has been the best goalie prospect not in the NHL since he made the AHL, no one's numbers really touch his, but for some reason here he's looked at like a lower tier prospect.
I couldn't agree more with that. I think Walstedt is a Vezina contender one day and he did look 'meh' in his 1 NHL game. Glad he got the experience, hopefully he can build on it.

Regarding Wolf, agree that he'll end up being quite good in the NHL. Just takes time.

FTR.. my fav is Lukas Dostal and he's sitting around .900 and I can't point to any stat to suggest he'll be in Vezina chats one day but I believe he will.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
“No, Wolf wasn’t currently a better goalie than Markstrom”
We've probably interacted with the same people.lol

Agree on your points. I'm hoping Flames trade a goalie and give Wolf some more NHL time to end the season. Then give him some 'to do's' for the summer. Bring him back as the 1B and give him about 30 games next season.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Levi has not even played a full pro season and has been very good playing for a Rochester team that is beyond horrid defensively.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
We've probably interacted with the same people.lol

Agree on your points. I'm hoping Flames trade a goalie and give Wolf some more NHL time to end the season. Then give him some 'to do's' for the summer. Bring him back as the 1B and give him about 30 games next season.
Me personally I’m still hoping for a Vladar trade in the offseason, with Wolf getting dedicated backup usage more than a 1B. Cherry picked starts to help him develop while Markstrom shoulders the load. If he shows he’s ready for more start giving it to him. I’m terrified of us trading away Markstrom, way too many goalies have been ruined getting responsibility they aren’t ready for and a Vladar/Wolf tandem sounds frightening.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
0.891 at 20 in OHL dude
Goalie of the year last year and spent most of this year dealing with injuries. Looks to be getting back to form now, goalie of the month for February. Wouldn't have him top 10 but nothing wrong with giving him a mention.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I watched Wolf in his last (?) game a week or two ago when he wasn't very good. What struck me though was how small he looked in the net. Lots and lots of open space for shooters. Really concerned that he is just too small for the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad