Top 10 athletes playing in your city

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
Lundqvist does not sniff the top 10 considering Durant and Kyrie just signed with the nets. No hockey players belong anywhere near an NYC list

In the five boroughs? Maybe, but hockey is big in the suburbs and surrounding metro area. As popular as KD and Kyrie may be nationally, remember that they're on the Nets, which is as low as low gets on the NY sports pecking order.

With how stubborn and loyal NY fans are, I don't see Knicks fans moving their allegiance across the East River anytime soon. The Mets are a punchline, and yet they've had a grip of ~40% of the area's baseball fans for decades.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
In the five boroughs? Maybe, but hockey is big in the suburbs and surrounding metro area. As popular as KD and Kyrie may be nationally, remember that they're on the Nets, which is as low as low gets on the NY sports pecking order.

With how stubborn and loyal NY fans are, I don't see Knicks fans moving their allegiance across the East River anytime soon. The Mets are a punchline, and yet they've had a grip of ~40% of the area's baseball fans for decades.
No one is going to switch allegiances to the Nets, but they just added arguably the best player in the NBA, and Kyrie, who is a top player as well. People don't have to like the Nets for them to be popular. Just look at LeBron. Everyone and their mother hated him when he ditched the Cavs the first time, yet, he was still the most talked about athlete in America. Just because the Nets have been relatively obscure in this market doesn't mean people aren't going to be paying attention to them. I'm a big listener to the local radio station, WFAN, and both Knicks and Nets fans have been calling up nonstop since July 1st to discuss the two acquisitions. Hell, the Rangers just landed Panarin and there is hardly a peep from network hosts.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
We have all four major sports, but it's difficult coming up with ten, especially when I feel like I have to include the Suns. These are roughly in order of best to worst of the ten.

Zack GrienkeMLB
Larry FitzgeraldNFL
Phil KesselNHL
Patrick PetersonNFL
David PeraltaMLB
Oliver Ekman-LarsonNHL
Katel MarteMLB
David JohnsonNFL
Devin BookerNBA
Clayton KellerNHL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
this thread shows me how out of touch I am with any sport outside of hockey.
Hockey player
hockey player
alien
ice cream guy
hockey player
guy always late for bus
thats how many of these read to me lol

Reactions: Holocene

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Popularity wise, Vlad Jr. is probably equal to Marner.

Current skill though, it's marner ainec
Well the question was athlete, not popularity.

If it's popularity, the current Cubs, Bryant, Baez and Rizzo are higher then everyone else in Chicago outside of Mack.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Is this just a name ten list or just putting them in a group?

A lot of these have NHL guys at the top and that’s simply not true for almost all major cities in the US if it’s a top ten list.

Crosby is in no way more popular, in Pittsburgh, than Roethlisberger. I would even argue that JuJu and Conner are more popular.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
I live downtown and had no idea who Pozuelo is. There's no chance he's in the top 10 in this city if you are looking at popularity as one of the main pieces of criteria. The list is all Leafs other than Lowry and Vlad.
Maybe he doesnt quite crack the top 10, but the mls is pretty big in Toronto

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol Vegas

Mark Stone
Jonathan Marchesseault
Marc Andre Fleury
William Karlsson
Shea Theodore
Paul Stastny
Nate Schmidt
Max Pacioretty
Alex Tuch

I don't think UFC and boxing counts.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Is this just a name ten list or just putting them in a group?

A lot of these have NHL guys at the top and that’s simply not true for almost all major cities in the US if it’s a top ten list.

Crosby is in no way more popular, in Pittsburgh, than Roethlisberger. I would even argue that JuJu and Conner are more popular.

I'd probably agree on the first one, but I'd probably guess 9 out of 10 people here recognize Sid if he were to walk down the street.

While most Steelers' fans might recognize JuJu and Conner, I'm not sure if some of the more casual fans would recognize them. I know JuJu, but if Conner walked up to me and asked for directions, I'd have no idea it was him (if you're reading this, sorry James.)

Sid's face has been everywhere for the last 14 years. I'm sure over time that will change and JuJu and Conner will be recognized more, but as of right now among active athletes in the city, it's Ben -> Sid and a long, long drop to #3.

Last edited:

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I'd probably agree on the first one, but I'd probably guess 9 out of 10 people here recognize Sid if he were to walk down the street.

While most Steelers' fans might recognize JuJu and Conner, I'm not sure if some of the more casual fans would recognize them. I know JuJu, but if Conner walked up to me and asked for directions, I'd have no idea it was him (if you're reading this, sorry James.)

Sid's face has been everywhere for the last 14 years. I'm sure over time that will change and JuJu and Conner will be recognized more, but as of right now among active athletes in the city, it's Ben -> Sid and a long, long drop to #3.

While I agree that the people here would definitely recognize Crosby over Conner and JuJu, I read the topic as a total overall popularity contest and who is most popular in the city.

The Steelers have millions and millions of fans in Pittsburgh, the surrounding areas and the world.

Two years ago a friend and I were traveling through Europe and I was upset because I was going to miss my first Steelers game since I can remember anything truthfully. But I knew he was also a major Steelers fan so we took some time out from traveling/sightseeing to find somewhere to watch it. We found a Steelers bar in the middle of Prague and that place was packed to the walls with Steelers fans. It was one of the most memorable experiences from the 3 weeks of traveling through the majority of the major European cities. Oh and they killed the Ravens in Baltimore which made it even more epic.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that it wouldn’t be the same for the Penguins in most places outside of Pittsburgh. The NFL and it’s popularity/fans are just on a completely other level from hockey.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Calvin Johnson, Verlander, Scherzer, dats.. nvm

In no order
Miggy
Boyd
Castellanos
Larkin
Mantha
Kronwall?
Griffin
Drummond
Stafford
Slay
Hm: D Rose, Reggie, Shane Greene, Jimmy Howard

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
this thread shows me how out of touch I am with any sport outside of hockey.
Hockey player
hockey player
alien
ice cream guy
hockey player
guy always late for bus
thats how many of these read to me lol

Yeah, I wish they bothered to write down team, league, whatever. First names, even.

With the exception of Vegas. That's obviously the hockey-capital of USA.

Congrats on that. :laugh:

Reactions: phillipmatchett

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
It was "talent and popularity"
Ah, well that makes sense.

Enjoy Vlad while he lasts, then. He fell to .6 WAR in a day and is listed at a light 250 pounds.

His chances of eating himself out the league by 22 are just as good as him winning an MVP

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Joe Montana
Jerry Rice
Ronnie Lott
Mark McGwire
Jose Canseco
Will Clark
Chris Mullin
Dennis Eckersley
Mitch Richmond