Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
they reason why the Canuck's fan base is mostly less than knowledgeable about their team and even the game of hockey, is because of geography. Growing up in rural alberta, everyone knew how to skate, even poor kids had access to outdoor ice. Living in Vancouver for the past 19 years i've come to realize that there is just not that level of exposure to hockey to most people. i've met 100 times as many people who learned to play hockey as adults than i ever met in alberta.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I looked up 'Canucks Diving' on AI and it came up with whatever the hell this is.

Canucks diving -2.jpg

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This has probably been mentioned before, but it's pretty funny how Vancouver fans are saying "we have Zadorov" to shut down McDavid. Like McDavid hasn't been absolutely dunking Zadorov for years now.

Underlying numbers like Corsi and Fenwick haven't been that bad, but his coaches have tried to keep the minutes down vs. McDavid the last 3 seasons and likely because Oilers have scored at a rate of 7.86 Goals per 60 at all strengths when both are on and 6.28 goals per 60 at 5 on 5.

In their one playoff matchup, Oilers scored at a rate of 16.55 goals / 60 when both McDavid and Zadorov were on the ice at 5 on 5.

Basically, Zadorov isn't bad at limiting chances for McDavid, but when McDavid gets his chances they are really good chances that cash.

Reactions: Porkleaker and Skar

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Flame fans and Leaf fans can give each other hugs Marner for Huberdeau trade incoming lol

Would be a great trade for Calgary. Marner at least has a chance to stay productive for awhile, or they could move him for multiple high picks and prospects at the deadline next year with him becoming a free agent. If nothing else it gets rid of the boat anchor contract that Huberdeau's would be.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
ESPN polled their reporters, even though Vancouver has home ice 23 out of 24 picked the Oilers to win. I’m guessing Tocchet will put that on the bulletin board, not that it will do any good.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
most of the Nucks votes in the poll are trolling Nucks posters coming in here and voting in the hfOilers poll. jebus get a life.

But 3 of the voters alledge being Oilers fans or are at least constant posters here.

So I'll ask, not calling out but how is it @gordonhught @Sra1974 and @Whoshattenkirkshoes why are you all voting for Vancouver. A chance to demonstrate your take or reveal.

Something doesn't add up here.
Allege Oiler fan? Cmon man, are you Kevin Lowe where my vote puts me in some sort of different tier of fan. Like being a fan of the team since they came in the league and a season ticket holder for two decades doesn’t count, I have to blindly vote for them an internet poll to qualify? Missed that in the fan rule book, Will note for next time.

As for why, maybe it’s my subconscious trying to avoid getting my hopes too high, but there are real concerns. This team has beat two teams in the playoffs recently, the Kings and Flames. The Canucks are better than both of those teams easily, so I think they are not an easy out.

While the sweep is circumstantial due to the early season wins and Mcdavid being out but the fact remains they dismantled the Oilers this year. The special teams will not be as dominant as thyey were in round 1. I think the layoff hurts the oilers and could get behind early in the series making it tough to get back into it.

There’s no math behind it, no deep analytical stuff, just a feeling of dread. Of course I want them to win really badly, despite what you might think, and I hope I am wrong.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm not going to diss the Canuck fan base. I'm friends with a few hardcore Vancouver fans that are equally as passionate as any other Canadian fan base. Also, I'm old enough to remember Edmonton rioting plenty of times.

I remember when Edmonton traded Doug Weight on Canada Day and that caused a massive riot on Whyte Ave. Police cars flipped upside down. Fighting everywhere. Burn piles in the middle of the road. Tons of vandalism. I remember Edmonton ended up on USA MSM literally stating, "This is how Canadians celebrate the birth of thier Country."

Back in 2006, there were numerous riots on Whyte Ave again.

Let's also not forget that after Gretz was traded, Pocklington was nabbed and shot in the ass. Literally.

My point is, all Canadian hockey fans are extremely passionate!

I generally search X for fight highlights of all the fights at the Moss-Pit after every playoff game.

Let's not think our shit smells like slow-cooked ribs!

You don't remember any of this, because it didn't happen. The Canada Day riot was not because the Oilers traded Doug Weight. Just like Pocklington wasn't shot in the arm because he traded Gretzky, just like there were not "numerous riots" on Whyte Ave in 2006.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
Friedman became a brain-broken Flames supporter/Oiler hater around 2014-2015. I think his hate for the Oilers stems from the DOD and the Oilers terrible management collecting 1st overalls; the culmination being the Oilers winning the McDavid lottery, which likely destroyed him as a Toronto born Leafs fan. He was one of the biggest Flames cheerleaders during their 'doing it right era'. The name was derived from his comments on HNIC that the Flames were building the right way by making Johnny Gaudreau their focal piece, and the ongoing constant brown-nosing of Brad Treliving and the Flames management.
Flames built for the playoffs was a big knee slapper.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You don't remember any of this, because it didn't happen. The Canada Day riot was not because the Oilers traded Doug Weight. Just like Pocklington wasn't shot in the arm because he traded Gretzky, just like there were not "numerous riots" on Whyte Ave in 2006.
There wasn't a full scale "riot" in 2006, but that first nite definitely had riot-ish behavior. Some stores got looted. A few fires broke out. Ppl climbing street signs and cars.
It's why after that there were 2 cops put on every corner

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Allege Oiler fan? Cmon man, are you Kevin Lowe where my vote puts me in some sort of different tier of fan. Like being a fan of the team since they came in the league and a season ticket holder for two decades doesn’t count, I have to blindly vote for them an internet poll to qualify? Missed that in the fan rule book, Will note for next time.

As for why, maybe it’s my subconscious trying to avoid getting my hopes too high, but there are real concerns. This team has beat two teams in the playoffs recently, the Kings and Flames. The Canucks are better than both of those teams easily, so I think they are not an easy out.

While the sweep is circumstantial due to the early season wins and Mcdavid being out but the fact remains they dismantled the Oilers this year. The special teams will not be as dominant as thyey were in round 1. I think the layoff hurts the oilers and could get behind early in the series making it tough to get back into it.

There’s no math behind it, no deep analytical stuff, just a feeling of dread. Of course I want them to win really badly, despite what you might think, and I hope I am wrong.
Curious how you'd figure these 109 point Vancouver Canucks without their Vezina starting goalie is easily better than the 111 point Flame team that the Oilers beat in 5. That Flames team also had a Vezina nominee (who was healthy), a guy who finished 4th in the Hart rankings, a guy who was a finalist for the Selke and a second player who finished top 10 in league scoring.

Beyond that. It's just kind of a silly argument.

"The Oilers have only beaten the Kings and Flames" in recent playoffs.

The Oilers have only played 4 different teams in recent playoffs. You could just as easily say that the Oilers have only lost to the eventual cup winner in recent years. The Oilers don't get to pick who they play in the first round. You can't hold it against them that they've matched up against the Kings 3 times in 3 seasons.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
There wasn't a full scale "riot" in 2006, but that first nite definitely had riot-ish behavior. Some stores got looted. A few fires broke out. Ppl climbing street signs and cars.
It's why after that there were 2 cops put on every corner

For sure, wasn't innocuous, clean behaviour, but characterizing it as a riot, or more specifically "several riots" just isn't accurate IMO. Riot-ish behaviour is a good way to put it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Curious how you'd figure these 109 point Vancouver Canucks without their Vezina starting goalie is easily better than the 111 point Flame team that the Oilers beat in 5. That Flames team also had a Vezina nominee (who was healthy), a guy who finished 4th in the Hart rankings, a guy who was a finalist for the Selke and a second player who finished top 10 in league scoring.

The Oilers have only played 4 different teams in recent playoffs. You could just as easily say that the Oilers have only lost to the eventual cup winner in recent years. The Oilers don't get to pick who they play in the first round. You can't hold it against them that they've matched up against the Kings 3 times in 3 seasons.

The Calgary team had also beaten Edmonton twice in March that year including a 9-5 thrashing the last week of March.

The one caveat though is that Calgary team was helped a bit by being really the only team not hit with COVID all year and they had what was essentially 2 month long home stand February-April (26 game stretch where all 26 games were played in 4 cities, Calgary x 21, Vancouver x2, Colorado x 2, and Minnesota and at point did they play two games in a row on the road)

Reactions: Oilhawks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Calgary team had also beaten Edmonton twice in March that year including a 9-5 thrashing the last week of March.

The one caveat though is that Calgary team was helped a bit by being really the only team not hit with COVID all year and they had what was essentially 2 month long home stand February-April.

Similar to the way the Oilers have played the Nucks in recent years, Oilers also never had an easy time against the Flames.

Save for the 8-2 shit kicking just before COVID kicked off, we often found ways to lose to the Flames or just simply didn't look any good against them for years in the lead up to the playoff matchup. Only after we killed them in the playoffs have they become an afterthought for us competitively.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Ok,wasn’t really trying to win an argument or start one just was explaining why I voted that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kinibo

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I really think that organization is trying so desperately to get something out of the Oilers as motivation. The Oilers haven't said anything about them, keep it that way.
Did this twathat who teeeted this really just imply that the Oilers are divers and embellishers? Holy f***, you’ve got to be kidding me with all the flopping Pettersson does. Now I’m mad. I hope the Oilers hammer the f*** out of them in the alley and on the scoreboard.

JABO Vancouver? He’s “JABrOny Vancouver”.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Similar to the way the Oilers have played the Nucks in recent years, Oilers also never had an easy time against the Flames.

Save for the 8-2 shit kicking just before COVID kicked off, we often found ways to lose to the Flames or just simply didn't look any good against them for years in the lead up to the playoff matchup. Only after we killed them in the playoffs have they become an afterthought for us competitively.

Canucks are a weird example though. After a few year run of 2-2 season splits, Edmonton had gone on a pretty nice 12-5 run vs. Vancouver or 6-1 over the previous two seasons. In some ways, maybe Vancouver sweeping this year was balancing an untypically successful run for Edmonton against post-Covid.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Underlying numbers like Corsi and Fenwick haven't been that bad, but his coaches have tried to keep the minutes down vs. McDavid the last 3 seasons and likely because Oilers have scored at a rate of 7.86 Goals per 60 at all strengths when both are on and 6.28 goals per 60 at 5 on 5.

In their one playoff matchup, Oilers scored at a rate of 16.55 goals / 60 when both McDavid and Zadorov were on the ice at 5 on 5.

Basically, Zadorov isn't bad at limiting chances for McDavid, but when McDavid gets his chances they are really good chances that cash.
6.28 GF/60 5 vs 5 is insane.

Zadorov's comments about MacKinnon over McDavid because MacKinnon is a "winner" and implicitly that McDavid is a loser may give #97 a hair but of an incentive here.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Last time I went was January last year. I was told that the "weather was great" - it was around 5 degrees each day, overcast and misty. It felt as cold as the weather in Edmonton with the crazy humidity and the lack of sun was depressing (one day out of 10 had some sun).

The tourtisty stuff was cool enough and the food was good (guess it helps having 10 restaurants on any given block vs a couple per block here aside from downtown and Whyte), but it was stupid expensive and ended up dodging more sketchy tent cities than here (not like it's not terrible here, but it is everywhere now). Took in a game as a 'neutral', which was interesting. It was the Hawks in town, they were winning and then the Canuckles came back to win. The atmosphere in the arena was weird, couldn't quite put my finger on it but it seemed like a lot of anger.

Anyhow, money being equal there are plenty other cities in the world I'd rather live (you could live like a king dollar for dollar in much nicer cities with "better" weather).
Vancouvers best moments are past, even for a visitor. Really the halcyon wasn't even this Century for a visitor. Place was a decent visit starting around 80's was a bit rough DT before that, and its gone slowly down the toilet since. That said even up to a dozen yrs ago you avoid the sketch but its become another city where the sketch is spread out everywhere now. For the price tag. forget it.

BC is also the sleaziest Province, and Vancouver the worst City when it comes to all these additional surcharges. They quote you a room rate but then after all the charges its almost twice the stated room rate. The carnage starts with the PST, hotel tax, parking fees, etc. The list gets longer every time I went. stopped going to Van around 2017.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This has probably been mentioned before, but it's pretty funny how Vancouver fans are saying "we have Zadorov" to shut down McDavid. Like McDavid hasn't been absolutely dunking Zadorov for years now.
We just finished dunking on Doughty as well. I mean ffs do they even think at all making comments like this. Zadorov isn't even a better D than Desharnais. Has a better shot, I'll give him that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad