Confirmed with Link: Tony DeAngelo's RFA Rights traded to Flyers for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I'm 100% a fan who is happy to see DeAngelo traded. Great $1 million defenseman. He is going to suck in Philly. Like Hamilton he should be paying Jaccob Slavin a 20% royalty.

Big condolences for the entire families who bought Carolina 77 jerseys. A contingent in section 128 with their "Let's Go Brandon" apparel every single night. Super sorry for that group. Hate to see you go.
Not sure why Canes fans are cheering for Brandon Sutter so hard still.
Or maybe it's Saad.
Fans are weird..

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Hey everyone couple questions if you don’t mind helping:

1. Was Tony actually well liked by his teammates? Or was that all BS?
2. I don’t watch every Canes games but I probably saw like 20ish this year, and I actually think he’s a better defender than Gostisbehere (Ghost is my fav player too). Fair?
3. I don’t like him. I never did. But I do believe in second chances and growing as a person. I’m skeptical on his character. Any reason to believe otherwise?

Hope you all have a great summer 🙌

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Hey everyone couple questions if you don’t mind helping:

1. Was Tony actually well liked by his teammates? Or was that all BS?
2. I don’t watch every Canes games but I probably saw like 20ish this year, and I actually think he’s a better defender than Gostisbehere (Ghost is my fav player too). Fair?
3. I don’t like him. I never did. But I do believe in second chances and growing as a person. I’m skeptical on his character. Any reason to believe otherwise?

Hope you all have a great summer 🙌

Not direct answers just a wall of text that’s strictly my own opinion:

Defends better than you’d think, but still not all that great. He’s an elite 3rd pair guy I’d say. Relying on him for regular top 4 defensive minutes is not a good idea, but you want him out there as much as possible in the offensive zone, so technically he’ll likely end up over 20mins a game, just hope 2/3 of that time is not in his own zone. He’s surprisingly physical for his size.

Has a good, not elite wrist shot. He can score from distance with it. His wrister is also very tippable. His main offensive value comes from his elite passing. He’s an excellent set up man and has enough elusivness to be able to effectively walk the puck from the boards to the middle quite effective on the PP. Is able to join the rush pretty well, I wouldn’t expect him to lead many rushes though. Good skater.

He’s very competitive, somewhat to a fault. In the Boston series he acted like an ass, but was otherwise good. He was awful against the Rangers and got exposed playing too many tough minutes with Slavin.

Very good teammate. Well liked in the room, PHI fans will love him, every other fan base will hate him, for who they think him to be and because he’s kind of a prick on the ice. I’ll be curious if he can maintain his cool in a larger more engaged market. Raleigh was perfect for him, low-key. All he had to do was play hockey. I’d be slightly worried about him slipping back into old habits in a market like Philly. Should be interesting to watch.

You’ll likely love him. I wish the Canes could have kept him.

Last edited:

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
All the best to TDA…. Wish we could have found a way to make it work but we only have <$20m in cap space, a whole lot of holes to fill and the idea was to not just bring the band back for another crack at it unchanged…. But rather to improve on last season so we don’t end up in the same spot…. With the constantly evolving contract situations of 20+ players on the big roster and needing room for inevitable injury games, have to be very careful how the money gets spent…

TDA started out really rough and everything said about his d play was on display as he tried to get used to our system and new partners and being thrust into a higher slotted role as time went on than we expected when this started as Bear also wasn’t a slam dunk fit along side Slavin….. Slavin can cover a lot but even more so than Bear, TDA was eventually better defensively as the season went along than I expected he would be…. Not an ideal long term solution on the top pair…. Which leads back to how they wanted to slot him contract wise…

no way we could get an “upgrade“ for the top right dman spot and pay Tony $5m per season on third pair…. And we needed that “upgrade” on the D and we need funds to pay for forwards as well…. TDA wasnt alone in playing poorly as the playoffs went along…. Many others need to look in the mirror and figure out how they score at a much better rate than the non existent amount many of them did in the NYR series…. And we need coaching that adapts as the other team makes adjustments like Cooper was doing with TB as they went along…. The power play was dogcrap late in the season and especially in the playoffs as teams figured out how to defend against what we were doing and we made zero adjustments to get those teams off kilter again….

Once Gardiner announced he was cleared to play and the possibility of having to account for his $4m under the cap came in, it got even tighter trying to figure out how to divide the remaining cap money…. It’s a numbers game and the leadership group views things differently on how they want to architect the team and spend the money…. It would be great to keep TDA in a 3rd pairing offense only role… but it won’t work at $5m per year or whatever he needed to get from the Canes to sign… if we did that, there is no spending big bucks on top 6 forward… there is no big bucks for top 4 dman…..

I couldn’t give a rats arse what any of the players’ political views are…they are on the team to play hockey and as long as those views don’t harm their playing abilities or mess up the team dynamic or embarass the team in a OR way or create a bad distraction in the media, they can believe whatever the heck they want away from the team….

TDA didn’t embarrass the team through the year….. he let the passion out a bit too much a few times and went over the line a bit and it got in his head and affected his play as the playoffs went along, in my opinion… it’s a delicate balancing act on that ragged edge of the blade…. I appreciated that he gave insightful commentary when interviewed. I appreciated that he was surprisingnly physical for his size and stood up for teammates (in those spots where it was up to but not stepping over the line). I appreciate that a player on the team shows his emotions and doesn’t act like a robot or just go through the motions for a paycheck…. He seemed well liked in the room and as far as we know, didn’t harm the team by being a locker room issue…. He was a steal at his contract price and it worked well for both the team and the player as it got him another nice contract and rehabilitated his career a bit. Good for him, good for us for this last year. Sorry it couldn’t work within the confines of how the team wants to divide the very limited amount of cap room we have left for next season….. All the best to him in Philly, except when we play them :)

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
This is really good insight! Thank you!

The one thing I’m still tripped up about - I just with you could pencil him in to the top 4… even second pair and I’d feel good about the player and the contract.

Reactions: Tryamw

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm 100% a fan who is happy to see DeAngelo traded. Great $1 million defenseman. He is going to suck in Philly. Like Hamilton he should be paying Jaccob Slavin a 20% royalty.

Big condolences for the entire families who bought Carolina 77 jerseys. A contingent in section 128 with their "Let's Go Brandon" apparel every single night. Super sorry for that group. Hate to see you go.

There was a guy in Section 121 last year that wore a Canes red jersey with a F J BIDEN nameplate to every game.

To think someone is so batshit they spend money on this kind of stuff really is something else.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This is really good insight! Thank you!

The one thing I’m still tripped up about - I just with you could pencil him in to the top 4… even second pair and I’d feel good about the player and the contract.

To play top 4 minutes he absolutely must be paired with an elite defense defenseman. We were fortunate to be able to play him with Slavin, who masked enough of his mistakes to make it feasible to get even strength mins.

I'm not sure Philly has a player who can do that, which has me very skeptical of this move. Especially when the front office is already talking about sheltering his mins, which I figure would mean guys like Risto and Ellis get more.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

usahockey22flyers

Nov 9, 2009
Philly
To play top 4 minutes he absolutely must be paired with an elite defense defenseman. We were fortunate to be able to play him with Slavin, who masked enough of his mistakes to make it feasible to get even strength mins.

I'm not sure Philly has a player who can do that, which has me very skeptical of this move. Especially when the front office is already talking about sheltering his mins, which I figure would mean guys like Risto and Ellis get more.
Risto stinks. Provorov has taken a step back, and Ellis is probably never going to play again and will most likely go on LTIR during the first day of the league calendar…

I’m just not sure Tony was the right guy at this current time…. But that’s the Flyers for ya

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
There was a guy in Section 121 last year that wore a Canes red jersey with a F J BIDEN nameplate to every game.

To think someone is so batshit they spend money on this kind of stuff really is something else.
I saw a guy who wore a Russian jersey with Number 45 and Trump on the back. This crazy mentality is everywhere.

i wont even spend money on a jersey with a current player on it. These guys are wild to me. Money to burn? Chicks for free?

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I saw a guy who wore a Russian jersey with Number 45 and Trump on the back. This crazy mentality is everywhere.

i wont even spend money on a jersey with a current player on it. These guys are wild to me. Money to burn? Chicks for free?

The most amusing part about that crowd is that they get extremely wrapped up in their feelings if you return the favor with a 'f*** Trump'.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

People pay for signs on their yards to publicly state their politics. A sports jersey that you can carry on yourself everywhere is pretty much the first thing you would spend your money on, if you are outwardly political.

I mean, p***y hats.

Reactions: DaveG

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
People pay for signs on their yards to publicly state their politics. A sports jersey that you can carry on yourself everywhere is pretty much the first thing you would spend your money on, if you are outwardly political.

I mean, p***y hats.
What else do you expect from a group who is proudly anti-intellectual?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I mean, p***y hats.

You mean like this one? :sarcasm:

1657380013472.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad