Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Who was attacked? I missed that post. Unless I have that person on ignore. The only person getting mild pushback for being an ignorant bore, is the guy with 25,000,000 listeners.
Too many snowflakes in our world today. Everyone needs attention and people are far too sensitive. Go watch ringette if you don’t like hitting or fighting.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No one here (or at least I don't think) wants to see Okposo seriously hurt but fighting has been part of the game since its inception--so it's not the wrong sport. That element of the game has toned down for a while but it's still very much there. Players having their own backs is what set this particular event off and basically this was DeAngelo stepping in for a teammate on what he probably perceived as a questionable hit as Zuccarello hit from behind his head seemed to hit the boards. I don't think Okposo meant for that to happen but Zibanejad moving in to jostle with him--something Mika hardly ever does probably factored into it as well.

David Quinn early on in the year addressed his team after one game when he thought that they didn't push back hard enough at another team taking liberties. I have no issue with that. We've had 17 fights this year. Compared to the past that's not very many but it's more than most this year--keeping in mind that some have occurred because an opponent went after one of our own players not leaving him much choice.

DeAngelo has a bit of throwback in his game. He's only had a couple fights but he's challenged others on several occasions. He's stuck up for teammates several times. That's part of his DNA. It's also something I wouldn't discourage.
17 fighting majors is 2nd most in the league this year I believe

Reactions: leetch99

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Okposo has never been a tough guy. He could have and should have avoided this fight. I think he saw an opportunity to take on a guy who has run his mouth in the wrong direction that he happened to outsize by quite a bit. He got overzealous and showed his lack of fighting experience by not protecting himself well at all. He's not a victim here. He should have used better judgement. When you have had concussions as bad as he has, this part of your game needs to be eliminated. It's no longer something you should be doing at all. That said, that was not your typical NHL fight punch. Most guys pull that front hand on the jersey ticky tack bs nowadays. That punch showed up ready to work.
Don’t you think his concussion history may have been part of the reason why he had poor judgment?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Especially considering his concussion history. Reading that article about what he went through and how he basically wanted to kill himself during it was horrifying. Hoping the guy is alright.
Wow, I didn’t even know that. I’m changing my opinion, then. Even though Okposo shouldn’t have fought (I sort of blame the refs, even though he pushed them aside), he probably didn’t want to look like a b***h in front of everyone, which sucks. I wouldn’t have judged him if he stepped away, knowing his history. But others probably would.

I love DeAngelo, but I’m against what he did there. I know he was standing up for Zucc, and I know it’s probably not his fault, but it’s heart-breaking to hear about Okposo. These hockey players are regular guys, too, as we all know. I really hope he’s ok. Many people were at fault last night for allowing this fight to happen.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Wow, I didn’t even know that. I’m changing my opinion, then. Even though Okposo shouldn’t have fought (I sort of blame the refs, even though he pushed them aside), he probably didn’t want to look like a b***h in front of everyone, which sucks. I wouldn’t have judged him if he stepped away, knowing his history. But others probably would.

I love DeAngelo, but I’m against what he did there. I know he was standing up for Zucc, and I know it’s probably not his fault, but it’s heart-breaking to hear about Okposo. These hockey players are regular guys, too, as we all know. I really hope he’s ok. Many people were at fault last night for allowing this fight to happen.

I don't even fault DeAngelo, he's sticking up for his teammates and did what he had to do and also let up when he knew Okposo was hurt. Okposo shouldn't have fought but by hockey's "code" or whatever felt he probably had to. His teammates, knowing his history, should have stepped in or even the refs should have stepped in before a fight started. The referees have no issue breaking up 800 other fights during the season for no reason, don't see why they couldn't last night. Not to mention if they called a penalty on the initial hit, maybe a fight never breaks out as the Rangers don't want to give up the power play.

Here's the article for those interested in reading up if they haven't already. I love when guys stick up for their teammates when warranted but seeing the outcome of what happened last night is really tough to stomach after what you read happens to these guys when they're at home.

Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I don't even fault DeAngelo, he's sticking up for his teammates and did what he had to do and also let up when he knew Okposo was hurt. Okposo shouldn't have fought but by hockey's "code" or whatever felt he probably had to. His teammates, knowing his history, should have stepped in or even the refs should have stepped in before a fight started. The referees have no issue breaking up 800 other fights during the season for no reason, don't see why they couldn't last night. Not to mention if they called a penalty on the initial hit, maybe a fight never breaks out as the Rangers don't want to give up the power play.

Here's the article for those interested in reading up if they haven't already. I love when guys stick up for their teammates when warranted but seeing the outcome of what happened last night is really tough to stomach after what you read happens to these guys when they're at home.

Back from the abyss: Kyle Okposo opens up about the darkest...
It really is tough to stomach. I’m not an emotional guy whatsoever, but reading and hearing about this type of stuff really hurts. The guy went through hell. I hope he can live a good life after he retires.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Don’t you think his concussion history may have been part of the reason why he had poor judgment?
I 100% absolutely do not.
Guys make bad decisions every day. He made one. Don't try to blame it on head injuries. If so, then he needs to be put out to pasture right away, because he's incapable of making sound decisions and can't be trusted. While you're at it, don't leave him around kids unsupervised because he can't make rational choices. Better take the car keys away too. He saw a chance to fight a guy two weight classes lower and jumped at it. Got bit. That's a lesson you learn the hard way. He's 100% responsible for this outcome because he could have just said no. He actually pushed a linesman away to get into this fight. By the rules, he should be answering for that. But whatever.

Reactions: Wicked Backhand

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
how can anyone possibly blame d'angelo for this? the hit okposo threw was dangerous and unnecessary and worthy of a response. its not like he jumped okposo, they both made a conscious decision to drop em and what happened, happened. its not like, in that moment when he's also putting himself on the line, you can have an expectation of d'angelo to be thinking about okposo's concussion history. the outcome is unfortunate is all...people just seem to look for reasons to hate on this kid. i agree its sickening to think okposo's career may be in jeopardy but it was a fight between two grown men who both made a decision, not some bs sucker punch. and ultimately, if okposo is so fragile its on him to maybe not skate through a guys numbers 3 feet from the boards...he's played long enough to know what that brings. given his history, you might also expect him to know the potential effects of throwing that hit for zucc. i can't possibly understand how anyone can place any fault on tony d for his actions...can be upset for okposo sure, but 77 did nothing wrong here.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Wow it really is a brave new world when our own fans are criticizing one of our guys for sticking up for his teammate just because the opposing teams player left the game after a fight. He didn’t even suffer another concussion and is traveling with the team.

Good on Tony D to step up for what he considered a dirty hit on one of the teams leaders, that’s what good teammates do. Anyone that has an issue with this should really find another sport to watch.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Wow it really is a brave new world when our own fans are criticizing one of our guys for sticking up for his teammate just because the opposing teams player left the game after a fight. He didn’t even suffer another concussion and is traveling with the team.

Good on Tony D to step up for what he considered a dirty hit on one of the teams leaders, that’s what good teammates do. Anyone that has an issue with this should really find another sport to watch.

In fairness, really haven't seen a ton of people saying this. Most people are on DeAngelo's side here.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
how can anyone possibly blame d'angelo for this? the hit okposo threw was dangerous and unnecessary and worthy of a response. its not like he jumped okposo, they both made a conscious decision to drop em and what happened, happened. its not like, in that moment when he's also putting himself on the line, you can have an expectation of d'angelo to be thinking about okposo's concussion history. the outcome is unfortunate is all...people just seem to look for reasons to hate on this kid. i agree its sickening to think okposo's career may be in jeopardy but it was a fight between two grown men who both made a decision, not some bs sucker punch. and ultimately, if okposo is so fragile its on him to maybe not skate through a guys numbers 3 feet from the boards...he's played long enough to know what that brings. given his history, you might also expect him to know the potential effects of throwing that hit for zucc. i can't possibly understand how anyone can place any fault on tony d for his actions...can be upset for okposo sure, but 77 did nothing wrong here.

I don't even think the hit was that bad.

However, he could have not dropped the gloves but he did. Even worse, he lunged at DeAngelo and left his chin exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad