Player Discussion Tony DeAngelo - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Anthony DeangeNO is not good. Neil Stionk last years 25 game wunderkind is Not Good.

It's ok to change your mind fellas. Just because you dubbed Stionk as "Torey Krug lite" or DeangeNo as the poor mans "Seth Jones." last year you can evolve. You can always just say I was wrong.

Instead of sticking to your guns championing mediocrity at every turn. Instead these pedestrian fans blame the coaches and the organization for the reason these average players never develop. Stop with conspiracy theories and he needs to get "meaningful minutes" whining. They just might not be good NHL players.

" If only AV had given Emerson Etem ( Kucherov Lite) more minutes" statements, discredit everything you say afterwards as a joke. So do a mea culpa once in awhile. Even I have been wrong a few times in my illustrious 40 years being a Ranger fan.

First of all, just stop. You’re closing the book on a 23yr old? You’ve got to be kidding me.

Tony D has already looked better than anything I ever saw from Etem - and Tony is a young D.

Quinn’s doing the right thing helping Tony grow up. You’ve got to just relax and hope our kids keep progressing, not shooting down guys still putting it together.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
As a saged old ranger fan once said to me "Just because their young doesn't mean their good"
Yea, I completely agree. This fan base, for the most part, really overrates young players. However, DeAngelo is not one of those players. Not only is he playing well in the NHL, he’s playing like a top pairing defenseman, and is hands down the best defenseman on the team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tony actually knows how to fight. I figured that out last year when I saw him fight and demolish Kyle Burroughs who isn't exactly a chump. There are guys who fight now and again who don't really know what they're doing or they're wrestlers--which is what Kreider is. Tony's body language pretty much tells it all--good balance and knows how to throw a punch without falling over. If he were bigger he'd be real dangerous. I like his edgy attitude on the ice too.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I rarely feel bad for players after fights, but I felt pretty bad for Okposo there. I don’t even like Okposo, but that punch was wicked.

Especially considering his concussion history. Reading that article about what he went through and how he basically wanted to kill himself during it was horrifying. Hoping the guy is alright.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Sorry, I don't get pumped up over a guy getting punched in the face when it's possible that the player could be seriously hurt.

Some of you are watching the wrong sport.

Of course a lot of it is on Okposo for dropping the gloves with his concussion history.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Especially considering his concussion history. Reading that article about what he went through and how he basically wanted to kill himself during it was horrifying. Hoping the guy is alright.
Maybe he shouldn’t be running guys, then. Not only because he’ll get tuned up. But also because he knows what it’s like to be on the receiving end of a bad hit.

Reactions: Rongomania

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Sorry, I don't get pumped up over a guy getting punched in the face when it's possible that the player could be seriously hurt.

Of course a lot of it is on Okposo for dropping the gloves with his concussion history.

I don't think anyone is celebrating the fact that a player got laid out with one punch, skating off the ice glassy-eyed and bleeding. Especially one with a concussion history. But there is a long-standing code in hockey that retaliation will ensue from a dirty hit and that players will come to the aid of their aggrieved teammate.

So we're watching the right sport for honor (and kudos to Okposo for engaging even though he had reason to decline), just an unfortunate result from it. Sometimes a player will do something silly and only skilled players are on the ice at the time. Players around the league are learning (or will do after tonight) the DeAngelo is a skilled fighter and may learn not to run players when he's on the ice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

No one here (or at least I don't think) wants to see Okposo seriously hurt but fighting has been part of the game since its inception--so it's not the wrong sport. That element of the game has toned down for a while but it's still very much there. Players having their own backs is what set this particular event off and basically this was DeAngelo stepping in for a teammate on what he probably perceived as a questionable hit as Zuccarello hit from behind his head seemed to hit the boards. I don't think Okposo meant for that to happen but Zibanejad moving in to jostle with him--something Mika hardly ever does probably factored into it as well.

David Quinn early on in the year addressed his team after one game when he thought that they didn't push back hard enough at another team taking liberties. I have no issue with that. We've had 17 fights this year. Compared to the past that's not very many but it's more than most this year--keeping in mind that some have occurred because an opponent went after one of our own players not leaving him much choice.

DeAngelo has a bit of throwback in his game. He's only had a couple fights but he's challenged others on several occasions. He's stuck up for teammates several times. That's part of his DNA. It's also something I wouldn't discourage.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Maybe he shouldn’t be running guys, then. Not only because he’ll get tuned up. But also because he knows what it’s like to be on the receiving end of a bad hit.

I didn’t like the hit though I didn’t think there was much malicious intent. Rangers did what they had to do sticking up for their teammate too. I just thought one of his teammates or the refs should have stepped in there to end it. Knowing the guys history and what he went through, watching that just isn’t something I can get excited or happy about.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad