Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
At the risk of knowingly not knowing the ins and out of buyouts, and having a new, slightly larger phone so I’m prone to typos…
We’re not competing for a few years so who cares if we retain? Buying out gets us nothing. Retaining gets us something.
Something for “nothing” is always better than the inverse.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At the risk of knowingly not knowing the ins and out of buyouts, and having a new, slightly larger phone so I’m prone to typos…
We’re not competing for a few years so who cares if we retain? Buying out gets us nothing. Retaining gets us something.
Something for “nothing” is always better than the inverse.
The problem is they’re not retaining maximum flexibility. They will retain salary on DeAngelo and Hayes, so they will only be able to do it with one more player until next July 1.

If they actually like the prospect, then ok. If they’re just throwing us a scrap, then it’s not worth it.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem is they’re not retaining maximum flexibility. They will retain salary on DeAngelo and Hayes, so they will only be able to do it with one more player until next July 1.

If they actually like the prospect, then ok. If they’re just throwing us a scrap, then it’s not worth it.
They don't have other players that they'll be retaining salary.
TK and Laughton are underpaid, so no issue there, might take back a "Lehtera" contract to fit them under a cap.
Who else is likely to be moved this summer?

They're freeing up cap room and roster spots, moving out players who are bad fits due to age and/or playing style.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They don't have other players that they'll be retaining salary.
TK and Laughton are underpaid, so no issue there, might take back a "Lehtera" contract to fit them under a cap.
Who else is likely to be moved this summer?

They're freeing up cap room and roster spots, moving out players who are bad fits due to age and/or playing style.
You don’t know that. They still have Walker, they could do it with Hart, they could broker trades. They have an entire roster of players. They need to maintain maximum flexibility because the money is irrelevant.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013

We’re not competing for a few years so if the return has less term, that’s still a win

While I’m here and out of the loop why didn’t briere jump on a first and second for Jesus i blanked on his name.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
You don’t know that. They still have Walker, they could do it with Hart, they could broker trades. They have an entire roster of players. They need to maintain maximum flexibility because the money is irrelevant.

Shedding $2.5 million in salary is what is creating flexibility here.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
We’re not competing for a few years so if the return has less term, that’s still a win

While I’m here and out of the loop why didn’t briere jump on a first and second for Jesus i blanked on his name.
Laughton

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They'll still have one retention slot, they'll regain the TDA slot next summer.
Walker at $2.65M shouldn't be that hard to fit for most teams at the TDL.
Hart's $4M is pretty reasonable for a top ten goalie.
Right now they have almost $29M next year (plus Ellis' $6M on LTIR), $36M if they move Hayes.

I don't think retaining on both Hayes and TDA will tie Briere's hands, but it does clear out two bad fits.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Not without an actual return. The buyout penalty is $1.66m this year and next. The RS slot is more important.

Perhaps. Or saving money next year and having a RS slot beyond 2024 is more important.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They'll still have one retention slot, they'll regain the TDA slot next summer.
Walker at $2.65M shouldn't be that hard to fit for most teams at the TDL.
Hart's $4M is pretty reasonable for a top ten goalie.
Right now they have almost $29M next year (plus Ellis' $6M on LTIR), $36M if they move Hayes.

I don't think retaining on both Hayes and TDA will tie Briere's hands, but it does clear out two bad fits.
The numbers don’t matter, it’s maintaining maximum flexibility. Every single dollar counts to teams who operate at the cap, use your dollars to extract as much value as possible.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Perhaps. Or saving money next year and having a RS slot beyond 2024 is more important.
They would have that slot anyways. That money only matters next year if they intend on spending to the cap.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
This seems really dumb as currently described. Wasting a salary retention slot they could use now or at the deadline to unload a legitimately awful contract.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
They would have that slot anyways. That money only matters next year if they intend on spending to the cap.

If we saved DeAngelo's retention slot for a different trade later this season, there is a decent chance that whoever that is used on would go beyond 2024. By using a slot on DeAngelo now, we get the benefit of ridding his salary without the long-term hindrance of him holding one of our retention slots for multiple seasons. Any trade that we theoretically can't broker this upcoming season because we are out of retention slots likely won't be unique, and I imagine there will be similar opportunities beyond 2024.

We don't need to be spending to the cap. We can just be preparing cap space for brokering future cap dumps. Every dollar matters after all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The numbers don’t matter, it’s maintaining maximum flexibility. Every single dollar counts to teams who operate at the cap, use your dollars to extract as much value as possible.
You don't have to retain on every deal, most deals are driven by taking bad contracts, Hayes and TDA are just grossly overpaid.
The other players the Flyers might move are not.

If a contract is reasonable, teams often just want to clear out cap room for a year or two b/c they don't mind slotting a market level contract, they just don't want to have to make room for a bloated contract. While you can shuffle out a bad contract for short-term relief, it can be difficult to match contracts and term.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If we saved DeAngelo's retention slot for a different trade later this season, there is a decent chance that whoever that is used on would go beyond 2024. By using a slot on DeAngelo now, we get the benefit of ridding his salary without the long-term hindrance of him holding one of our retention slots for multiple seasons. Any trade that we theoretically can't broker this upcoming season because we are out of retention slots likely won't be unique, and I imagine there will be similar opportunities beyond 2024.

We don't need to be spending to the cap. We can just be preparing cap space for brokering future cap dumps. Every dollar matters after all.
I don’t get your case here, using it on TDA preemptively stops them from doing so with other guys beyond next year? That’s only a problem if the trades aren’t worth it. There’s expiring contracts next year currently on the roster that we can use them on, not to mention any player we still may acquire.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013

For who? Beyond Hayes and TDA who else do we NEED to retain on?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
On one hand, Carolina operates in the modern NHL and they understand what has value, so a prospect of theirs is unlikely to be complete shit.

HOWEVER

On the other hand, this is a prospect they think has even less value than DeAngelo, which means they’re likely right, sooooooooo………….
sooooo send him to Philly.

they love garbagepail players there...

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I don’t get your case here, using it on TDA preemptively stops them from doing so with other guys beyond next year? That’s only a problem if the trades aren’t worth it. There’s expiring contracts next year currently on the roster that we can use them on, not to mention any player we still may acquire.

Saving a RS slot for a different trade (i.e, brokering a player like what LA just did with Provorov) means that a RS slot could possibly be tied up for multiple years.

Using one on DeAngelo's short term contract right now gives us the benefit of saving money this year (And also next year if you'd favor the buyout method) without tying Briere's hands for multiple seasons by using one of his retention slots in a theoretical brokering trade. In the meantime this season, we can still use the saved cap space to take on a bad contract without us having to be the one retaining.

Who are the expiring contracts next year currently on the roster that a retention slot could be used for? Tippett? Allison?

For who? Beyond Hayes and TDA who else do we NEED to retain on?

That goes with my point. There is not a clear NEED for any retainments this season currently on our roster after those two. Perhaps an opportunity does come along where we could broker via retainment, but there also a chance where we can broker via cap space (Which is why saving cap space through retaining on TDA is a good thing)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
You don't have to retain on every deal, most deals are driven by taking bad contracts, Hayes and TDA are just grossly overpaid.
The other players the Flyers might move are not.

If a contract is reasonable, teams often just want to clear out cap room for a year or two b/c they don't mind slotting a market level contract, they just don't want to have to make room for a bloated contract. While you can shuffle out a bad contract for short-term relief, it can be difficult to match contracts and term.
This doesn’t answer literally any issue brought up. ‘You don’t have to retain on every deal,’ no shit, you can only do 3 no matter what.

‘You shouldn’t have to on players X, Y, and Z,’ it doesn’t matter, I want to be able to on whoever I think I have to. Retaining half on Carter Hart makes him valuable asset. Reasonable contracts don’t matter at the deadline, cap flexibility does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad