Prospect Info: Toni Rajala

The Perfect Human*

You will see lots next year, pounding our team, when we change divisions. LA, SJ, Anaheim, Van....won't be pretty unless we get a few.

This is the reason I have some semblance of hope for Kessy - that he can perhaps add that Jordan Nolan/Dwight King type of presence to our bottom-6....one day...

When you look at the career trajectories of those players, they were both ~point/game at age 20/21 in the CHL, both spent about 2 years in the AHL, before establishing themselves as 4th liners in the NHL.

I don't see him as good as either to be honest, at least from an offensive perspective. But when you look at skating I think he has potential to find a middle-point between the 2, as Nolan is pretty poor in that regard. Those two also do little-to-nothing offensively, so as long as he has better hands than JF Jacques (which he honestly does), he should be okay there.

Again, he's FAAAAR away from that point right now. Just like Rieder is from being an effective 3rd liner. Maybe not for the new division, but definitely useful in the EC in some role.

Before that happens he needs to improve his speed.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Conarcher was dealt for Bishop. Let Rajala develop in the AHL next year (hopefully keeps up PPG) and deal him when you can get the most for him.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Bugs me how Lowetide pronounces his name Rah-haw-lah. I always thought it was pronounced Rah-yala.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
This is the reason I have some semblance of hope for Kessy - that he can perhaps add that Jordan Nolan/Dwight King type of presence to our bottom-6....one day...

When you look at the career trajectories of those players, they were both ~point/game at age 20/21 in the CHL, both spent about 2 years in the AHL, before establishing themselves as 4th liners in the NHL.

I don't see him as good as either to be honest, at least from an offensive perspective. But when you look at skating I think he has potential to find a middle-point between the 2, as Nolan is pretty poor in that regard. Those two also do little-to-nothing offensively, so as long as he has better hands than JF Jacques (which he honestly does), he should be okay there.

Again, he's FAAAAR away from that point right now. Just like Rieder is from being an effective 3rd liner. Maybe not for the new division, but definitely useful in the EC in some role.

Before that happens he needs to improve his speed.
Well, from the sounds of it, Rieder did not want to sign so at least we get a potential guy back that has size and hopefully some skill. Better than losing a guy and getting nothing, but yeah, he is raw. Likely a couple years away.

The real upgrades will hopefully come via trade or free agency ( established players). We need some grit to play all these big teams in our new division. The nice thing is that I think lots of guys will be available due to the cap going down. Hopefully MacT capitalizes on this unique situation.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Amen brother. I don't know why this is coming back... we tried the "WE NEED SIZE EVEN IF THEY CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE" route and look what happened. We wouldnt draft anyone under 6 feet and look what happened, we ended up with Pouliot over Parise. Size doesnt mean anything on its own. I swear if we can draft Lindholm and pass because of size I will LOSE MY SH**!! No more coke machines!!

This.

Also we got Chad Kruegar, Josh Green, Ethan Moreau etc at the time ontop of that cause they were big...but couldn't do jack. Parise still burns me up inside so much...i remember watching that draft and thinking, you kidding me?

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
This.

Also we got Chad Kruegar, Josh Green, Ethan Moreau etc at the time ontop of that cause they were big...but couldn't do jack. Parise still burns me up inside so much...i remember watching that draft and thinking, you kidding me?

But Pouliot was bigger!!! C'mon!

Funny thread.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Crazy thought... but hear me out. Why don't we just let the kid come to camp next year and see what he can do, and not compare him to other players his size, because he is not the same player.

far enough. but i aint getting my hopes up. i've seen too many of these Nillsons, Intranuvos, Reisens and Ninamakis to overcome my bias, prejudice and all round disdain for danglers. Until I see a smallishm, little known Oiler prospect forward actually turn into Datsiuk, or even Cliff Ronning, i won't be getting the least bit excited about this year's version Robbie Schremp.

Sorry, but I'm 10 times bitten, finally shy.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This.

Chad Kruegar?!?!? Holy Hanna!! talk about a talented dude.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
far enough. but i aint getting my hopes up. i've seen too many of these Nillsons, Intranuvos, Reisens and Ninamakis to overcome my bias, prejudice and all round disdain for danglers. Until I see a smallishm, little known Oiler prospect forward actually turn into Datsiuk, or even Cliff Ronning, i won't be getting the least bit excited about this year's version Robbie Schremp.

Sorry, but I'm 10 times bitten, finally shy.

If a little mans got game....he's got game. But if a team is all tiny dancers, than the stage collapses.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
This.

Kilger....

Never utter that other name please.

Mr McV

Oct 9, 2008
Penticton
This.

You should just let it go. He would still be in Minnesota now.:)

jmoss45

Dec 31, 2009
EDM
Certainly a combination of bringing in bigger players and getting rid of the odd small one could open up a spot for him.

I could really see him in kind of a Havlat on the Blackhawks mould.. he's great with the puck and will add scoring to any line. He would be a good fit on the 3rd line for that reason, as he can play with bigger guys there who are defensively responsible and will drive the net.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's a keeper! I would like 3 scoring lines in the future.

That will only be successful if we can have some size and grit scattered in the top 9 as well. A guy like Bickell would be a big help as would a guy like Horton.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I value him more as a trading chip. If he goes near ppg in AHL next season he could be a fairly valuable for teams looking to inject skill in their line up.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
We did good while Rieders value was high, Rajala's value will only continue to rise next season, let him play under 5-10 NHL games and use him as bait in the east!

I remember this time last year everyone gave up on him, actually I don't recall anyone being sold on him over the last few years. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad