Contract Termination: Tomas Plekanec

Jul 6, 2016
A lot of them, yes, they did.

Markov was offered a contract and turned it down. Koivu left as a free agent and it was a shame. Patrick Roy demanded a trade. Chelios was moved for off-ice issues that concerned then team President Ronald Corey. It was clearly a mistake.

Larry Robinson was clearly on the downside of his career and had no intention of leaving Montreal but was offered a 3-year contract by Los Angeles for a (then) whopping sum of $400,000 a season. GM Serge Savard wasn't going to match that offer and wished him well. Robinson has subsequently described it as the biggest regret of his career. Both Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard were allowed to leave to extend their careers and make some more money after the Canadiens were ready to move past them. Lapointe was traded for future considerations and was able to tack two more seasons onto his career while Savard announced his retirement but was persuaded to come out of retirement and join the Winnipeg Jets as a veteran leader when their then-GM John Ferguson - a former teammate of Savard's in Montreal - talked him into it. Two years later he retired again and moved directly into the Canadiens front office. Lafleur absolutely did not get paid respect as the organization refused to trade him because Savard, very early into his General Manger career (correctly) felt he would be tarred and feathered by the fanbase if he dealt Lafleur. Much like Savard, Boom Boom Geoffrion retired from the Canadiens and spent two years coaching before he returned to the NHL with the Rangers for two more seasons then later coached the Canadiens. Doug Harvey's trade out of Montreal was because of his role in the players union.

Other guys, like Steve Shutt, were traded away so they could extend their careers and then re-acquired by the organization so they could "retire" as Montreal Canadiens. The organization has a long history of treating their stars and long time veterans very well (Lafleur definitely being an exception), this is just another chapter in that legacy.

The situation with Patrick Roy could had been handled better IF Ronald Corey would have had the balls to wait a bit while Roy and Tremblay cool off their jets. Of course, not hiring Houle-Tremblay to replace Savard-Demers would had been a better solution. Markov decided to represent himself in the negotiations. There was clearly miscommunications problems between him and Bergevin. Rocket Richard did not have the sweetest relationship with the owners-mangement for years after his retirement. Same with Lafleur.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
All I will remember him for is "playing like a little girl" when it counted. At least he had an accurate view of himself. :laugh:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Contract was there, Markov thought he was worth more.
Can you give a link to news where Bergevin offered a contract to Markov? I can't find one.

Markov thought he would receive one for sure, but didn't as far as I can see. Much like Radulov (until saying f*** off to Bergy).

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Can you give a link to news where Bergevin offered a contract to Markov? I can't find one.

Markov thought he would receive one for sure, but didn't as far as I can see. Much like Radulov (until saying **** off to Bergy).

I’m going to be honest with you,” added Markov. “There was practically no negotiations with Montreal. I got two or three offers from them and they said, ‘Either you sign or you don’t sign

Reactions: crowi and BabyPanda

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Bergevin has made many mistakes (no surprise here) regarding his bottom-six lines. Signing Plekanec and Peca were useless signings. Putting De Larose on waivers and losing him for nothing was another one.
De La Rose wasn't working out here. It sucked to lose him, but Plek regressed faster than expected, and JDLR was our worst forward when Plek was in the line-up and there were many complaints when he was with us. It seems as soon as a player leaves, everyone forgets what they complained about them for

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
De La Rose wasn't working out here. It sucked to lose him, but Plek regressed faster than expected, and JDLR was our worst forward when Plek was in the line-up and there were many complaints when he was with us. It seems as soon as a player leaves, everyone forgets what they complained about them for

Yep. He was a defensive player who was a black hole offensively without actually being that good defensively.

Zusammenhalt

Dump & chase-not a fan of
Jan 18, 2007
Depot Division
Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This is what Plekanec agreed to to get his 1000 games.

Canadiens agree to terms with Tomas Plekanec

Markov should have had an agent. Can he still come back and get his 10 games or whatever it is in or is it way to late?

He signed 2 years in Russia. He would have to wait for the contract to expire before he comes back, so next year at the earliest. Thing is though, he's turning 40 in a month and isn't the same player as he was when he left, watching him last year I could tell he slowed and I've only seen him a couple times this year but he seems to have lost another step. His moment has passed.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Was he that bad??

Not really. Strangely enough, Montreal didn't have the room at center.

Domi has been amazing at center, Danault is better and a decade younger, Kotkaniemi has been great and the org. has committed to Peca as a 4th liner for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad