Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I wouldn't mind seeing him sent down, but I'm not worried about him in the long run. I honestly think a big part of the problem is that Babcock sees a big body and wets his pants with excitement. He wants Jurco to be a power forward. And Jurco hasn't really disappointed in that respect - he's 2nd on the team in hits behind Abdelkader - but I just don't think that's the type of player he's meant to be. Yet by the same token, Jurco desperately wants to stay in the NHL, so he's making every effort to please the coach. Unfortunately, its taken its toll on his puck-handling. He's not thinking about making fancy plays anymore - he's thinking about crashing the net and making the check.....I'm not a huge fan of it. I'd much rather Jurco soften up a bit and find the scoreboard than try to do his best Abdelkader from 2010 impression.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is 21 years old... 99% of our prospects can't make the team at 21.

Be patient peeps.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For those ragging on Jurco, he is doing "just fine" as an underwhelming 3rd liner.

For those praising how good he will be one day...

Nyquist was a PPG player in the AHL
1.)Tatar was a PPG player in the AHL
2.)Jurco was not.

It is very likely that we have brought up Jurco too quickly!?

What a Villian i am, suggesting he needs more time in the AHL.. But there it is!

1.) No Tatar never was
2.) Yes Jurco was, 32 in 32 last year.

Jurco does need more time, he is fighting the puck and his confidence seems to be gone. I like how he plays the body and the progress he has made defensively, but he can work on that while getting sharper in the offensive zone. I would send him down for a spell right now, he can come back later in the year.

I am disappointed with the start of his year, but the idea he isn't dripping with skill and huge potential just isn't true. Kid has wonderful tools and the frame to match, he needs some time to figure it out is all. He is pretty young still, this is why the idea of promoting everyone right away is not always accurate. It doesn't make you a villain. Very few guys except for Smith and Nyquist really should have arrived before they did. Even Tatar got significantly better in the season people thought he was ready and he really wasn't. The AHL isn't a death sentence or a waste of time, those guys are terrific hockey players, it is in my opinion the third best league in the world ahead of Sweden and Finland. It is also closer to the KHL than the KHL is to the NHL in my opinion.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
The people saying he should be sent down are the same people who hate when the Red Wings leave players in Grand Rapids too long.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The people saying he should be sent down are the same people who hate when the Red Wings leave players in Grand Rapids too long.

Blanket statements like this don't work. I am a big fan of the over-ripening policy. I thought Jurco had earned his way onto the team after last year and was solid enough to warrant it in the pre-season. He has not been now and should go down.

There will be some that certainly fit this, but not all.

Jurco needs to be sent down because of sub-par play and he has some things to work on. If he is sent down he also shouldn't be banished. There is a lot players can work on at the AHL level, it is a caliber of hockey many don't understand in terms of quality. The AHL is a terrific hockey league with a lot of talent night in and night out.

Send him down, hopefully he has it sorted out by the end of the month.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Yeah, a confidence boost, a nice spark to his production would really help get him going again I think.

I am not sure we have many options at the moment unless we give Pulkinnen another shot?

Brandel*

People have been saying he could use a confidence boost from scoring in GR. Do people think he looks like he's lacking confidence on the ice? serious question

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Honestly, I thought it was a real possibility that he'd start the year in GR. I think in terms of development, he's still right on track. Ahead of schedule, even.

Sending him back to work on a few things should be no big deal.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
People have been saying he could use a confidence boost from scoring in GR. Do people think he looks like he's lacking confidence on the ice? serious question

Yes, I think he is fighting the puck a lot. Still shows the off the puck compete level so that is good. I just think he could use the game slowing down for a little bit. He is forcing a lot of stuff right now that he doesn't need to.

I don't see the same guy that came up last year. Consistency is often the hardest and most underrated part of what it takes to be a solid professional athlete. I think Jurco is going to be a good one, but right now he has things to work on and probably would be best served by doing it at the AHL level. Get more ice time and a little more time and space to get back to his offensive fundamentals.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm fine with sending him down. I like the guy, but I think he could use some more confidence and playing top line minutes with someone like Pulkkinen or Mantha couldn't hurt him either. Problem is we lack serious middle 6 depth in the short term.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
???

I remember early this year Jurco said "I think I must have left my hands in the airport" or something similar
I'm talking about last year. Babcock made a comment to the media about how Jurco's flashy hands(they were talking about the YouTube videos) aren't going to help him much, and that he needs to play a heavy support game to stay in the NHL.

Hence the player we've got right now: he doesn't hold onto the puck long enough, overskates plays, and chips it when he should shoot. If anything, somebody needs to remind Jurco that he's an offensively-minded guy out there and that he should try MORE fancy stuff.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Hello guys first post here =) Couldn't watch the game (live in NY) and can't post on that topic, however I would like to weigh in and agree that Jurco could use some time back with the Griffs. In my opinion, that is not a bad thing at all. Should that happen I wish that those surrounding him, be it team mates or coaches, would explain that to him. Others before him have experienced this. This is his test.

In regard to his play, I will comment based on the very limited amount of times I have been able to watch the Wings due to the NHL center ice free preview. First thing I noticed is that it has been hard for him to handle the puck in a few manners such as accepting passes, handling the puck and carrying the puck through the zone. If sent to the AHL, assign him the task to try and improve on it. Secondly, as a branch from carrying the puck into the zone, comes the somewhat polar style of how he enters it. From what I have seen (again very limited and maybe even coincidental) he tries to stick handle his way (deke/dangle etc) his way past the D-men. In such a young season I don't mind this because I view this as Jurco thinking to himself, "what type of skills will give me and advantage". A very normal process of adaptation. However through this short sample size, it has not worked for him and obvious to say 90%+ of all other players in the NHL. Fancy stick work as a means to enter the zone often does not work and is limited to the sucess of very few players. Do I want Jurco to drop that aspect of his game completely? No, as I believe it would have a domino effect on other aspects of his game since it is something he personally takes pride in. However just like any other player, he needs to find a middle ground and know when to use it. Also I believe he needs to work on his balance with the puck a bit more because far too often has he been manhandled be it along the boards or entering the zone on the wing. He's simply quite easy to knock off the puck. There are a few players who are exceptionally well at being with the puck with very agressive pressure on them, Zetterberg/Datsyuk and Nyquist . Everyone has different skill sets, but if he can manage to work on this then it will be another dimension to his game that others must defend against. Lastly, try to be a bit more patient and allow himself to read the plays a bit better.

I do believe that Jurco does have skill, but just as many others have been saying, he's trying to find out how put it into a complete package to model his game.

I don't get to see the Wings all that much so my perception may be heavily uninformed, however this is what I think from what little I have been able to see. I am more than glad to hear the opinions of others as I'm always trying to learn more and get closer to my team as possible not only in fandom but in evaluation as well.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For those ragging on Jurco, he is doing "just fine" as an underwhelming 3rd liner.

For those praising how good he will be one day...

Nyquist was a PPG player in the AHL
Tatar was a PPG player in the AHL
Jurco was not.

It is very likely that we have brought up Jurco too quickly!?

What a Villian i am, suggesting he needs more time in the AHL.. But there it is!

Jurco has some physical attributes you can't teach in comparison to them, he also was a ppg last season before his callup even if he never drove the play down there quite like them. He's ready to play, but is slumping badly. You could send him down for that reason but I would wait another 5-10 games considering our options are Nestrasil and Cleary right now.

Jurco has this odd way of looking unprepared whenever the puck gets to him. He needs to get on top of things.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Jurco is a victim of Babcock, plain and simple. He was much more impressive in his first few call-ups (i.e. his first few games with the Wings) than he is now, mainly because he was trying the fancy stuff, and was succeeding to a certain extent. Now he's turning into David Clarkson because of Babcock, and it's not good. I honestly think Babcock has run his course with the Wings. Blashill should be a fresh start next year, and kids like Jurco should flourish under him.

andresdrw

It's The System
Feb 18, 2008
21 years old.

Still, I'd like to see him in GR the rest of the year for more ice time/confidence.

Oct 18, 2006
I agree with a lot of the posts here, I think he's desperately tried to become a "heavy" guy in order to impress Babs and stay in the lineup. He's definitely bulked up noticeably, he must have put in a lot of work in the gym in the off-season, but as a result he looks sluggish with the puck. In his first stint with the Wings he was flashing tons of skill, legitimate top 6 skill with flashy hands and moves, he attempted some awfully tricky stuff.

So far this season he hasn't even attempted any of it. He looks to be playing incredibly safe. Even if he did go for fancy stuff with the current state of his hands (and confidence) I doubt he'd pull them off, but I can't help but feel Babs had momentarily messed with his mindset a bit, about becoming a "heavy" hard hitting power forward as opposed to a flashy, skillful top 6 winger.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Didn't he draw Babcock's ire last season when he attempted a dipsy-doodle move in a shoot-out that didn't come off?

Anyway, the kid is only 21. So he's off to a slow start? Its a looooong old season, different players are in different form at different points of the season.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
People tend to forget he hasn't played a full season yet, he's only played 47 games. It would be stupid to want him traded now or think that he has peaked / can't besome a better player at 21.

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
The most important thing is for the wings to win hockey games. If Jurco is sent down, who would be better to fill his role? Nestrasil? Cleary? Come on. Jurco is probably the best option (in his role) for the wings to win. Thats why he is up with the big club. I think he looks fine, just hasn't found the net yet. I do agree with those who say his game looks a little defensive or conservative and that he really is too talented to only play like that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The most important thing is for the wings to win hockey games. If Jurco is sent down, who would be better to fill his role? Nestrasil? Cleary? Come on. Jurco is probably the best option (in his role) for the wings to win. Thats why he is up with the big club. I think he looks fine, just hasn't found the net yet. I do agree with those who say his game looks a little defensive or conservative and that he really is too talented to only play like that.

Yup, I think this is true. Babcock wants the best players available on the team. Jurco is one of the best 12 guys we have, and the replacement options are not great.

These young guys go through slumps, a lot of time they can work through it themselves. Nyquist was in a slump last year, then just went on a tear. Without needing to be sent down. Tatar has gone through lulls too, and works through them. He may be OK just working through it with the big club. I wouldn't be against him going down necessarily, but I don't like any options got replacing him.

We will see. I'm not seeing a ton of flash on display, but its not like his hands disappeared. Blew a gimme scoring chance last night, think he's just gripping his stick a little tight. He can certainly be better, think he will pick it up as the year goes on.

Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I had the same thoughts with regards to Jurco as I did with Nyquist and Tatar when they first had their extended callups.

They were touted as having great skill, but it wasn't much on display. They played simpler games and they were fighting the puck a lot. I think/hope Jurco is just going through the same thing right now. Young player, not sure of his spot on the team, being told by the coach to play a simpler game. So he adjusts. That's fine with me. Everyone has to earn their leeway with fancy crap. Jurco hasn't yet and his spot on the team is more tenuous than anyone else's.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yes, Jurco is a skilled player. Extremely skilled and talented....

youtube his name if you disagree and try some of his tricks...

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
If I'm not mistaken, Jim Nill when still with the Red Wings, said Tomas Jurco was as skilled as any player in the draft that year. I'm not sure about that. I like him as a pro and I think he'll be a good Red Wing but where's the skill. I don't see the finish I was hoping for given the Wings need goals. In fact Sheahan shows more skill and hands than Jurco does. I like Nestrasil so far because he shows the skill I expected from Jurco to go with that big body. Protects the puck really well and has hands to go with it. Jurco had a good start last year, but I don't see the skill that will allow him to be a 30 goal man in the big leagues. Thoughts?

i came here from the habs board to tell you your wrong

jurco will atleast be a great 2nd liner, 1st liner on most teams

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Agreed, I'd like to see him use his skills a little bit more. Of course he has to be cautious, and can't just try to dangle every shift, but he needs to take a few more offensive risks to start producing. I'm not too worried about Jurco. He is still young, and if he only ends up with 20-30 points this year, then so be it. You can see the skills are there, and once he puts it all together I see no reason to believe he won't max out as at least a 20 goal, 50 point solid top 6 winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad