Tomas Jurco (Re-signed to two year deal, post #301)

Octopus

May 17, 2006
If I'm not mistaken, Jim Nill when still with the Red Wings, said Tomas Jurco was as skilled as any player in the draft that year. I'm not sure about that. I like him as a pro and I think he'll be a good Red Wing but where's the skill. I don't see the finish I was hoping for given the Wings need goals. In fact Sheahan shows more skill and hands than Jurco does. I like Nestrasil so far because he shows the skill I expected from Jurco to go with that big body. Protects the puck really well and has hands to go with it. Jurco had a good start last year, but I don't see the skill that will allow him to be a 30 goal man in the big leagues. Thoughts?

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If I'm not mistaken, Jim Nill when still with the Red Wings, said Tomas Jurco was as skilled as any player in the draft that year. I'm not sure about that. I like him as a pro and I think he'll be a good Red Wing but where's the skill. I don't see the finish I was hoping for given the Wings need goals. In fact Sheahan shows more skill and hands than Jurco does. I like Nestrasil so far because he shows the skill I expected from Jurco to go with that big body. Protects the puck really well and has hands to go with it. Jurco had a good start last year, but I don't see the skill that will allow him to be a 30 goal man in the big leagues. Thoughts?

What were your expectations for him this season? I had him pegged at 30-40 points. The skill is certainly there. He just needs time.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
If any prospect disappoints I think it'll be him. Not that he won't be productive but I'm not sure he'll live up to the hype.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
If you don't think he's super-skilled, you have some YouTube videos to watch. He has unreal hands, and for whatever reason, Babcock has told him to knock that stuff off.

It takes a special hockey IQ to translate that type of skill to the NHL, though. Datsyuk, Forsberg, etc. It might be tough for Jurco to put it all together at this level so the potential to disappoint is there. I don't think he'll be a 30 goal guy, but he does so much right he will always have a spot on an NHL roster.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

Stopped reading there, sorry. What skill has Nestrasil shown? He's a big body who plays "safe" so Babcock gives him too much ice time and undeserved PP time.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Stopped reading there, sorry. What skill has Nestrasil shown? He's a big body who plays "safe" so Babcock gives him too much ice time and undeserved PP time.

Nestrasil gets a lot of unfair love in general IMO. He's solid, but pretty unspectacular. The bias towards the new guys always exists. Andersson had a lot of the same praise and is often written off around here now, despite being pretty much the same player with different linemates.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
He is. He's got all the tools. The toolbox, however, is still in progress, which is fine for him right now.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Were'nt some out there comparing Jurco to Hossa, I don't see it Jurco will never be the scorer that Hossa is I don't see Jurco scoring 40 or 50 goals in one year period.

Yeah. Well, to be fair, the line was "Hossa-type skills" from what I remember. But that's why scouts "hate" to name comparisons. They have to give a line to the media, perhaps to help generate excitement but then a couple years later you deal with the disappointment because people run with that sort of comparison.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If you don't think he's super-skilled, you have some YouTube videos to watch. He has unreal hands, and for whatever reason, Babcock has told him to knock that stuff off.
A lot of hockey players, in general, can do what he does on youtube when its on asphalt. It's a little different to translate that to the ice. He should be using his size and speed to drive the net and then use his hands.

J-Swift

Jan 5, 2006
Denying Jurco's skill is absurd. But he constantly looks off-balance and not ready to receive passes.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
For those ragging on Jurco, he is doing "just fine" as an underwhelming 3rd liner.

For those praising how good he will be one day...

Nyquist was a PPG player in the AHL
Tatar was a PPG player in the AHL
Jurco was not.

It is very likely that we have brought up Jurco too quickly!?

What a Villian i am, suggesting he needs more time in the AHL.. But there it is!

Brandel*

???

I remember early this year Jurco said "I think I must have left my hands in the airport" or something similar.

For those ragging on Jurco, he is doing "just fine" as an underwhelming 3rd liner.

Jurco was not.

What a Villian i am, suggesting he needs more time in the AHL.. But there it is!

32 pts in 32 games 2013-2014

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jurco is playing against other very skilled players and is not going to look as good his first full year.

Can't be surprised to see growing pains.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I think we're just spoiled from overripe prospects, just not used to having our kids have these growing pains. Maybe we should let him rot in GR with Mantha for 2 years? :sarcasm:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Call for management's heads if they don't bring up a young prospect to the NHL, call prospect a bust if he doesn't impress right from the start.

Jurco is very skilled, but he's also very young and inexperienced. He had a nice run last season but it's a different thing to be an NHLer from Game 1. He's handling the puck like a grenade, but at the same you can see the good hands he's got because he's managing to control a lot of difficult passes and he's been doing a lot of good stickwork. Defensively I'd say he's come a long way from where he was when he first came up.

Best thing for him, Detroit and Grand Rapids would probably be to send him down. Let him get a few months in GR. Develop his scoring touch, build confidence. I still see him as one of our kids with the highest ceiling and I don't think he has been bad this season. But it's not a coincidence that bringing along our prospects slowly has been succesful and Jurco, coming up quickly, is struggling a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado

Jurco was not.

Tatar was never a PPG player in the AHL. even when he was the Calder Cup MVP in the playoffs he wasn't even PPG. Jurco was PPG last season up until he was called up to the NHL, which is a better pace than Tatar ever managed.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I'm pretty sure Babcock didn't tell Jurco to stop scoring or be a skilled player.

not in those words but I definitely remember reading something along those lines too

something along the lines of derisive sounding quotes about Babcock not wanting Jurco to do "fancy stuff"

Jurco was not.

if you're a "villian" for that post it's because you're flat out making things up

look I can do it too!

Nyquist needs more time in the AHL he never even hit 10 points down there,he needs to get a bit more seasoned so he can hit 3 points per game like Emmerton did

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Yeah. Well, to be fair, the line was "Hossa-type skills" from what I remember. But that's why scouts "hate" to name comparisons. They have to give a line to the media, perhaps to help generate excitement but then a couple years later you deal with the disappointment because people run with that sort of comparison.

Yeah you're right it was Hossa type skills the scouts were saying.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Really think Jurco would benefit from some more time in GR. He now knows what he needs to work on. When a skilled guy goes a long time without scoring he probably starts to doubt himself. Go down and score a few goals and get that swagger back. He looks tight right now and if you hadn't seen him much before I can see where people would think he's not a skill player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad