Confirmed with Link: Tomas Hyka to Vegas

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Doubt he ever makes the big show. Seems the big club doesn't have the highest hopes either giving him only one year on the ELC. Seems like a trial period to see if he can show some upside.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Doubt he ever makes the big show. Seems the big club doesn't have the highest hopes either giving him only one year on the ELC. Seems like a trial period to see if he can show some upside.

Length of ELC are based entirely on age of signing player. 18-21 must sign 3 year, 22 and 23 must sign 2 year and 24 year olds can only sign a 1 year ELC.

If he had waited one year he would have been an UFA and would not have been signing an ELC.

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
Congrats on your second signing guys!

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej...yka-oblekne-dres-novacka-nhl-z-las-vegas.html

Probably won't be anything more than a bottom 6 scoring forward (if he makes the NHL at all), but for a free guy you could do a lot worse.

I agree but with a cavitate.

I think that he is young, (24) fast, and has excellent hands. This is something that could be huge at the NHL level when playing with better talent (he had 17 goals and 38 points in 48 games last season in the Check ((Sp check keeps changing this but I don't think it's the correct spelling so I am sorry for that I mean no offence)) league).

I think it is one of those classic WAY low risk, potentially high reward signings. A move you make if you're an expansion team and willing to give him a shot to see what he can do. He may not be better then a bottom 6 or Top AHL option, but with the Knights unique situation, it gives them a chance to really look at him in preseason and camps if they want and if they think that his speed and skill can be a big enough bonus to negate his size. If he is one fo those guys just has his head up and just flat out doesn't get hit much. (we have a few of those guys in the league who everyone wants to crush but they just can't seem to line them up ever). Then he could potentially turn into a nice top 6 wing option down the line.

Anyways we are partnered with HFboards and actually have an article that discusses some of his strengths and thoughts on him if you would like to check it out you can here as well.

Who do you think the Knights go after via trade or moves as we close in on the expansion draft coming up? I am excited to see how Mcphee continues to shape this team and organization I think that he has shown he is going to be able to make some nice moves and honestly I would not be surprised with the new expansion rules if this Vegas Knights team is very competitive season 1 if not a playoff team then one that is not always just an easy out and 2 points for the opposition. Will be fun to see how this team shapes up and what they look like when they start to build the foundation of the organization moving forward. I am really happy with the Center that they picked up earlier on and signed. He is a great playmaker and I think will again do much better with NHL level players even though he is already a proven playmaker at the pro level.

Thanks, looking forward to your thoughts everyone! So stoked for Vegas and who they have in charge right now. Doing some great things and it's looking like it should be an exciting first year in franchise history!

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Of the 3 are you most excited about Shipachyov? or do you think that Duke has some pretty high potential?

I from what I've read of these three Shipachyov is the most interesting and will probably have the most impact right off the bat. Depending on who's chosen in the expansion draft Hyka seems like a depth player type. I like the Duke signing simply because of the name. His nickname will hopefully be Raoul (After the Fear and Loathing character). Duke will probably wind up in Chicago for a while.

Last edited:

patricafdw

Mar 21, 2017
Göteborg
Of the 3 are you most excited about Shipachyov? or do you think that Duke has some pretty high potential?

Of course. We don't even know if any of the other two will ever see time on the ice for the Knights. They are low risk-high reward gambles that will act as depth players if they don't make it on the big scene. Entry-level contracts means an almost no lose situation, especially for Hyka who is only on for 1 year initially. Duke will have 3 years to develop into an NHL player.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Hyka is weak on the boards, and doesn't have the anticipation to go with his speed/skill. I personally don't expect anything from him and don't think he's a fit for the NHL, let alone this conference or the style of hockey I expect the VGK to play; they will not have enough skill on their top lines to play a wide open style, it's going to be defense and aggressive forechecking as they build the roster over the first couple years.

Not trying to be a debbie downer here or anything, but it is what it is: Ship is the sole quality addition thus far.

frogman210

https://puck-planet.com/
Feb 10, 2009
USA
Hyka is weak on the boards, and doesn't have the anticipation to go with his speed/skill. I personally don't expect anything from him and don't think he's a fit for the NHL, let alone this conference or the style of hockey I expect the VGK to play; they will not have enough skill on their top lines to play a wide open style, it's going to be defense and aggressive forechecking as they build the roster over the first couple years.

Not trying to be a debbie downer here or anything, but it is what it is: Ship is the sole quality addition thus far.

Not sounding like a debbie downer by any means. You are keeping excpectations realistic and that is good. I did not realize that he lacked the anticipation that is a key factor in if he will find the success he is after in the NHL or not. If i had known that was one of his weaker areas I would have probably reigned in my thoughts a bit more on him as well. Thanks for the info I appreciate it. I think that your evaluation and thoughts on style of play etc. is probably pretty right on. Thank you!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
He loves sand and will get plenty of it! But is there some in his game? Or will he be poolside instead of dressed?

6852268731_567da01885_b.jpg

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Shipachyov is a sure-fire NHLer. No doubt. Any of the 31 teams would have been thrilled to sign him. I'm hoping Vegas can sign a few more of these high end Russian guys to fill out their forwards crop.

Hyka and especially Duke will probably never have much if any of an NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad