Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
The women's basketball elite 8 gets 100 times the coverage of the mens hockey final 4. And that doesn't point badly at the women's basketball but more a comment that I hardly see any coverage of this hockey championship.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The women's basketball elite 8 gets 100 times the coverage of the mens hockey final 4. And that doesn't point badly at the women's basketball but more a comment that I hardly see any coverage of this hockey championship.

Hockey is Not a head count sport sport

Head count sports rule supreme in NcaA athletics

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What's the money line on the NCAA frozen four? Does Wilander and BU have a realistic shot?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
What's the money line on the NCAA frozen four? Does Wilander and BU have a realistic shot?

BC are the overwhelming favorites but BU edge out Michigan for #2. Denver is gonna be a tough matchup for BU though

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
What is a "head count sport"?

it means full ride scholarships for entire team, and they are monitored. 85 scholarships, 85 players

It’s what 98% of the NCAA’s resources go into monitoring

Basketball, football for men
Volleyball, gymnastics, basketball for women

Hockey is an equivalency sport, with 16 scholarships that they spread out over the 28 man roster.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
it means full ride scholarships for entire team, and they are monitored. 85 scholarships, 85 players

Hockey is an equivalency sport, with 16 scholarships that they spread out over the 28 man roster.
I learnt something today. :thumbu:

Reactions: Breakers

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Why does that matter in the context of sports popularity? I don’t understand NCAA

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I completely agree with you that his handling in Vancouver was botched. In addition to the ways you mentioned, I thought he was better than players higher than him on the depth chart. In view of the reports (which I never saw attributed to anyone nor confirmed) of Lidster pushing him to play like Pronger, I wondered if they were witholding playing time trying to get him to change his playing style more quickly than he was comfortable with.

On the other hand, he didn't star in the KHL which brings into question whether he'd have reached expectations in North America.

When Tryamkin's signing to return to the KHL was announced the thing he was first quoted as complaining about was his playing time. Vancouver Canucks lose Nikita Tryamkin to KHL in sudden, stunning blow to promising defence

About a week after Tryamkin signed with Avtomobilist, Green was promoted to the Canucks' head coaching job.

Tryamkin was a half assed player with no desire to be the best he could be. It's good he went running home when he did. He didn't have the heart or dedication to play in the NHL.

Sorry Vector ... as for Willander, pretty hyped to see how he evolves next year. Could really be a huge piece for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I learnt something today. :thumbu:
It is a different world Basketball and Football.
The money is not even in the same universe.

Michigan football probably makes more from a home game than the entire NcAA division 1 hockey does in a year.

NCAA only cares about monitoring those sports to make sure you got your money through NIl deals, illegal recruitment, transfer ports rules

Hockey is sooooooooo irrelevant in the NCAA

This was was a photo I got from from Deion sanders kid when I was out in Boulder
These are what these football and basketball players are living like in school now

Attachments

• IMG_9873.jpeg
    IMG_9873.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Wow
Reactions: Raistlin

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This was was a photo I got from from Deion sanders kid when I was out in Boulder
These are what these football and basketball players are living like in school now

you don't think deion sanders can afford to buy his kid a nice car?

(not that i don't think there's rampant corruption in div 1 football/basketball, but the son of an nfl legend probably isn't the best example)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

(not that i don't think there's rampant corruption in div 1 football/basketball, but the son of an nfl legend probably isn't the best example)
Carson Beck the starting QB for Georgia got a Lambo from a dealership (likely just leased to him) but that’s a sizeable 5 figures a month worth.

NIL for hockey players is going to be pretty minimal. Even the best ones like a Kariya if he was 18 now would be nothing compared to a QB at a big program like if they both went to Michigan, OSU, ND, for example.

Breakers

Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

shadeur made $5.7 million in NIL deals from google, topps, under armour, Gatorade, bang and olufsen

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
NCAA hockey is closer to what university/college sports are supposed to be all about. Players get full-ride scholarships to some good schools; and I guess the program earns a few bucks from tickets and concession sales. And I suppose they might get a little from TV revenues.

But at the other extreme is NCAA football, where head coaches make as much as $8m a season; and well heeled alumni running Fortune 500 companies, throw massive wads of money at the good old alma mater. The alumni associations also raise millions for the football program. And of course the NCAA television rights probably put even the NHL to shame.

"Amateur athletics" is certainly isn't. And it seems there's an 'under the table' recruiting scandal every single season. But nobody really questions the godzillian amount of dollars that major universities put into their football program. It's 'un-American' to question it, I guess.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
BU lost 2-1 in OT and eliminated from the Frozen Four tourny. Willander was a -2 and his season is officially over

Brutal giveaway by Hutson on the first tying goal:

Bad change leads to game winner

Reactions: Lindgren

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Both his minuses are not his fault, he just stepped on the ice, hustled back, lifted the guys stick and took the passing play away. Puck just right went through the goalie.

Next year he won't need to babysit a rover, let's see what he does as the man on D.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Wallinder went behind the net to give Hutson an outlet but Lane blindly let it go and it was picked off.
It's a bad, careless pass by Hutson, right? A Denver player has closed that lane and Hutson shouldn't be trying to pass the puck through him. So then, why did Willander drift into and stay in that lane, when it's been closed?

He didn't make himself a good passing target; he coasted backward away from his isolated teammate and lost the opportunity to help out in any potential puck possession battle; and he abandoned the most dangerous scoring area. That Hutson made a terrible pass doesn't change the fact that Willander made a bad decision to go where he did.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
It's a bad, careless pass by Hutson, right? A Denver player has closed that lane and Hutson shouldn't be trying to pass the puck through him. So then, why did Willander drift into and stay in that lane, when it's been closed?

He didn't make himself a good passing target; he coasted backward away from his isolated teammate and lost the opportunity to help out in any potential puck possession battle; and he abandoned the most dangerous scoring area. That Hutson made a terrible pass doesn't change the fact that Willander made a bad decision to go where he did.
Don't see it this way at all. The puck was coming around the boards. Hutson stops it, then tried a no-look pass that he partially whiffed on, and put it right on the guys' stick. Willander was expecting the puck to be thrown into the corner for him to chase down. It wasn't his check that got open for the goal, it was Hutson's. Hutson made the bad play, and didn't pick up a man.

As someone else said, it was a Myersesque giveaway, and nobody can prepare for that kind of stupidity.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
The only worse thing Hutson could have done in that position would have been to blindly put it in the slot himself. All he had to do was put a little air under it and off the boards towards Willander's corner. He put it right on the guys stick softly. Generally you can't play the game assuming your d partner is going to do the dumbest thing possible with the puck.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018

This is terrible analysis based on hindsight. Willander drifts behind the net because Hutson could move the puck immediately, but he instead delays by a second or so and then tries to force the original play anyway. Willander immediately spots the danger in front of the net and tries to recover, which he actually does a pretty good job of by forcing a lower percentage attempt than if the Denver player could have pulled the puck to the far post for an essentially empty net. Expecting players to be prescient at all times is ridiculous, and this kind of stuff happens to the best dmen in the world multiple times per game.

Second goal also wasn’t a bad change at all, just sloppy puck management from the forwards high in the o zone.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
It's definitely not on Willander as he was in the right spot to chase down the puck in the corner if Hutson moved it right away around to his side.

However, once that didn't happen, he should have gone straight to the front of the net instead of waiting behind the opposing player hoping that the pass would eventually get through.

Some blame also goes to that forward in the high slot that decided to inexplicably turn around and look towards the offensive zone when he saw his D-man was in the corner with the puck and his back turned about to get pinched. He should have instantly darted to cover the front of the net once he saw there was no other teammate there to do so.

1712926064108.png

How he ever thought the puck would eventually get to him if he headed towards the blueline at this point is simply baffling.

So the main culprit is Hutson for the bad turnover but a little structure and IQ from his teammates could have made it a nothing play.

Reactions: Blue and Green

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Agree that none of the goals were his fault. That said, lately his play has not been as good as it was at other points in the year. Maybe it's nerves or a minor injury, he's still being physical and skates well and doing fine but there hasn't the urgency and pace and sharpness that's needed at this time of year to really make a difference, and you would hope he can be a difference maker at this level. There are also some minor mistakes creeping into his game that are not a good look.

I'd thought earlier in the year if he continued developing rest of the year he could play in NHL after this year, but he would definitely benefit from another year at BU.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad