Tom Kuhnhackl?

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Penguins' started by BladeRunner66, May 23, 2018.

1. Hobodrifter

Hobodrifter Registered User

He seems a bit soft. Not saying I wanna see him hurt people, but if he isn't scoring, ever, than maybe put the body to the D on the other team, something tangible beside killing penalties.

2. Coach John McGuirk

Coach John McGuirk "Hi, I'm Kris Letang"ヽ(。_°)ノ

I work at a music studio
    I don't think Kuhn is good enough at any aspect of the game to justify a roster spot. We can and should do much better than Kuhn for our 4th line. Lots of talk is brought up about Sprong's inability to play a two-way game, and that keeps him out of a regular spot. The same should be true for Kuhn, but on the opposite end of the spectrum. He's nowhere near as good defensively or on the PK as he needs to be to make up for the complete blackhole of offensive pressure/production and transition game that he brings (and in turn adversely affects his line). He's a guy whose job is to get pelted with pucks. Sure, it keeps other guys from being pelted with pucks regularly, but is that worth sacrificing 1/3 of our 4th line and handicapping our depth at ES for? I don't think so.

Pens x, BladeRunner66 and EightyOne like this.
  3. Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney Pens' defense like

Kuhnhackl being so offensively inept is such a mystery to me. The guy had a legit scorers touch in junior, so while even if that didn't fully translate to the NHL level as a scorer because he lacked other attributes, you'd think he'd be the type who could still score in the 10 goal range with his shot (similar to what guys like Brett Connolly or a younger Eric Fehr could do).

4. Coach John McGuirk

Coach John McGuirk "Hi, I'm Kris Letang"ヽ(。_°)ノ

I work at a music studio
    Yeah, there was a time where he was thought of as a potential top-9 guy who could chip in some points while playing a two-way game. Didn't he have some kinda knee injury or something in junior that derailed his entire season? I think he was playing/producing well before that, maybe he just never got it all back together after that and adjusted his game to do what he had to do in order to make an NHL team. /shrug

Either way, I don't think he's good enough at anything to warrant a spot moving forward and he's woefully inept offensively and in transition. Just my two cents.

5. K Fleur

K Fleur If You Know You Know

When Kuhnackl first got called up in 15-16 I thought he played pretty well and looked like he’d end up as a real solid bottom player.

Nowadays he’s only slightly less useless than Carter Rowney.

6. Peat

Peat Registered User

Awful timeline where we're off the back of being repeat SC champions and have the longest play-off appearance streak in the NHL?

I mean, I know the last few months didn't go quite as planned, but it's still a pretty good timeline...

Trade likes this.
  7. EightyOne

EightyOne Registered User

He probably means the awful timeline we literally are in...where threads eschewing Kunitz's ability to be there, where Kuhnackl's are praised, Kessel's are traded, Sullivans are passing their Best By dates, titles of rooting for Vegas abound, where 100 pages a week of potentially stupid trades and idiotic lineups are posted all exist.

It is an awful timeline around here.

Surely the offseason BS would be less if the Pens weren't out. Right?

Pens x and BladeRunner66 like this.
  8. pixiesfanyo

pixiesfanyo Registered User

Home Page:
    If we resign him, I’ll be curious to see him without a Reaves type. His confidence is shot.

9. Peat

Peat Registered User

There was more Kessel trade talk last summer than this from what I remember. This place is always awful if you linger on the worst ideas.

EightyOne likes this.
  10. Trade

Trade Guentzel is ELITE

Yeah, yeaaaah I definitely agree. I was mostly being hyperbolic. But I just meant these past few weeks since we’ve gotten eliminated and watched Washington beat up a Tampa team who “neither Washington or Pitt would hve beaten.”

Peat likes this.
  11. The GM

The GM Registered User

I heard JR is putting together a monster 8 year offer for kuhn, wants to get him locked up as long as possible to keep sully happy. E4

BladeRunner66 and pixiesfanyo like this.
  12. BladeRunner66

BladeRunner66 Registered User

Hey! This isn't Halloween or April Fool's day man! :nono:

13. OGBobbyFarnham

OGBobbyFarnham Registered User

Personally feel the kids on Wilkes now should be given a shot at replacing him(Bleuger, Johnson, Militec. Olund, Angello, maybe DiPauli/Tiffels) + you can sign a vet for the AHL to compete for the spot.

Fine if he signs but if others beat him out of a spot, he better be #13/waived.

14. Coach Travis

Coach Travis Back2Back!!!

Hockey-preneur
    Home Page:
    I'd like to see GMJR let him walk. You take 13 forwards who are all capable of scoring goals and I guarantee you'll have no shortage of guys who can PK better than Kuhnhackl. It's not a "special skill".

TNT87 and BladeRunner66 like this.
  15. JimmyTwoTimes

JimmyTwoTimes Registered User

Hed be fine to keep around as a 13th forward. But he would be blocking someone else from getting their chance.

Could he improve in his 4th year? Become more physical? Hes too vanilla right now to block someone else from getting a chance.

16. Peat

Peat Registered User

His first two years, that was untrue - hell, he was on track for 10 goals in his first year.

Then it all went to crap this year.

It really shouldn't surprise anyone if he rebounded to a 10 goal 20 point pace next season, here or elsewhere. Not that we should deffo keep him because of that.

17. Pens x

Pens x Registered User

If Sullivan has any say then yes, he will be back.

Sit guys like Sprong for guys like Kuhnhackl.

18. BladeRunner66

BladeRunner66 Registered User

Yeah but wasn't Sprong somewhat held back because of his contract? Eligibility?

Based on this assumption i don't think they'll mind increasing his ice time with the big team.

This said, Kuhn should be replaced by a hungry rookie but i don't see Sprong playing on the 4th line.