Recalled/Assigned: Toffoli to Manchester

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
A free pass? He's 6th on the team in goals with much fewer games played. He's got more points than Dustin freaking Brown. He's had a bad stretch, no doubt, but Brown and Kopi do every year. You don't take skill out of the lineup when you have difficulty scoring, period.

Exactly. There had better be a trade coming. Attempts to justify this are a big stretch IMO.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Exactly. There had better be a trade coming. Attempts to justify this are a big stretch IMO.

C'mon guys. Dustin Brown is a man playing out there and Toffoli is a kid. Right now, Brown is twice the player Toffoli is, but Toffoli can and will improve in MCH.

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know what Toffoli has left to prove at the AHL level. But more to the point, at the NHL level, we have no better replacements for him.

The bottom six's production is probably not getting fixed any time soon, if they want to keep Vey stuck in Manch also.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know what Toffoli has left to prove at the AHL level. But more to the point, at the NHL level, we have no better replacements for him.

The bottom six's production is probably not getting fixed any time soon, if they want to keep Vey stuck in Manch also.

He can prove that he can win board battles in his own end.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

There are many reasons he could have been sent down.
One is being discussed heavily that a trade is being made. This is the one I really kind of hope.
It also could be that playing even for a weekend down in Manchester could raise his confidence. He's young and the whole team is snakebit right now. This one wouldn't be a bad thing also. And sounds crazy but even saving his salary for a week could help us in cap space. It's that tight.
Or it could be something that he has done or perceived to have done that is getting him sent down.
We really don't know and to be honest I don't think these are even all the cases just the probable big ones.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Am I the only one here that thinks this move has to do with giving Frattin a deserving shot at 3RW?

The guy's had good games, and I think he's getting the opportunity to showcase his skills.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
No doubt they are trading for a RW

The last time I checked the roster, the team needs LW depth--specifically "LW, shoots Left"--to the point I name-dropped Simon Gagné in another thread.

Really ironic how the sudden influx of LW's they had before the 2013-14 regular season became a need (Bordson and Gagné; they but fit under the "LW, shoots left" need).

Their RW depth is fine, if anything.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Toffoli starts off strong when he is first recalled, then quiets down. I am not all that surprised that he's been sent down. I think Frattin deserves a string of games on RW.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
No need to send him down for a trade. They have a little leeway after the trade to send him down. He wasn't sent down for a pending trade.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Am I the only one here that thinks this move has to do with giving Frattin a deserving shot at 3RW?

The guy's had good games, and I think he's getting the opportunity to showcase his skills.

And if Lewis starts the next game on 3rd line RW?

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
And if Lewis starts the next game on 3rd line RW?

lol.

I didn't think about that, but I suppose with Sutter, there's always the chance of that. In any case, assuming that Frattin will get a shot at 3RW, I like this move.

If Lewis starts at 3RW...well, I really don't know what to think to be honest. :laugh:

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
He can prove that he can win board battles in his own end.

Oh. Sure. Come back when you're a perfect grinder, TT. Not like the big club needs anything else.

With time you may even become Trevor Lewis, and get away with shooting 0.0%.

Unless there is a trade in the works, this team is conservative to a fault.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's also worth noting that the Kings are off until Thursday. They could just as easily call him right back up before their game against the Blues. Could be done for cap reasons.

This sounds right. How much do the Kings save per day on Toffoli?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh. Sure. Come back when you're a perfect grinder, TT. Not like the big club needs anything else.

With time you may even become Trevor Lewis, and get away with shooting 0.0%.

Unless there is a trade in the works, this team is conservative to a fault.

Not asking him to be a perfect grinder. More like Williams would be nice though. Williams gets his nose dirty much more than Toffoli. It's not like a kid always gets sent down because there are better players on the roster.

If there is something missing in his game it's better for him to go down to MCH and get it worked out. I'm sure Sutter and Lombardi gave Toffoli some very specific things to work on when the met with him. Developing players is what the AHL is all about.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Toffoli will obviously be back, but he shouldn't be needing to come back, he is still on a 20-goal pace (over a full season)

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
I thought he had one of his better games last night. Made a couple of really nice plays with the puck but his teammates just can't finish.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If this is not to open up a roster spot or make room for some trade, I'm really beginning to lose faith in the ability of management to properly develop our forward prospects.

Asheru

Jun 28, 2011
Not asking him to be a perfect grinder. More like Williams would be nice though. Williams gets his nose dirty much more than Toffoli. It's not like a kid always gets sent down because there are better players on the roster.

If there is something missing in his game it's better for him to go down to MCH and get it worked out. I'm sure Sutter and Lombardi gave Toffoli some very specific things to work on when the met with him. Developing players is what the AHL is all about.

Well, I disagree on two counts.

One, his game is not missing anything major enough to warrant this. His scoring cooled off a little, but scoring is always prone to be streaky. He's still getting shots and chances. Scoring was bound to turn around.

Two, they should care if they have someone to replace him! The West is tight.

The team is worse off without him. It's maddening to watch St. Louis and Chicago make use of their skilled young players when we could do the same. We need scoring depth. This is ridiculous.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, I disagree on two counts.

One, his game is not missing anything major enough to warrant this. His scoring cooled off a little, but scoring is always prone to be streaky. He's still getting shots and chances. Scoring was bound to turn around.

Two, they should care if they have someone to replace him! The West is tight.

The team is worse off without him. It's maddening to watch St. Louis and Chicago make use of their skilled young players when we could do the same. We need scoring depth. This is ridiculous.

His scoring has been frozen lately, and he isn't playing well at all in his own end. Why do you think Sutter shortened the bench last night? He didn't want Toffoli or Pearson blowing it in the Kings' zone in the 3rd period. They have someone to replace him it will either be Frattin or a player coming in a trade.

I too wish Toffoli was playing like Jaden Schwartz or Brandon Saad, but he isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad