Recalled/Assigned: Toffoli to Manchester

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Toffoli also isn't given nearly the opportunity to succeed as Schwartz and Saad have been given. Saad played nearly his entire rookie year on a line with Toews.

The Lombardi apologists can spin this whatever way they like. It's not like Toffoli is out there cruising or not back checking or regularly blowing defensive coverage. In fact it's the exact opposite.

This reeks of typical Lombardi overthinking. He has yet to develop a talented offensive forward. King is the closest thing to it and he's not exactly blowing the doors open this season. Every single impact forward this team has was acquired through trade or was here when Dean took the wheel.

Again, I am unsure whether drafting and developing a top six forward is within Lombardi's abilities as a general manager. The way guys like Clifford, Lewis, and now Toffoli have been handled isn't reassuring.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Send him down. It will help him refocus

images

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
More AHL play never hurt anyone.

Unless he gets hurt while there! God Forbid! The only positive I see is that he gets to play against AHL talent and regain his scoring touch, but what if he doesn't? Will his confidence crash and burn? Forever?

I'd like to think this is because a trade is imminent. Cammy or Moulson is what I hear. Isn't this bad asset management, though? Cuz we had them both in our organization at one time. Did we get anything back for Cammy? No. Moulson? Nope. Now we have to give up something to get either one of these guys back on the team. Bad.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
Unless he gets hurt while there! God Forbid! The only positive I see is that he gets to play against AHL talent and regain his scoring touch, but what if he doesn't? Will his confidence crash and burn? Forever?

I'd like to think this is because a trade is imminent. Cammy or Moulson is what I hear. Isn't this bad asset management, though? Cuz we had them both in our organization at one time. Did we get anything back for Cammy? No. Moulson? Nope. Now we have to give up something to get either one of these guys back on the team. Bad.

Or Pacioretty if you believe Eklund.

MynameisKing

Sep 29, 2010
GB
Briere? Bourque? Cammy? Moulson? Can DL or DS just take a chance with somebody that they have no connection to? Patches ppppllleeeaaassse!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Briere? Bourque? Cammy? Moulson? Can DL or DS just take a chance with somebody that they have no connection to? Patches ppppllleeeaaassse!

The Kings dont want to trade Voynov, and that is what it's going to take to get Patches. Voynov and then some.

A 25 year old 30 goal winger signed to a great contract is not going to be available for what everyone seems to be offering, some combo of Clifford, Lewis, Forbort, Frattin, Pearson and a draft pick. And that's if he is even available to begin with.

HolyShot*

The Kings dont want to trade Voynov, and that is what it's going to take to get Patches. Voynov and then some.

A 25 year old 30 goal winger signed to a great contract is not going to be available for what everyone seems to be offering, some combo of Clifford, Lewis, Forbort, Frattin, Pearson and a draft pick. And that's if he is even available to begin with.

Daaaaayyyyyuuuuummmm Herby! You're on fire! Where u been all my life?!?! You're like 3 for 3 now son!

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
A free pass? He's 6th on the team in goals with much fewer games played. He's got more points than Dustin freaking Brown. He's had a bad stretch, no doubt, but Brown and Kopi do every year. You don't take skill out of the lineup when you have difficulty scoring, period.

I don't care he's 6th on the team in scoring, he has two points in his last 15 games. Skill is only good when it's doing something. There's a 5 page thread about Richards because he only had 3 assists in 13 games with half of the posters chucking him under the bus. Toffoli has two points in 15 games and he's the skill we need to solve our offensive woes?

I'd rather see him go back and score a bunch of goals than stay here and struggle some more.

It's also worth noting that the Kings are off until Thursday. They could just as easily call him right back up before their game against the Blues. Could be done for cap reasons.

If that's the case, he likely won't play in Manchester and in fact likely won't even leave LA.

Moller wasn't ruined. He was just never that good to begin with.

There's no way to know if he was ruined or not, but the fact is the Kings tossed a raw 19-year-old into the line up and kept him there even when he was struggling. The kid wasn't ready yet they kept him up for half a season (before sending him to the WJHC I believe). It wasn't very good development.

Time for Hemsky:naughty:

No thanks. He's lost that drive he used to have.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

While I understand that an organization doesn't have a legit chance to compete for a cup every season and the Kings are in win now mode, we may have to accept the fact that the new CBA screwed over the Kings because they didn't have any bad contracts to buy out to create cap space for this season.

I don't want to see the Kings creating a hole at a position that is far more important than LW to acquire Pancioretty. When it comes to guys like Cammalleri I think a pick (not a 1st) and a mid-level prospect should be enough. If it's not Dean should just roll with what we have and take a hard look at the roster in the off season when he has more room to maneuver.

I don't see the point in acquiring the likes of Briere and Bourque at all. Moulson would be fine as long as we aren't sending Toffoli to Buffalo.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
While I understand that an organization doesn't have a legit chance to compete for a cup every season and the Kings are in win now mode, we may have to accept the fact that the new CBA screwed over the Kings because they didn't have any bad contracts to buy out to create cap space for this season.

I don't want to see the Kings creating a hole at a position that is far more important than LW to acquire Pancioretty. When it comes to guys like Cammalleri I think a pick (not a 1st) and a mid-level prospect should be enough. If it's not Dean should just roll with what we have and take a hard look at the roster in the off season when he has more room to maneuver.

I don't see the point in acquiring the likes of Briere and Bourque at all. Moulson would be fine as long as we aren't sending Toffoli to Buffalo.

Cammy would cost a 1st judging by past rental costs.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Cammy would cost a 1st judging by past rental costs.

Don't want him then, especially with a recent concussion.

Toffoli also isn't given nearly the opportunity to succeed as Schwartz and Saad have been given. Saad played nearly his entire rookie year on a line with Toews.

The Lombardi apologists can spin this whatever way they like. It's not like Toffoli is out there cruising or not back checking or regularly blowing defensive coverage. In fact it's the exact opposite.

This reeks of typical Lombardi overthinking. He has yet to develop a talented offensive forward. King is the closest thing to it and he's not exactly blowing the doors open this season. Every single impact forward this team has was acquired through trade or was here when Dean took the wheel.

Again, I am unsure whether drafting and developing a top six forward is within Lombardi's abilities as a general manager. The way guys like Clifford, Lewis, and now Toffoli have been handled isn't reassuring.

...and Toffoli has been playing with Mike Richards for quite some time against lesser competition and hasn't done jack. A GM only gets so long to develop a kid in the AHL and correct flaws in his game. Toffoli is losing board battles right and left lately, and is not very good in his own zone. Two things the AHL is tailor made for a player to go down and work on and get better. Now is the time to send Toffoli down so he may have a chance to come back later in the season and play the way the Kings need him to play.

Right now if Toffoli isn't scoring, he isn't contributing. That's something he needs to work on.

Lombardi apologists? Exactly what does Lombardi, or the people that think he is doing a good job, have to apologize for? He made no secret about building from the net out, and it's worked. He made no secret about his thoughts on wingers being the least important position on a hockey team, and it's worked. Is it really all that shocking that in terms of the development program that LW is the one place where the Kings are deficient?

Last edited:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
There's no reason to send Toffoli down for Vey; nor do I believe Pearson, a left winger, is being showcased for a trade; there has to be a certain reason to keep Toffoli down, especially with the Olympic break coming up. Maybe they want Toffoli to keep playing during the break (as I think he should)

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
There's no reason to send Toffoli down for Vey; nor do I believe Pearson, a left winger, is being showcased for a trade; there has to be a certain reason to keep Toffoli down, especially with the Olympic break coming up. Maybe they want Toffoli to keep playing during the break (as I think he should)

Sounds like Toffoli went down because if he stayed with the Kings they couldn't assign him to Manchester during the Olympics, and they want him to play:

The Mayor John Hoven ‏@mayorNHL 22m
Toffoli to Manch explanation... player who plays 15 of 20 games prior to Olympic break can't be assigned to the AHL during Sochi games.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, I don't think too many folks knew about the Olympic break thing, and Toffoli needs to be playing during that time.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
According to Rosen, it had nothing to do with playing to do with the Olympics but was "performance-based."

Gotta say either reason makes sense, but if Toffoli was playing well he wouldn't be going down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad