Toffoli scores off face-off with 0.9 seconds to win game in OT

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Even the NBA has rules on how many tenths of seconds it takes to shoot or tip a ball off an in-bounds play.

Good thing this is the NHL then. The clock is stopped and started by a human based on when he judges the puck hits the ice. I'll leave you to figure out how it could be possible that a few more 10ths time elapses than what is on the actual clock.

And before anyone starts about the Kings cheating, this game was in Boston. #coulombs #neverforget

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
maybe im not a math expert but it seems like its physically impossible since the picture up at top has puck well into net @.4 secs which means it was in net before that and the puck was dropped at .9 seconds
that's why i don't really buy the 0.4 as being correct, it seemed locked up to me

i believe that could happen in 0.9 by accounting for the timekeeper delay and reaction times, 0.5 doesn't seem reasonable

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
No one's claiming conspiracy here, we're just trying to make mathematical sense of it.

I'm sure at some point someone will line up a superimposed stopwatch to the clip of it and then we'll all shut up

Reactions: flamesforcup

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I don't think the clock on the telecast is correct. I don't think it can happen in .5 seconds but it was really damn fast
i think ultimately you end up with a bonus .25-.5s even just off the timekeeper's reaction time to the puck hitting the ice. even young people have .1+s reaction times and we're talking a (probably) older gentleman with maybe not so perfect vision so there's some fractions ticking off there

really bizarre

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Hopefully, we get a video of the Bruins call. I'm still laughing at Jack Edwards saying that there was almost a zero percent chance of the Kings scoring just seconds before the Kings scored.

Edit: I listened to it again and I think that CamMac is right that Edwards was referring to the unlikelihood of the Bruins scoring in the Kings' empty net. Bummer. It was funnier before.

Last edited:

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
They botched the clock in the sense they never had it reset on the telecast and it never started. There's no video I know of that shows the clock starting at .9 then ticking down during the play until the goal. I watched the clip edited to super slo-mo and the whole play from puck drop to goal took right around .9 so it was really really close. Dumb icing by the Bruins and poor fundamentals at the end.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Even if it took a second or more, that's a perfect play and the Bruins deserved to lose for making multiple errors. You can't lose a draw that bad. Just tie Kopitar's stick up.

Reactions: Legionnaire

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
It's clearly not impossible because it just happened.

I think what that person is getting at, is that this sequence seemed to take longer than 0.9s, and they're wondering if they started the clock late and if it was reviewed.

If the time keepers were perfect, they would never do reviews to add or subtract time from the clock so we know that time keeper error is a semi-regular occurrence. It's highly likely that he was a little slow on the draw - was he slow enough to matter? I don't know.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Even if it took a second or more, that's a perfect play and the Bruins deserved to lose for making multiple errors. You can't lose a draw that bad. Just tie Kopitar's stick up.
is that really fair though? i mean kopitar is a horse and he ripped that back, pastrnak spun down and didn't even swipe at the puck, he was trying to get the stick first but got outmuscled

Reactions: KingTrouty

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
It truly feels unbelievable and amazing to see that play and to win it in that fashion. The way the Kings players smiled and celebrated that's a big booster. I blame it on Rask though . Seemed like he quit on the play and thought there was absolutely zero chance of that happening . He didn't even react . Still though Kopi won it cleanly and Toffoli just sniped it

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think what that person is getting at, is that this sequence seemed to take longer than 0.9s, and they're wondering if they started the clock late and if it was reviewed.

If the time keepers were perfect, they would never do reviews to add or subtract time from the clock so we know that time keeper error is a semi-regular occurrence. It's highly likely that he was a little slow on the draw - was he slow enough to matter? I don't know.

Understandable. I think the point is they did review it with the official clock, and they can sync it frame by frame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad