Today I... (part 4)

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I posted a while back in December in here saying I came back after breaking my neck in a game in August. A few weeks after that I partially tore my MCL skiing. FINALLY, after 2 months or so I came back to play tonight for the first time since my injury and only the 2nd time after breaking my neck. My legs definitely weren't there and I definitely wasn't as sharp as I usually am, but I lucked into a goal, scored another on a break away, and had 3 assists. I was so pumped to get back out there and I can't wait till next week!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I posted a while back in December in here saying I came back after breaking my neck in a game in August. A few weeks after that I partially tore my MCL skiing. FINALLY, after 2 months or so I came back to play tonight for the first time since my injury and only the 2nd time after breaking my neck. My legs definitely weren't there and I definitely wasn't as sharp as I usually am, but I lucked into a goal, scored another on a break away, and had 3 assists. I was so pumped to get back out there and I can't wait till next week!

Glad to hear you made your return! I can only imagine how that felt waiting to get back to it. Good going on the goal too :handclap:

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
I am recovering from the mumps. Was really lousy. Missed 2 weeks of league games. Hope to get on the ice Fri & Sun and be ready to go for my next important game on Mon.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
After a wind storm and a snow storm moved last week's game to some undefined time in the future, I was able to take my new Bauer Nexus 7000 skates out for a spin last night.

Overall, I liked them. The biggest issue is that something felt off with the way the blades are set up. I'm guessing the rocker is different than what I'm used to.

Other than that, they were great.

I blocked more shots last night than the rest of the season it seemed like and my D pair was a +1 (1 GF & 0 GA) in a 6-4 win. I'll take it.

The big upside was that I never ate it because of the new skates.

:laugh:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Lots of hockey being played lately. Some good stuff, some forgettable stuff.

Best story I have was from last week, our final game going into playoffs. We were missing our best player and were thusly down a guy, playing a tough team that's usually a close game.

I had 2 goals, both of which completely deflated the other team's biggest *******. I couldn't have been happier. The first, I received a pass and toe dragged him (last man back) and enjoyed a nice breakaway far-side corner snipe from mid-circle.

Later, same guy tied it up (I was on the bench) and does his usual glove-drag/fist pump celebration. Nearly NOBODY does that kinda stuff, and everyone takes the respectful cue from the others and follows suit.

Going into the final minute I went back out. Not sure how I got the puck on my stick after the faceoff, but I went against that guy on the boards, fought him off, took it low circle, fought off their defender who then laid down to block my path for passing, chipped it over his stick and went around the net, got chased around the circle by the D, then slipped a quick shot between us to my teammate who was in the crease looking for the pass. In perfect fashion, it bounced off the other defender and went right in with 30 seconds left. As luck would have it, I was right in front of their bench as this happened so I made sure to honor their cool guy by doing his celebration :laugh:

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Wrapping up my second season of beginner league this month, looking forward to moving up a step next season. I'm still terrible compared to the lifers at pick-up, but I have definitely made a ton of progress since my first game 8 months ago. "Oh crap I don't want to get the puck I'll probably whiff" eventually turned into "I can handle it as long as there's no pressure" and now we're up to "I hope that guy steps up to pressure me, then when I skate by him there will be more open ice to work with."

I always try pick one or two things to work on consciously each game. Last week, they were "don't be afraid to drive to the net when the chance is there" (I'm playing D this season, and it's killing my ego to see all those 0's in the box scores even when I know I did my job) and "look at the goalie's stance before choosing your shot. Low if he's upright, high if he's down" (I've got a bad case of aiming high corner without thinking and putting it right into blockers and gloves).

It all came together three minutes into the game. Kept it in at the blue line, deked around the winger who was coming at me, drove to the net and shot it low past the upright goalie from 15 feet. Had a similar chance in the third period, saw the goalie cheating down, put it over his shoulder and off the crossbar. So close.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
1 goal and 2 assists in a 4-2 win in my first game for a new team. I was pretty happy and I think the team were too

First I collected a rebound behind the goal line, goalie was sprawling in the crease and I tried a bank shot off the back of his leg. It trickled onto the goal line and the winger poked it the rest of the way in.

Then we ended up with a short handed 2 on 1 off a deflected pass, the winger fed me open in the slot, right on my tape; and I froze the goalie before cutting to my forehand and chipping it over his left pad.

Then I got on the outside of the defenceman carrying the puck on my back hand, round the corner and behind the goal line. Goalie thought I was going behind the net but last moment I put a backhand pass through the defenceman's legs to the winger open in front who snapped it inside the far post.

The last two were pretty.

I'm usually pretty critical of myself, but just one of those games where you feel pretty good afterwards.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
first game back from the mumps after ~2 weeks off the ice. Had 2g, 1a but hit THREE crossbars and had another half dozen golden opportunities I should have finished. Snakebit. Can't complain though, stuck a couple and the team won 10-0.

First goal I curled up out of the corner and ripped a snapper bar down near side upper corner, goalie never had a prayer. 2nd one I one timed from about 2-3 strides inside the blue line through a screen, went off the inside of the far post, I don't think the goalie ever even saw it.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
first game back from the mumps after ~2 weeks off the ice. Had 2g, 1a but hit THREE crossbars and had another half dozen golden opportunities I should have finished. Snakebit. Can't complain though, stuck a couple and the team won 10-0.

First goal I curled up out of the corner and ripped a snapper bar down near side upper corner, goalie never had a prayer. 2nd one I one timed from about 2-3 strides inside the blue line through a screen, went off the inside of the far post, I don't think the goalie ever even saw it.

Sounds like you ruined that guy's night :laugh:

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Sounds like you ruined that guy's night :laugh:

Realistically the team we beat doesn't belong in this division. The team I play on always finished middle of the pack and never makes it out of the 1st round of the playoffs, and the team we smoked last night 10-0 probably hasn't won a league game in 2-3 years and gets embarrassed like that weekly. No idea why they bother.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
After a wind storm and a snow storm moved last week's game to some undefined time in the future, I was able to take my new Bauer Nexus 7000 skates out for a spin last night.

Overall, I liked them. The biggest issue is that something felt off with the way the blades are set up. I'm guessing the rocker is different than what I'm used to.

Other than that, they were great.

I blocked more shots last night than the rest of the season it seemed like and my D pair was a +1 (1 GF & 0 GA) in a 6-4 win. I'll take it.

The big upside was that I never ate it because of the new skates.

:laugh:

Not to be a creeper, but do you play at Bill Greys? I've been itching to play after no games for two weeks.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I snagged 3 assists on three goals from teamates in a 3-2 win! I should have had a goal or another assist on an open net, but I elected to pass to our top scorer who missed on the open cage! One more regular season game and than it's playoff time baby!

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
1A in a 3-2 OT loss to our biggest rivals last night. I HATE those guys, can't stand losing to them. Their goalie played out of his mind and we hit a few posts and crossbars, tough loss.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Playoffs start tonight. Luckily our first game is a late one so I can go right from work to the rink and not miss it. I can't wait!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Bounced from the playoffs w/my team in the higher of divisions I play in. I got a big goal which we gave right back, we were a mess most the game. Our two best players were pretty meh, and our best player had his worst game in a while. It's just as well, the finals game to follow would have been a slaughter if we played anywhere near that badly!

Thursday is my other team's semifinals & possible finals, I'm much more impactful & important to that team so I hope I can really bring it!

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
1G, 2A in a 4-0 win last night. Goal was on a snapper that was ripped from the top of the circles, after that I was completely snakebit. Had 6+ legit golden chances that should have been in the back of the net. Glad to get a night of rest after 4 games in 4 nights.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Game #2 in the new skates. I took them to the local Pure Hockey and got them sharpened (1/2 hollow) and things were much better.

Only real issue was the normal fresh sharpening extra bite.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Won our division's championship last night!

Semifinals were against the team that beat us in the finals last season. It got pretty rough and chippy for a while (as expected) but thankfully this time we didn't let them make a comeback. Had 1g1a.

Finals went to OT, and then a shootout. The same way we lost to the above team last season, but we won this time. I had 3g in a 4-4 tie, going into OT. I was going to shoot 3rd in the shootout but my turn ended up being unnecesssary.

Very glad we won, especially glad we took out the reigning champs. Always a dirty game from them, thankfully it riled me up for the 3rd and I started throwing people. If the other team had won the finals, it would have been very well-deserved and hard to hate. I'd much rather them win than the other team, but the one guy I can stand from them did wish us well afterward. The others were too busy jawing with our guys as usual :laugh:

Last edited:

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Had a nice bardown goal and an apple, but we got stomped 8-3. Our goalie had a rough night, and their keeper stood on his head. It was a pretty even game, but we couldn't buy a goal for large swaths.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
2G including the OT GWG in a 6-5 OT win. We blew a 4-1 lead in the 3rd, went back up 5-4, then allowed the tying goal with 48 seconds left. Would have been a brutal L.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Opened the new season with a blowout. I think this is the 3rd season in a row I scored our first goal. Ended up with 3g2a last night. I think the fewest points amassed by someone on our team was 2, we were playing very well and didn't rely on anyone to do everything w/o including others. Very nice to see we didn't miss a step while missing our best player. The other team had an off night for sure, but we still had to try. They have the usual point leader of the whole league, a guy whom I feel is one of the best we play against.

Probably half our goals came from out-positioning them and being able to convert, so change a couple small things and the game was much closer than the score suggested.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Getting close to being a must-win game tonight. Sitting at 2-2-1 now (16 game season), league has greatly improved this season with two new teams replacing two teams that moved down to lower divisions and some of the weaker teams adding new fresh out of college players. We made the finals last season (but were swept), and have a tough slate coming the next few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad