Today I... (part 4)

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
The goalie not turn up or something?

Played fourth day in a row and I was very, very average, not much gas in the tank. Just can't do that sort of thing any more.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Today I wait and wait for our playoff semifinals. It should be a really good game, we match up very well. We usually come out on top but sometimes we just can't stop them. Let's hope tonight is the former!

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
The goalie not turn up or something?

In a matter of speaking, yes. I got three on my first three shots pretty early in the game. The goalie was hung out to dry on the first two and not getting much help in general... Not to take anything away from a good day for me, but I was definitely the beneficiary of an otherwise good goalie having an off day. Either way, I'll take it. "They don't ask how, they ask how many."

Played fourth day in a row and I was very, very average, not much gas in the tank. Just can't do that sort of thing any more.
Uggh, it's the worst to have the want to be out there but your body just says "no." I have the want to skate eight days a week, but realistically, my body will only allow two, maybe three times a week to be at a level where I can make a difference. And even so, that is when I really dedicate myself to my post game recovery.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
Today I wait and wait for our playoff semifinals. It should be a really good game, we match up very well. We usually come out on top but sometimes we just can't stop them. Let's hope tonight is the former!
It's such a rush to be going into a game where you know anything can happen. Good luck, man.

Reactions: Ozz

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Played in the semi-finals yesterday. Down 4-0 mid-way through the first period, I scored a hat trick and the 3rd goal tied the game 8-8 with 6 seconds left in the game. We won in the shootout after that. A comeback for ages.

Reactions: jlt73

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Uggh, it's the worst to have the want to be out there but your body just says "no." I have the want to skate eight days a week, but realistically, my body will only allow two, maybe three times a week to be at a level where I can make a difference. And even so, that is when I really dedicate myself to my post game recovery.

It's pretty much my exercise/fitness regime these days along with some gym work, so I skate (or play) several times a week. I'm smart enough not to overdo it in the gym or to gym it every day, but I've got a terrible habit of spending 2 or 3 hours skating/handling during the day, feeling great afterwards and then thinking I wanna take that out to pick up in the evening..it never works.

When I haven't skated for a couple of days, I'm on my game.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
It's such a rush to be going into a game where you know anything can happen. Good luck, man.

Thanks, we won by 4. It was close until 2 quick ones at the end. I had a couple assists and rang the post & crossbar 4-5x. Not my night for shooting but this season has been horrible for that. Playmaking and everything else was where it's at, and as long as my guys score I'm happy with that!

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Tonight is my first game in C division. My Team got bumped up. I’m sure we will be fine as a team - we’re really good for the most part. but this is where our goaltending will really get exposed cause it’s not great usually lol.

Nov 4, 2017
Today I got a snow day. Being the Canadian I am, I decided it would be fun to shoot pucks into a snowbank I made in front of my net. I was right it was fun, but I will have to wait till the snow melts to find the three that got lost :snow:

Nov 4, 2017
Today I got a snow day. Being the Canadian I am, I decided it would be fun to shoot pucks into a snowbank I made in front of my net. I was right it was fun, but I will have to wait till the snow melts to find the three that got lost :snow:

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Played in an organized pickup game last night on a very unbalanced team compared to the ringers on the other side. I had several shot attempts and rebounds, but just couldn't buy a goal. I did make some really decent plays and passes, going around the D and setting others up, but they mostly missed too.

Still, had a decent enough skate with plenty of time with the puck on my stick. Hoping next week the guy who organizes it realizes how one-sided it was. Some of the older guys (40+) were quite unhappy the other team was so stacked with most of the better and younger players. At least I got a good workout playing centre against their top guy lol.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Took the new skates out for a run. Dont know about others, but always find them awkward for a couple of sessions having to make a few adjustments or dial them in. Probably won't play in them for a week or two.

New skates, new visor..Merry Christmas..to me..from me.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Took the new skates out for a run. Dont know about others, but always find them awkward for a couple of sessions having to make a few adjustments or dial them in. Probably won't play in them for a week or two.

New skates, new visor..Merry Christmas..to me..from me.

Nice, Did you get them baked? Once I got my skates baked I was using them right away with no pain (Easton Makos). What kind of skate did you buy? Hah, you probably deserved all the new gear.

Myself, I played in two games today. First was a pickup game with some older guys with a surprising amount of skill, again no goals but I did hit the post once on a snapper. I snagged 3 assists though, so that felt good since I think I'm more of a play-maker than sniper, although I can snipe sometimes too. I should have shot about 2-3 more times and I might have gotten one. Oh well.

Than in my league game, I set up my centre from behind the net, he missed, but I skated around on the RW and put in his rebound with a decent toe drag and low snapper. We won 3-2, but had 18 minutes of penalties to their 14 minutes. I drew a 4 minute penalty to seal their fate with 3 minutes left. A good day of hockey overall. I might go for a light outdoor skate tomorrow before I watch the Jets (my hometown) take on the Blues. Yew!

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Today we play in a championship game vs. a team that makes some of our refs want to come in or stay and watch because, as one has stated to us before, "you know something is going to happen".

The team is really solid, makes minimal mistakes, and capitalizes on yours. They're very good in that respect but if we're on our game we should be able to take them out as we most often do. They beat us fair & square once in a while, and we're more easily off of our game. Should be an interesting one either way! I don't think things will get too chippy unless one of their guys starts it or the refs are pure garbage like the time they ejected 4 of our guys. We shall see!

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
Nice, Did you get them baked? Once I got my skates baked I was using them right away with no pain (Easton Makos). What kind of skate did you buy? Hah, you probably deserved all the new gear.

X900's, the '17 model. Baked and fit fine, but it's the feel on the ice I always take a little time to adjust to with new skates, same steel as the last pair, but on brand new ones, they're always a little awkward at first, maybe a slightly different profile, old ones having worn down a little and have to make a few adjustments. First time out, skating off a little bit, second time out starting to feel a bit more normal.

Be back out today, probably once more after that and then I'll play in them.

The new visor, well I didn't think the old one was too bad, until I played in the new one, hardly noticed I had one on.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Today we play in a championship game vs. a team that makes some of our refs want to come in or stay and watch because, as one has stated to us before, "you know something is going to happen".

The team is really solid, makes minimal mistakes, and capitalizes on yours. They're very good in that respect but if we're on our game we should be able to take them out as we most often do. They beat us fair & square once in a while, and we're more easily off of our game. Should be an interesting one either way! I don't think things will get too chippy unless one of their guys starts it or the refs are pure garbage like the time they ejected 4 of our guys. We shall see!

Argh, lost in a shootout after exhausting OT. We opened scoring quickly, went down 4-1 by half the game, tied it up middle of the 3rd, and then just couldn't squeak another by. Great game, and a disappointing yet fair loss.

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
X900's, the '17 model. Baked and fit fine, but it's the feel on the ice I always take a little time to adjust to with new skates, same steel as the last pair, but on brand new ones, they're always a little awkward at first, maybe a slightly different profile, old ones having worn down a little and have to make a few adjustments. First time out, skating off a little bit, second time out starting to feel a bit more normal.

Be back out today, probably once more after that and then I'll play in them.

The new visor, well I didn't think the old one was too bad, until I played in the new one, hardly noticed I had one on.

I think that's normal for most people, new skates even baked need some time. I just had a few loose rivets replaced and a fresh sharpen, so my skates felt great last night.

To keep your visor in good condition I would get a fleece helmet bag, or at the least use a pillow case in side of your hockey bag. NASH FLEECE HELMET BAG

Also, I use warm water after a game to rinse it off, than a soft cloth and anti-fog spray to clean it. I've had a visor for nearly 3 seasons now without much wear and tear this way.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I use a pillow case, but only for transporting in the hockey bag, always store it on top of my drying rack.

Fantastic public skate today, 3rd public skate in the new wheels and have been to pick up twice; skates well and truly dialled in now.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Nothing like a good day at the rink.

I am a pass first guy, i enjoy skating with the puck into their zone, go around the goal looking for a pass or rush into the corner then try to do quick turn to loose their D-man, get that extra second to do the cross pass to my rushing defenceman. There are some days when everything goes your way, team mate is perfectly opened when you look up, their D-man tries to play the puck and you rush around him, coast to coast goal and so on....and few beers after.

BuriedInIce

Mar 6, 2010
San Diego
Played my first game in nearly 2 months on Friday. Haven't been off the ice for that long in 10 years. Felt good to get back out there and clear my head. We won 5-3.

Relocating to San Diego this summer. Anyone play out there? Going to be looking for a team and some info on hockey out there.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
Played in an organized pickup game last night on a very unbalanced team compared to the ringers on the other side. I had several shot attempts and rebounds, but just couldn't buy a goal. I did make some really decent plays and passes, going around the D and setting others up, but they mostly missed too.

Still, had a decent enough skate with plenty of time with the puck on my stick. Hoping next week the guy who organizes it realizes how one-sided it was. Some of the older guys (40+) were quite unhappy the other team was so stacked with most of the better and younger players. At least I got a good workout playing centre against their top guy lol.

I prefer playing on the weaker side in pick up games, more fun when it's a challenge. Better workout also.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
2g1a in a 3-5 (with final-seconds empty netter) playoff loss. What a bummer, but I played my ass off and can't feel bad about my game.

Reactions: HansonBro

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Just went for a public skate with my girl. After playing on my outdoor rink this winter, it was very apparent my shoes need sharpening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad