Value of: To Habs, which is the best option? Montour, Dunn or ???

Montour or Dunn?

• Total voters

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah cause a Hobey Baker winner at age 20 isn't elite.

Know who else won the HB at age 20? Johnny Gaudreau.

Caufield is a great player but he isn’t a guy I trade Hanifin for. We have one high end young D for sure, and that is Hanifin. Andersson and Valimaki still have good chances but we can’t open up a huge hole on our blue line to add a winger which we have lots of organizationally.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Caufield is a great player but he isn’t a guy I trade Hanifin for. We have one high end young D for sure, and that is Hanifin. Andersson and Valimaki still have good chances but we can’t open up a huge hole on our blue line to add a winger which we have lots of organizationally.
You wouldn't trade Hanifin for Caufield?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think the Habs will go with depth and trade for a Kulikov and be paired with Romanov.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Asking for Romanov is just as silly tho. Guy is already playong top4 at age 20. He'll be a better dman than Hanifin in a couple of years

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Asking for Romanov is just as silly tho. Guy is already playong top4 at age 20. He'll be a better dman than Hanifin in a couple of years

No it’s really not. Watch the Oilers Flames game from last night. The guy is our best player and I value him similar to Tkachuk.

Hanifin had a plus 18 season in the top 4 at 21/22. Sutter did an interview yesterday and compared him to J-Bouwmeester. He’s a 24 year old elite shutdown top pair D. You don’t trade those unless you get a top asset in return. You just don’t. Especially when most of the Flames depth organizationally is at forward.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
No it’s really not. Watch the Oilers Flames game from last night. The guy is our best player and I value him similar to Tkachuk.

Hanifin had a plus 18 season in the top 4 at 21/22. Sutter did an interview yesterday and compared him to J-Bouwmeester. He’s a 24 year old elite shutdown top pair D. You don’t trade those unless you get a top asset in return. You just don’t. Especially when most of the Flames depth organizationally is at forward.

Hanifin an “elite shutdown top pair D”...now that’s s phrase I would never have thought would be used to describe him,

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hanifin an “elite shutdown top pair D”...now that’s s phrase I would never have thought would be used to describe him,

At least maybe do the tiniest amount of research necessary and look at his advanced stats this year.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Can someone explain to me why the Habs need a LHD and not a RHD? Don't they have a LD playing RD on the 3rd pair?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Nah, I’ll just take your hyperbole at face value and laugh to myself.

Lol this is the most HF response I’ve ever heard.

someone’s just sad they gave up a top pair d and top line forward and will have nothing to show for it.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Montour probably more likely to be available so him.
Dunn was healthy scratched one game and has played better since then. The Blues dont really have anyone available to replace him on D right now with the injuries and other D not being impressive. Dunn is still only an RFA and could be lost in the Seattle expansion draft. Trading him now only risks losing another Blues player to Seattle. As I stated in a different thread, Habs fans obsession with acquiring Dunn is odd.

wasnt a healthy scratch.. had taken a shot off the foot in the crease the game before and held out as precautionary

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Would love to add Ekholm but it looks like he might no longer be available.

OEL would be another fantastic add. But he'd be mighty expensive and there's no way for Montreal to fit in his cap hit unless Phoenix ate about 3 mil per year. Don't see that happening but for what it's worth, I'd give up a first (Yotes don't have one this year) plus Guhle. Then I'd add in Byron and Kulak for salary dumps. If Phoenix wanted a 2nd thrown in, I'd do it too because the 3 mil cap hit to them is something that should be paid for. Yotes get a young prospect who they can pay the minimum to for a few years, plus a few picks, plus some trade assets for next year.

Don't see Phoenix willing to do this. Plus OEL would have to agree to even go to Montreal. Not going to happen but I'd absolutely do it from the Montreal side. OEL would make the Habs legit contenders.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Romanov seems to like playing the right side . Has for quite some time .

That's because the Habs only have 2 RHD at the NHL level and have to play someone on his weak side on the bottom pair...which brings us back to my original point.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Dunn would be an underrated get, add spunk to that defense while having the skillset to roll with Weber or Petry and not be an anchor

Dunn for Poehling should make both teams happy

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Dunn would be an underrated get, add spunk to that defense while having the skillset to roll with Weber or Petry and not be an anchor

No it wouldn’t. Poehling makes no sense. Not sure he will have much of an NHL career

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
That's because the Habs only have 2 RHD at the NHL level and have to play someone on his weak side on the bottom pair...which brings us back to my original point.
Romanov played the right side in Russia to . He’s more comfortable on the right side .

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

While there's nothing wrong IMO with this from a value perspective, the Canadiens need Poehling more next year and in the longterm more than Dunn. I've been a supporter of a Habs pursuing Dunn for a while, but I think they would rather give up picks and/or other prospects (Jordan Harris?) than a one for one with Poehling as they have a very deep Dman prospect pool.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It’s not silly, There is nothing certain that he become as good as Hanifin. In fact if he becomes as good as him I would be happy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad