joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Lock Chucky with 7 plus bonuses for 7.

The fighting guy can get 3,5 for 4.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Once upon a time, everyone thought Brad wouldn't be able to sign all our players. Once upon a time nobody thought we'd be able to sign Gaudreau and Monahan for less than Gio. Once upon a time this board was freaking out (and HF too) when Gio's initial ask was $9 million. Once upon a time we thought we were going to lose Backlund. Once upon a time we were convinced Lindholm and Hanifin were going to cost over $10-12 million to sign long term.

Need I go on?

This fanbase has freaked out about cap crunch year over year, and Brad keeps wowing us. I expect the same with Tkachuk, or at least I'm optimistic he'll get a deal done we can be happy with. Brad's internal signings have been pretty good. External.... mixed bag.

I will say if Tkachuk gets 80+ pts, he’s going to break the Gio cap. Not by a ton, but it’s gonna happen.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I will say if Tkachuk gets 80+ pts, he’s going to break the Gio cap. Not by a ton, but it’s gonna happen.

That's fine. I'm still convinced if it's going to happen, it's going to be in the staged deal that's been discussed to death at this point where his cap hit is the same as Gio's till Gio's deal is done.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yeah he wasn’t going to shoot ~20% all season. If he stays with backs and Bennett he probably finishes in the 30-30 range. Won’t be as bad as people think, I’d do 7x8 in a heart beat with the cap going up

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we don't have to worry about Tkachuk. I think he will sign a good long term deal and try to win a cup. I don't think Matthew will immediately chase the money. I think he chases the top accolade first. Afterwards, all bets are off. But for now, I'd venture a guess that we don't have to worry for this coming contract and Matthew will honor the Gio and Gaudreau cap.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think Sam Bennett is dragging down Tkachuk...keep them together and we may be able to sign Chucky for 5M lol

There should be little doubt that Bennett is not a top 6 player.

He is a good bottom 6 and great guy to have on the team but hope for him to be a scorer should end about now. Michael Frolik has more goals and he hasnt played for a month lol

More likely he'll be in Seattle in a few years.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Tkachuk will be not less than 10m per year in my opinion, but he is worth it.

Not that I want to see any RFA's getting these huge bucks so soon, but since they are, I think he comes in at 10+ million.

Man, this RFA class is going to be paid too much, including our own as well.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

Not that I want to see any RFA's getting these huge bucks so soon, but since they are, I think he comes in at 10+ million.

He is not worth that, if he wants that he'll be sitting out or traded.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
He is not worth that, if he wants that he'll be sitting out or traded.

He brings a lot to the table though?

I think he is a great player, I just don't see these guys (this RFA class) getting underpaid in the least, tough class.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Chucky will want to get something his dad never did a Stanley Cup... He will sacrifice a little money to be on a contender for the Cup.

Johnny's first 3 seasons: 64pts 78pts and 61 pts for a total of 203 pts.
Chucky's first 3 Seasons: 48pts, 49pts, and 77 points for a total of 174 pts.

Johnny was a proven premier play-maker, the runner up for rookie of the year and Matthew was not.
Chucky's things Johnny does not bring: Possible future Selke Calibre play, Physicality, Truculence, leadership and net front presence.

Tre will buying less UFA years for Chucky than he did for Johnny.

With the time that has passed it is likely Tkachuk will be the first to break the Gio cap coming in somewhere between 6.75 - 7.25M for 8 due to inflation. The point totals for Nylander are pretty close but Nylander also had a better playoff run than Matthew going into his contract year.

That said Matthew is likely the last real hard negotiation for Tre until Valimaki's contract comes up for renewal.

With all that said Matthew is still only 21 years old and has already matched Johnny's numbers at age 23 while on the second line in a defensive roll. Can't wait to see the impact on games Matthew makes at age 25.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Chucky will want to get something his dad never did a Stanley Cup... He will sacrifice a little money to be on a contender for the Cup.

Johnny's first 3 seasons: 64pts 78pts and 61 pts for a total of 203 pts.
Chucky's first 3 Seasons: 48pts, 49pts, and 77 points for a total of 174 pts.

Johnny was a proven premier play-maker, the runner up for rookie of the year and Matthew was not.
Chucky's things Johnny does not bring: Possible future Selke Calibre play, Physicality, Truculence, leadership and net front presence.

Tre will buying less UFA years for Chucky than he did for Johnny.

With the time that has passed it is likely Tkachuk will be the first to break the Gio cap coming in somewhere between 6.75 - 7.25M for 8 due to inflation. The point totals for Nylander are pretty close but Nylander also had a better playoff run than Matthew going into his contract year.

That said Matthew is likely the last real hard negotiation for Tre until Valimaki's contract comes up for renewal.

With all that said Matthew is still only 21 years old and has already matched Johnny's numbers at age 23 while on the second line in a defensive roll. Can't wait to see the impact on games Matthew makes at age 25.

Well said, and all good points.

I think if you get him on even just under 8m per, you have done fantastic. I am rooting for players to come down on these damn contract demands.

Reactions: Dack

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Tkachuk will not get over 10 million, I don’t think Marner will even get that. Personally I think he will get the Iginla special.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Well said, and all good points.

I think if you get him on even just under 8m per, you have done fantastic. I am rooting for players to come down on these damn contract demands.
I could see him getting 7 or 8ish with less term. Brad seems to play hardball in negotiations and usually gets fair deals done.
Both Bennett's and Tkachucks contracts are hard for me to predict cause I could see a bridge or long term for either lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
IMO Mark stones contract helps to keep the contacts reasonable. But where contact negotiations ends up, I really don't know.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah, Chucky slowed down, so that helps with negotiations:

7 Year x 7.8M

Bennett:

2 year x 2.3M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad